Yeti Owners Club banner

brakes

2K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  The Hood 
#1 ·
On my Yeti 2016 1.2 petrol the brakes snatch and make a scraping sound when used at 0-5mph ....any suggestions? advice?
It was Mot'd last Tuesday 6/10/20 (pass)

#5 ·
23000 miles only, over four years suggests rusted and pitted or scored discs are a possibility. Like The Hood suggested. The MoT brake effectiveness test on the rolling road, uses the brakes fairly hard. So would not necessarily pick up on anything that was only noticeable as a noise at low speed or very gentle braking.

Could it be possible that if the car was taken for a decently long drive, driving like an Italian, or “drive it like you stole it” in another way, might that “cure” the low speed noise problem? Gentle use usn’t Good for the health or longevity of the brakes. They need a good exercise. Like the suspension in the contemporary thread to this.

Either way, it sounds a bit like one of those cars that I would have been inclined to walk away from as a prospective purchaser. On grounds of “not enough miles to be healthy”? But then I do like my higher mileage cars. As listed in my signature.

Reactions: Llanigraham
#6 ·
Mine has always done this "binding" noise. Even after Fred's "drive it like you stole it" exercise (twice) it still makes that noise. Its done 25K over 4 years (can't say how it was treated by previous owner). My local "tame" service people say they can't find anything wrong. Its driven at least 3 times a week. I thought of changing all brakes (discs, calipers, the lot) but that could just be "throwing the baby out with the bath water".

#9 ·
If yours is only driven 3 tiimes a week it may just be a bit of rust as mentioned by bryetian above post, after washing mine i get a little next day, and certainly when at coast and the car is not used for a day or two its more noticable but noise will go after brakes have been applied once

#7 ·
From new, the brakes on my Yeti have been noisier and less progressive at low speeds than either of my two Roomsters. All three are/were low mileage vehicles, so my gut feeling is Yeti and Roomster pads must have slightly different compositions.

Back in the day (I think it was on my Triumph Toledo) I experienced noisy/grabby braking with one set of aftermarket pads, and quiet/progressive braking with another - all on the same discs.

I'm with Ruari on this one. If the MoT testers say it ain't broke - don't fix it!

#8 ·
A sheen of rust on the discs, after parking up in wet weather or after washing the car without drying the discs for example, is almost certainly the cause of brake grab and the scraping noise on subsequent low speed braking. However that should be easily cured by the Flintstone recommended Italian tune up. :)

If the scraping noise continues and is always present then on the single piston, sliding pin type calipers I'd suspect that the pins had become sticky, keeping the pad(s) pressed slightly harder against the disc(s) than they should be. The important bit of the fix is to use the correct grease on the pins; usually a HMP silicon type.

#10 ·
If the noise really irritates sometimes changing to a different brand of pads stops the noise. Mine are silent with Brembo on the back and eTextar on the front. eTextar are more expensive than others but the front wheels are cleaner than the rear with virtually no black dust.

#11 ·
I had pitting and noisy brakes, 3 years and 18k miles from new.

It's a common VAG issue, new discs and pads all round sorted it out.

#12 ·
Wow, many thanks to you all for your input.
It seems that the answers you have all posted answer the question.
I bought the Yeti just before the "Lockdown" and of course it has had little or no use for perhaps a week here and there.
The low mileage also sounds like a contributary factor aswell, (it is an ex-mobility car) and obviously not used very often

#17 ·
As yours is a 1.2 at least you will not have a battle with the rear discs. If you are doing them yourself eurocarparts have regular sales with up to 50% off, although lately they seem to have stuck at 40% off. If they don't have a sale the day you want to buy them, they will the day after. :)

#20 ·
An interesting thread, as I've noticed the 'slow-speed grab' on our Yeti. At normal speeds the braking feels normal and progressive. The car gets used at least 5/6 days out of seven and I take no notice of the thin film if rust after a wash or if it's been standing as it's common to many cars. The discs are lightly scored, but I think they may be originals (around 77k without checking) and will almost certainly get changed as pad changes happen.
The only noise I get when braking is when leaving home in the morning. The last few yards of our drive slope downhill and I've always put the noise down to that light film of rust being wiped off by the first braking of the day.
One thing I have noticed is how relatively free of brake dust the wheels stay on this car. Pretty sure the pads are as fitted by the dealer so they'll have used one of the big names. But this low-speed grab thing is a bit of an oddity so will watch this thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.