Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just booked my 2016 1.2TSI DSG SEL in for oil change service & MOT at my local independent service garage which I have used for 20+ years and rate them highly.
Was told Cam belt can't be done by them as they don't have the kit. Strange as they did both my previous cars (VW's - Bora and Lupo).
Also was told, after they checked my reg plate, that my timing belt wasn't due for change until 120,000 miles!!
I questioned this and they hummed and hared, saying some Skoda TSI's didn't need cam belt changed till then.
Now they aren't a stupid lot, wouldn't turn business away and never been known to lie.
Any of our long-standing and experienced members any comments to make please?
Thanks

·
Registered
377 Posts
Seems really odd they say they don't have the kit...

I've not trawled the whole service manual, but this looks like the list of 'special tools' needed, but maybe they are very specific to the 1.2TSI?

1612273423077.png
Assuming that I have the right manual...

1612273617021.png

Spag

·
Administrator
15,252 Posts
Your profile shows as Crowthorne, try giving MOTEST Camberley a call, they are VAG aware and "allowed" to touch my Yeti. They use TPS parts.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Spag
Ah! "Assuming" is the key word here Spags!!

Reactions: spagley

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your profile shows as Crowthorne, try giving MOTEST Camberley a call, they are VAG aware and "allowed" to touch my Yeti. They use TPS parts.
Thanks Derek - Have done that and await answers to my 4 posed questions.
Any thoughts on the alleged 12k miles before change?

·
Premium Member
5,561 Posts
Thanks Derek - Have done that and await answers to my 4 posed questions.
Any thoughts on the alleged 12k miles before change?
I think it has been pointed out numerous times here that VAG no longer stipulate any mileage figures for belt renewal on any of their engines, but rely solely on a time basis.

Funnily enough, when I took my first Yeti in for the belt to be changed my local garage wasn't interested in doing it, and there were more profitable jobs available.

·
Administrator
15,252 Posts
The last time mine was done Skoda were only slightly dearer and so they got the job. I used to do my own timing belt changes but things are too cramped without decent facilities.

·
Administrator
5,360 Posts
Spag - Ruari's engine is probably a CYVB given it's age and the chain timing belt older version was the CBZB.

I've not trawled the whole service manual, but this looks like the list of 'special tools' needed, but maybe they are very specific to the 1.2TSI?

View attachment 5201

View attachment 5202

Spag
Ruaris engine is probably a CYVB and the older timing chain version of the 1.2TSi was CBZB

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Spag - Ruari's engine is probably a CYVB given it's age and the chain timing belt older version was the CBZB.

Ruaris engine is probably a CYVB and the older timing chain version of the 1.2TSi was CBZB
Yes Ken - you are right! It is a CYVB.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update for you Derek. Motest have come back with a quote.
5 hours work at £355
Parts & VAT £387
Total £742

Parts listed as: CAM BELT KIT
WP WATER PUMP
AUX AUXCILLARY BELT
ANF ANTI-FREEZE

Your comments would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,322 Posts
Water pump not usually needed on the 1.2 as belt does not run on it.
Edit: This is our local independent VAG workshop Yeti cam-belt rates.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Water pump not usually needed on the 1.2 as belt does not run on it.
Edit: This is our local independent VAG workshop Yeti cam-belt rates.
View attachment 5205
Thank you Urrell but we don't live in the north so we pay through the nose. Down here they quote "from £350" but don't tell you about the £400 in parts needed also.

·
Premium Member
6,322 Posts
We are hardly The North.

Reactions: Flintstone

·
Premium Member
4,426 Posts
Ruari - £71 per hour seems high. Why not try an independent garage experienced with VW group vehicles? This article shocked me! Not sure when it was published.
flexed.co.uk/much-pay-local-mechanic-one-hours-labour/

·
Premium Member
5,561 Posts
That price suggests they don't want the job.

And sorry Jimmy, but £70 an hour is quite normal. The independent I used in Aberaeron was charging £75 an hour.

·
Registered
Yeti 2017 2.0TDi 4x4 L&K
331 Posts
Should be £500 at a Skoda Dealer if they do Approved Used Fixed Price Servicing.

Reactions: Robjon

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
I seem to have had a bargain at my "local" village garage for £350 all in belt & water pump., + oil and filter
Cash though ;);):whistle::whistle:

·
Administrator
15,252 Posts
Ruari - £71 per hour seems high. Why not try an independent garage experienced with VW group vehicles? This article shocked me! Not sure when it was published. flexed.co.uk/much-pay-local-mechanic-one-hours-labour/
I don't know the Skoda dealer hourly rate but the local Ford main dealer is £115 per hour plus VAT. I could book my Yeti in for a service with Rainworth Skoda Mansfield, drive up there, borrow one of their loan cars for some sight-seeing and then drive home in the Yeti after it has been serviced and actually save money.

·
Administrator
15,252 Posts
Update for you Derek. Motest have come back with a quote.
5 hours work at £355 Parts & VAT £387 Total £742
That is far more than I paid at a Skoda Dealer, looks like they don't want the job. The link provided by Logicleee shows a Skoda price of £500.Might be worth trying Garland in Aldershot for a Skoda fixed price job.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 52 Posts