Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just bought a grey 2013 Yeti 170 Elegance, registration OE13 HNW from a dealer, and wondered if anyone on here is its previous owner. I'd like to try and build up a picture of its history but due to GDPR all service receipts/documentation from its past has been binned by the dealer other than the service booklet. Entries in this are encouraging as to work done and who by (reputable companies so far), but obviously don't give the whole picture.

Does anyone on here wish to put up their hand as a previous owner of OE13 HNW?

I look forward to hearing from you, I think. I hope it's good news (I'm crossing everything, and what isn't crossed is tied in a knot...)

T

·
Premium Member
1,917 Posts
Are not previous owners listed on V5?
You will have to get contact number somehow though.

·
Premium Member
6,256 Posts
Are not previous owners listed on V5?
You will have to get contact number somehow though.
Not any more. No names or addresses, just the total number of former keepers. Depending on who is actually selling the vehicle you may see the immediately previous owner in the change of Owner section. But when the new V5C comes back from Swansea, that will be gone too. Data protection is quite strict on that type of data.

Same reason dealers will tend to shred previous history such as invoices - in case the invoices show the name and address of the owner at the time. A shame, but that’s the way it is.

Reactions: Dutchman

·
Premium Member
1,917 Posts
Not any more. No names or addresses, just the total number of former keepers. Depending on who is actually selling the vehicle you may see the immediately previous owner in the change of Owner section. But when the new V5C comes back from Swansea, that will be gone too. Data protection is quite strict on that type of data.

Same reason dealers will tend to shred previous history such as invoices - in case the invoices show the name and address of the owner at the time. A shame, but that’s the way it is.
How long that been?
Is it since the new V5's came in?
Just had look at my daughters V5 issued in 2015 (may be the old one think they may have changed) and previous owners name and address is on there.

Edit; will check my own which i had in 2017

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
How long that been?
Is it since the new V5's came in?
Just had look at my daughters V5 issued in 2015 (may be the old one think they may have changed) and previous owners name and address is on there.
The change to remove the previous keeper's details happened in 2018; which is when GDPR was enacted.
Since then the V5 shows just the current keeper's details and the number of previous keepers.

·
Premium Member
6,256 Posts
Even on pre-2018 V5s only the immediately previous keeper was listed. Not the full list like on a proper log book.

·
Premium Member
1,917 Posts
Even on pre-2018 V5s only the immediately previous keeper was listed. Not the full list like on a proper log book.
Yes it was only the one on the 2015 V5 i saw

·
Premium Member
1,917 Posts
The change to remove the previous keeper's details happened in 2018; which is when GDPR was enacted.
Since then the V5 shows just the current keeper's details and the number of previous keepers.
Quick question regarding V5 to follow.

When my Daughter purchased the car in 10/2015 and i mine in 2/2017 the V5's are identical in the top circle right hand corner are the letters V5C(W) and 11/16 under.
Both show the previous keeper details.
Are these V5's the current ones we were issued with? I was sure that we had to scrap original ones and they were replaced, but may be wrong, because i can not find any others anywhere.

The question is (original Q but would like an answer of above) my Daughter has just scrapped the car and now needs to inform DVLA, if the V5 in front of me is valid all is ok but if it is the old one (and i can not find new one) and a new one was issued "WILL" the 11 digit "document" reference number the DVLA need be the same?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
The question is (original Q but would like an answer of above) my Daughter has just scrapped the car and now needs to inform DVLA, if the V5 in front of me is valid all is ok but if it is the old one (and i can not find new one) and a new one was issued "WILL" the 11 digit "document" reference number the DVLA need be the same?
I have three V5s for my Discovery. One from when I bought it in 1994; one from when lots of V5s were stolen and DVLA issued new 'red' ones and a recent one from when I moved house.
The reference number is different on each one.

·
Premium Member
1,917 Posts
I have three V5s for my Discovery. One from when I bought it in 1994; one from when lots of V5s were stolen and DVLA issued new 'red' ones and a recent one from when I moved house.
The reference number is different on each one.
Thanks , that at least clears that up if i have the old V5's i can not process it with (wrong) numbers.

Just need any confirmation now that the V5's i am looking at are the newest ones.

·
Premium Member
6,256 Posts
As I understand it Nigel, your daughter's existing V5C will be perfectly valid. "Old" style remain valid until you have cause to change the details. The re-issue is then in the "new" style with reduced information.

You are right that a 2015 version of the V5C (I still have one of those for the BMW in my "Fleet") has a serial number in the top right corner of the front page. In the same circular window as the "V5C" document code itself. In the 2020 version of the document, that circle has now moved over to the top left and has squished into a Ford shaped oval. Version numbers of the V5C documents themselves suggest the style and content last actually changed in January 2019.

In both cases though, the number you need to quote in correspondence is the 11-digit "Document Reference Number", from half way down the front page on a 2015 era document, but also repeated on the tear-off slip for "Selling or transferring your vehicle to a motor rader, insurer or dismantler". The "dismantler" being the operative business type in your case. Section 9 of a 2015 issue document. Section 4 of a 2020 issue document.

HOWEVER.....
If I read correctly your question in #9....
IF you have been issued a more recent style V5C for the car at some point since 2015, but do not have that more recent document in your hand (simply cannot find it, or more likely perhaps never had a more recent version?)....
THEN the Document Reference Number on the 2015 version WILL be different from the Document Reference Number on any more recent issue. Every fresh issue of a V5C, for such a thing as a minor change of address for example, generates a new Document Reference Number. In my experience. (I ended up changing details on the KA in my fleet twice in 2020. Once for a new address. Then again for a new keeper.)
I would not worry about that though. While every Document Reference Number is unique, Swansea should still be able to trace the vehicle in their systems. Just send them the yellow tear-off slip that you have from the document issued in 2015.

