Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got a 66 plate manual 1.2tsi Yeti and just want to check if, or when I should get the cam belt changed. The car has just over 19,000 on the clock at present. I think it’s every 5 years for cars manufactured after 2012, but though I’d check.

Thanks, Gaz

·
Premium Member
4,768 Posts
Five years or thereabouts sounds right. Regardless of mileage. Same for the Diesel engines with belt driven cams.

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Henry is correct, it is every 5 years. Mileage is not considered.

·
Premium Member
4,768 Posts
For engines that were built prior to 2012, once the original belt has been replaced with a belt manufactured to the more recent, more durable spec. As nearly all still running now will. Then those too switch to a 5-year replacement cycle ongoing. It’s the age of the belt that is more important now, than the age of the car. Our Yeti is now 43,000 miles and 2 years into its third cam belt since leaving the Czech assembly plant. I’m working on a further three years life for the belt.

Modern belt life is age related rather than mileage, as with the modern materials and construction its the internal, unseen elements of the belt that tend to degrade over time, rather than wear on the teeth that may have been mileage related on belts made 20 years ago.

It’s another of those areas where “low mileage” can also lull people into a totally false sense of equating with low maintenance requirement, when the opposite is the case. Things like drive belts and suspension bushes, if not exercised regularly, but left in one fixed position over prolonged periods, tend to get the internal structures “set” in that position. So when they are used, the internal degradation is accelerated, compared to the belt or bush that is exercised every day and runs at full operating temperature. Hence when cam belts were recommended for replacement on a mileage estimate, based on an average number of miles per year, low mileage cars tended to be subject to premature failure, long before that mileage was reached. While other owners had stories of “my XYZ car did 150,000 miles in 4 years on its original belt, so all this talk of belts needing to be replaced every 50,000 is baloney”. Yes, such mileages are no doubt possible - on cars that run hundreds of miles on motorways, at full temperature, every day, and seldom spend more than a handful, of hours parked up, cold and immobile. So the modern advice is to measure belts by age, not mileage.
(Regular readers know this is my soap box subject - climbing off the box again now... :)
Till the next time.....)

·
Registered
61 Posts
I thought they were chains not belts.....my 2010 1.2 Tsi petrol is chain (The new better chain after engine destructed due to early bad VW chain design/manufacture and free new engine fitted)

·
Administrator
4,431 Posts
I thought they were chains not belts.....my 2010 1.2 Tsi petrol is chain (The new better chain after engine destructed due to early bad VW chain design/manufacture and free new engine fitted)
The OP has a 66 plate which is a belt. Different engine to the CZBZ in the 2010 which as you say is a chain cam.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts