Yeti Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all iv had my skoda 2 years and love the old girl 2011 2.0 tdi 140 bhp after remap ,let's get straight to it , I had a problem, my head lamp bulb died and the bulb warning light come on but after I replaced it the **** thing stayed on. I've since found a goldfish in my RHR tail lamp so I fixed the seal and cleaned up the bulb holder with some sand paper and my rear fogs are fine.. So now the question or two˜� Ok one is there front fog lights because they don't come on when I switch the switch . And two why is the bulb still on my dash ? Any help would be massively appreciated I hate lights on me dip well don't we all .. Thanks in advance guys and girls

·
Premium Member
5,746 Posts
Yes there are fog lights; they are in the lower part of the inner lights, below the daylight running lights.The maxidot display should tell you which bulb is out when you turn on the ignition.
Did you accidentally unplug the fog light when you replaced the headlight bulb? Or disturb any of the wiring in that area?
Have you checked the fuses?

·
Premium Member
Yeti S+ 2010 2.0TDi CR110 2WD Manual
7,039 Posts
Spenswar said:
..... I've since found a goldfish in my RHR tail lamp so I fixed the seal and cleaned up the bulb holder with some sand paper and my rear fogs are fine....
That's interesting! I had a very similar problem with our Yeti 2 years ago - the RHR tail lamp cluster half full of water in the mid section, the "C" shaped part, where the tail lamps themselves are. Flooding the lower of the two tail lamps. Although surprisingly the bulb as still working! After cleaning the contacts on the bulb holder and drying out the lens cluster itself, I traced the source of the ingress to a poor seal along the top edge of the cluster. Re-sealed that with some silicone. Then just in case it leaked water in again drilled a couple of drain holes in the downward face of the rear reflector shape of the cluster - the area that wouldbe out of sight facingthe bodywork when the cluster was back on the car. Been perfectly fine ever since.

At the time I thought it was a one-off / rogue lens cluster? Reported on here (or could have been the "other place"?)but no others reported similar - till now. Perhaps there was a small batch with poor sealing? Perhaps not? Mine is a 2010 vintage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your reply yes it sounds like u had the exact problem I had goo idea drilling the light I will do that thanks a lot . Now the fog lights have me miffed when I look at the lamps there's no wires in the back at all and I'm sure the fog lamps worked when I first had the girl .. Can anyone please tell where the front fog lamp fuse is please because I can not find it .. Ps thanks all for your replys I really appreciate the help. # miffed regards Spens

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for reply Flint I don't think that middle computer is working properly although it does everything else except tell me which build is out lol

·
Premium Member
5,746 Posts
The fuse will be in the fuse box, which is in the panel at the drivers end of the dash board, when you open the door.Remember that if you look at the diagram in the Handbook, the actual fuse box is upside down to the printed diagram.
What spec is your car; S, SE, etc?

·
Premium Member
7,039 Posts
Correct! As Graham will tell you / in another thread, it took me three attempts to find the end of dash fuse holder!
As the removable plastic panel was so well fitted to the rest of the dash, I couldn't believe it was a separate item and kept thinking it was all one moulded plastic lump! You have to turn your head upside down to find the tiny slot in the lower edge where you can insert a small flat blade to lever off the panel. Then as Graham says, keep your head that way to figure out which fuse is which. (Or hold the handbook fuse layout diagram upside down, whichever is easier).

Our Yeti is away with SWMBO again today, or I would take a look which fuse for you. Being used as workhorse to transport plants and compost for a school Garden Club project. While I put new brake discs, pads, calipers, pipes, + rear springs and dampers on the BMW. MoT tomorrow!

Edited by: Flintstone

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello all thanks for the replys sorry for my late replys been working in a Victorian mine doing 12 hour shifts. I'm going to look into the fuse I have had the panel off but couldn't see the fog lamp fuse . Although I thought that the day time running lights were the same bulb ?? I'll have to dig out the hand book this weekend and give it a once over Im away all week now. Thanks again everyone will let u know how I go on. Best regards spens to

·
Premium Member
5,746 Posts
Don't forget the fuses are upside down compared to the diagram in the book!
No, the DRL's are the upper bulb and the fog light a totally separate bulb below. You can see them quite clearly if you look through the glass.

·
Premium Member
2,751 Posts
Just a quicky about remapping.DO MAKE SURE your insurance company is informed! I was having just this conversation with a friend of mine 10 minutes ago.
If you are unlucky enough to have a prang and they discover it is an undeclared remap you are stuffed. They will not pay out!
I know it is very difficult to detect a remap as opposed to a re~chipping. But it can't be beyond the wit of man to find out if they put their minds to it. Not worth risking IMHO.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Slightly different problem for me... two of my rear light bulbs had turned silver. :surprise:

But no longer. Although now I've got the MFD nag plus a warning light.

Deets and pics as always over on my site for any interested owner.

https://skodayeti.net/rear-lights-bulb-replacement/

(I have a plan on how I'm going to clear the bulb warning)

·
Premium Member
2015 Elegance Greenline II
6,777 Posts
There should already be a Torx driver for removing the light cluster in the tools included in the boot.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I changed a reversing lamp bulb and the error message just cleared itself :smile: I would've expected yours to do the same.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I changed a reversing lamp bulb and the error message just cleared itself :smile: I would've expected yours to do the same.
Okay. Thanks.

I changed the bulbs yesterday and still have the error message. Will be great though if it does just go away.

·
Premium Member
7,039 Posts
Evening Daniel,

Re: "Is it normal for the bulbs to go silver?"
Short answer is - YES. All tungsten filament incandescent bulbs will do this eventually :smile:
Long answer: in order to emit light, the fine tungsten element has to be heated to white hot. Literally. By passing electricity through it. That's why bulbs get too hot to touch when in use and some extra high power headlamp bulbs ("for off road use only") have been known to melt polycarbonate lenses like on modern cars, unless those are far enough away from the bulb. The white hot tungsten gradually gives off a vapour of pure metal atoms. Over time those condense on the coolest part of the bulb - the inner face of the glass envelope. Creating a fine layer of tungsten metal that gradually builds up, atom by atom. Till it eventually looks "silver" from the outside.

For some reason I've never properly understood, its a process that seems to accelerate as the bulb ages. Initially the rate of vaporisation is low. As the bulb ages, the silvering accelerates. Just like me (and I presume you?) gradually growing more and more white hair :smile: Bulbs go silver too!

Incidentally that's also the main reason why they fail completely. The tungsten filament grows thinner and thinner, till eventually the vibration of normal travel does for it. Although these days its more common for them to "silver" up and go dim before that happens. Like yours did.

Re: "Why is the warning light still on and the Maxidot message displayed?
The picture on your web site project yeti story line shows you bought W3W bulbs from a local Tesco. I.E. 3 watts each. Presumably they were cheap? Do you know if the old (silvered) bulbs were also W3W? Might be worth checking the opposite side if the old bulbs are long gone? The rating should be in very fine print on the outer surface of the bulb body.
For UK spec Yeti at least, the Euro Car Parts web site (see picture attached) lists a W5W bulb as specified for the tail lights (and front side lights). I'm pretty sure this is normal, and my spare bulb kit certainly has a couple of W5W Ring (maker's name) bulbs in it.
If my theory is correct, the car's bulb warning system will only be seeing a 6 watt drain on that side. When it is expecting 10 watts. Thus it may still think you have a blown bulb?

P.S. While buying spare bulbs, you may want to get a pair for the left side anyway? Even the W5W are cheap as chips. If left and right bulbs are the same age, the left side pair will be slowly silvering up too, and their failure may not be far behind? Unless those were changed before you bought the car? Again a visual check would reveal what sort of state they are in. Given you now know how clear new bulbs should appear.

Good Luck. :smile:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2015 Elegance Greenline II
6,777 Posts
Are W3W bulbs that you have fitted as tail lights not instrument bulbs and only 3w?
Should they not be W5W?
That's probably why the warning is showing.

Edit: Flintstone beat me to it.

·
Premium Member
7,039 Posts
Edit: Flintstone beat me to it.
Cheers Nic. Its usually t'other way round. While I'm writing my overly long epistle as a sort of random brain contents dump, someone nips in with a more succinct reply. :surprise:

I was wondering what application W3W bulbs might possibly be used for? Now I know too. :wink:

Reactions: Urrell

·
Premium Member
5,746 Posts
Agreed, W3W bulbs are the wrong bulbs, therefore the system is sensing an inadquate load so is presuming there is a failed bulb, just as it does when people fit LEDs with resistors. The only "cure" is to fit the correct bulbs.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Guys, thanks so much.

If only I would have checked first instead of rushing I would have learnt that the bulbs must be W5W. :eek:

I will now rip those W3W bulbs out and replace with the correct ones. And I'll do what Flintstone says and fit a new set in the other side as well so they'll all be new and matching. I will also update the article on my site and admit my mistake.

I never profess to being an expert on all things Yeti, just a huge fan of it.

Thanks once again.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Correct bulbs now fitted, and on both sides.

I have updated my article to reflect my mistake. And I have also credited you guys for highlighting my error plus added the link to this thread (not that my little website is of any real importance to Yeti owners, but it's the right thing to do).

https://skodayeti.net/rear-lights-bulb-replacement/

Thank you once again for your help.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts