Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello FolksI have recently purchased a Yeti. Used with 40,000 miles on the clock.
Peering through the front alloy wheels the brake pads are worn on quite an acute angle . i.e. the top of the pads are not touching the disks but the bottom is.
The braking is very good and one is not aware of any "slack" been taken up when applying the brakes.
I understand this is normal and reduces drag, brake squeal etc. When you purchase new pads are they angled?
I have owned many cars and never come across this arrangement before.
Any comments welcome.
John

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Happened to look at my new yetis front brakes today and noticed the pads are angled at the top, the angle makes it look like there is a problem but as both sides are the same it must be how they are made. The only way to check the wear properly is to remove the wheel so you can see both pads, inner pad usually wears more.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Hi johntec, do you mean that the whole length of the pad goes from thin to thick. If it is, could be that the piston is pushing at an angle which is very rare.In the past 5 years I've purchased 2 sets of disc pads and the top part of the pads (about an inch) were angled quite sharply. It's supposed to reduce squealing.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hiya johnteck,dont worry.It's perfectly normal and the same I believe on all vag models.It stop's a square edge developing and squealing as brakes are applied.I'm sure it might apply to many cars nowdays. As and when the angled edge appears to be gone it might just be time to look at changing the pads.So now just get in,drive and enjoy.All the best with your new purchase and I hope you have many miles of carefree motoring.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts