Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just refitted my winter rims and tyres so bring on the wet, windy, cold winter.

What a difference with the 215 60R 16'' tyres compared with the 225 17''. The ride is less jittery and far more forgiving of the road surface. I never appreciated the difference as my last Yeti was an S and came with 16'' wheels so there was no significant difference when shod with steel rims and winter tyres.
Now awaiting delivery of my tyre tree so that less space is used storing my summer rims and tyres.
Being organised for once it'll be my luck that we have the warmest and driest November on record.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Where did you get your rims from, Shanco? I'm toying with the ideas as I've seen that a 2WD car with Winter tyres is actually better than a 4WD without

Having said all that, when your stuck on the M1 behind a jack-knifed lorry it won't make much difference

Thanks,

Stephen

·
Administrator
13,118 Posts
StephenWhy not do as I did and get some used alloys, mine are from an Audi and look very similar to some of those fitted by Skoda. They are 215/60/16 and with the Michelin Alpins I get better MPG and a quieter and smoother ride. It also means it is unlikely that your wheels will become stuck on.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got mine from Sinclair Skoda, Swansea. The rims were fifty odd pounds each. The Hood probably got his a lot cheaper and are basically the same rims. Hope that helps, Shanco

·
Registered
394 Posts
Thanks for the post and photo Derek, they look very nice
and I'm amazed at the price. I'm interested in this topic as we have run Disco 1's for many years on road tyres, Pirelli Scorpions usually,with out a problem. The Pirelli's are more like a winter tyre discussed here that we used all year with good results when we took the old girl off the black stuff.
I've always been a bit dubious about the modern tyres like the Dunlop D1's standard fitment in the snow/slush but we'll see how we get on this winter and perhaps change to something more winter like when they wear out.

·
Administrator
13,118 Posts
I got the wheels from eBay, they were collect only which often puts people off bidding. The link below can be updated with your postcode, then choose a category andit will list collect only items within a set radius. If you bide your time something will come along, I actually had the wheels three months before the car!! I also managed to get a set for my wife's car.

http://www.localbargainfinder.com/

·
Registered
394 Posts
LOL - I've just had a look on the bay and there are a set local for a VW, I've just pm'ed the seller to check the offset. You never know and time is on my side, if it gets really bad we'll use the Defender!
That link's good - not seen that before! I'll have a play...

·
Registered
394 Posts
Yes, it seems VW/Audi come in ET35 & 45, so I thought it worth checking. Apparently there are some Ssang-yong wheels that fit too!
Your link lead to aset of steels with tyres just up the road! Don't really want steels but if they don't make much I might just chuck them on for this winter.

·
Administrator
13,118 Posts
The link below will give you an idea of which wheels will fit your Yeti. Mine came from an A6, my wife's Fusion wears Mondeo wheels shod with winter tyres. The Yeti offset is 45 not 47 as shown, so it is best to check the exact measurements when you do find some wheels although 47 will fit. Someone with a 170 Yeti will have bigger brake discs and so may not be able to fit 16 inch wheels.
http://www.wheelfitment.eu/
If you find some that are not local and you want them, this link is useful. You just enter where you want your item collected from and where you want it taken to and couriers will give competitive quotes. I have used this several times.
http://www.shiply.com/shipley.php?source=bing-ppc-brand

1 - 11 of 11 Posts