Or if in doubt, you could ask DVLA to issue a new V5C, saying your copy of the original had been accidentally destroyed. Before then telling them the car had been scrapped?

[Aside: this does remind me of an episode around 3 years ago. When DVLA sent me the V5C for a newly registered BMW 1-series. Which came as quite a surprise to me as I had no recall of buying such a car, nor did I hold the car in question in my posession. It was immediately obvious to me that the selling dealer had simply made an administrative error and quoted my address to DVLA when the real customer was a different client in their systems, who happened to have the same surname, and possibly the same first initial as me. (It is quite a common surname in this part of the world). DVLA, quite understandably, would not contemplate withdrawing the V5C without a written submission from the dealer. The BMW dealership (the local site of national chain Stratstone, part of the Pendragon Group) however refused to acknowledge the error, as they had no record of the V5C application in their system. (I eventually reached the conclusion the guilty party had deleted the record to cover up their error. Or any paper copy of the application had been shredded already). The records they did have showed the correct buyer had paid for and received delivery of the car. Six months, eight phone calls, four letters, two changes of Sales Managers and one personal visit to the dealer showrooms later. It was not until I challenged the dealer's overall site Executive in charge, to deliver the car to me, that they and DVLA were saying I was the legal owner/keeper of, that the dealer eventually acknowledged it WAS their c0ck-up after all and write grovellingly to DVLA to rescind the V5C in my name. I think it may have helped that by then, the true owner was also asking why he hadn't received a V5C. Meanwhile I was technically liable for any driving offences that the true owner may have committed. Fortunately there were none. I did have to return the original V5C to Swansea in its entirety. (But not before taking a copy for my own reference). Another of the reasons why I have trouble trusting the large chain dealerships of any marque.]

·
Premium Member
1,917 Posts
As I understand it Nigel, your daughter's existing V5C will be perfectly valid. "Old" style remain valid until you have cause to change the details. The re-issue is then in the "new" style with reduced information.

You are right that a 2015 version of the V5C (I still have one of those for the BMW in my "Fleet") has a serial number in the top right corner of the front page. In the same circular window as the "V5C" document code itself. In the 2020 version of the document, that circle has now moved over to the top left and has squished into a Ford shaped oval. Version numbers of the V5C documents themselves suggest the style and content last actually changed in January 2019.

In both cases though, the number you need to quote in correspondence is the 11-digit "Document Reference Number", from half way down the front page on a 2015 era document, but also repeated on the tear-off slip for "Selling or transferring your vehicle to a motor rader, insurer or dismantler". The "dismantler" being the operative business type in your case. Section 9 of a 2015 issue document. Section 4 of a 2020 issue document.

HOWEVER.....
If I read correctly your question in #9....
IF you have been issued a more recent style V5C for the car at some point since 2015, but do not have that more recent document in your hand (simply cannot find it, or more likely perhaps never had a more recent version?)....
THEN the Document Reference Number on the 2015 version WILL be different from the Document Reference Number on any more recent issue. Every fresh issue of a V5C, for such a thing as a minor change of address for example, generates a new Document Reference Number. In my experience. (I ended up changing details on the KA in my fleet twice in 2020. Once for a new address. Then again for a new keeper.)
I would not worry about that though. While every Document Reference Number is unique, Swansea should still be able to trace the vehicle in their systems. Just send them the yellow tear-off slip that you have from the document issued in 2015.

Or if in doubt, you could ask DVLA to issue a new V5C, saying your copy of the original had been accidentally destroyed. Before then telling them the car had been scrapped?

[Aside: this does remind me of an episode around 3 years ago. When DVLA sent me the V5C for a newly registered BMW 1-series. Which came as quite a surprise to me as I had no recall of buying such a car, nor did I hold the car in question in my posession. It was immediately obvious to me that the selling dealer had simply made an administrative error and quoted my address to DVLA when the real customer was a different client in their systems, who happened to have the same surname, and possibly the same first initial as me. (It is quite a common surname in this part of the world). DVLA, quite understandably, would not contemplate withdrawing the V5C without a written submission from the dealer. The BMW dealership (the local site of national chain Stratstone, part of the Pendragon Group) however refused to acknowledge the error, as they had no record of the V5C application in their system. (I eventually reached the conclusion the guilty party had deleted the record to cover up their error. Or any paper copy of the application had been shredded already). The records they did have showed the correct buyer had paid for and received delivery of the car. Six months, eight phone calls, four letters, two changes of Sales Managers and one personal visit to the dealer showrooms later. It was not until I challenged the dealer's overall site Executive in charge, to deliver the car to me, that they and DVLA were saying I was the legal owner/keeper of, that the dealer eventually acknowledged it WAS their c0ck-up after all and write grovellingly to DVLA to rescind the V5C in my name. I think it may have helped that by then, the true owner was also asking why he hadn't received a V5C. Meanwhile I was technically liable for any driving offences that the true owner may have committed. Fortunately there were none. I did have to return the original V5C to Swansea in its entirety. (But not before taking a copy for my own reference). Another of the reasons why I have trouble trusting the large chain dealerships of any marque.]
Thanks, yes bryetian did confirm different numbers on each V5 issued.

What threw me is that reply in post 6, as i was certain that some years ago i had to send V5 back and a new one was given and i kept the originals.
I thought it must have been then, but as the reply just info on them changed.
It must have been years ago that i was thinking of.
As mine and my daughters are the same and i can not find any others, they must be the current ones.

Will just fill in on line with that no, and reg no so all should be ok.

Thanks all

1 - 13 of 13 Posts