Yeti Owners Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My elderly relative has a Yeti which has covered a mere 9000 miles since the vehicle was purchased from new! The car is just coming up to 5yrs old. The dealer has suggested that the Cam belt be replaced. I guess this sounds reasonable given the age of the vehicle and the potential material degradation of the part. However, as a pensioner he’s obviously a little alarmed at the circa £500 bill to replace it by the Skoda dealer.
Question: Is it really necessary to replace it after 5yrs with the “barely run in” mileage? I appreciate the potential engine damage if the belt fails, but, is this a must change “no brainier” or more a case of….”change it at 9000…are you mad”?
Any help would be extremely welcome

·
Premium Member
Kia Niro HEV2 and MG Midget
5,968 Posts
There have been numerous threads on this subject and all of them say that on low mileage vehicles it is even more important to replace the cam belt and water pump than in high mileage ones at the due time.
So yes, get it done!

Reactions: Flintstone

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers! Much appreciate the advice!
My relative is more comfortable now knowing that it’s ”highly recommend” rather than a dealer money making exercise!
PS…..thanks for the rapid response👍

·
Premium Member
2015 Elegance Greenline II
7,128 Posts
If the 1.2 Tsi engine the belt will beed replacing as above but not the water pump as unlike the diesel it does not run on the cam-belt.

·
Administrator
5,898 Posts
Urrell means the 1.2 TSi, the petrol engine, which doesn't need the water pump changing at the same time.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
£500 is the going rate we pay for this from a Skoda dealer in UK. Some independents will be able to do it cheaper, providing they have the time and the correct equipment.

·
Registered
454 Posts
You know how the mind wanders (mine does all day), well for some reason I was thinking about something my father said a few years ago. He was looking at getting a motorhome, Fiat Decato based, a number of owners were reporting that the cambelt failed at very low mileage, but the same engine in vans etc. didn't suffer in the same way.
Going by the general train of thought on here (and other forums) regarding cambelts liking a regular workout, it's no wonder the motorhomes were suffering cambelt failures as they sit on the drive all winter, never started, and in the summer still only get infrequent use.

·
Premium Member
Yeti Outdoor 2017 SEL TDi150 4x4 Manual
7,606 Posts
For those who haven't seen it before, here's the background theory on why time is a better guide to belt life than mileage. Summary at the end.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts