Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi y'all, a proud, but very confused Yeti owner here!
I'm having issues with my car, hope someone will be able to help.
First of all, sorry for any gramatical mistakes, as English is not my native language, but I'm posting here, since there's so much more people talking in english than in my native language.

So I drive a Skoda Yeti 2.0 TDi, 103 kw, made in 2013, 4×4.
A few weeks ago, my car started to twitch. At first, the engine starts to sound like a little rock clacking in a metal box. After a while, the whole car starts to shake so badly, that my phone almost fell out of my phone holder.
So here's the thing, no indicator is flashing, no faults are reported, the car seems absolutely fine, except for the whole twitching thing.
When it neutral or in first gear, the car runs fine. But when switching to second gear and on, the twitching begins. It almost feels like driving on a bumby road. After the engine heats up to 90 degrees Celsium, the shaking dissapears and it runs fine yet again.
When the shakes start, the average fuel consumption flies up to 20l/100km. Before I could drive it for 5,8. In about 10 to 15 mins the consumption drops down to 8l/100km, maybe 6 if I'm lucky and the shakes stop. It doesn't twitch again when heated, but when starting the car cold, it happens every time.

I've taken it to a car shop and they have absolutely no idea what's happening. The diagnostics show nothing, they changed the rear tires, checked the fuel injection, checked the turbo, changed my oil and filters. They found nothing and the shakes keep happening.

Any ideas? I'd like to have some clues about it before I give it to another shop for another month and risk finding nothing yet again.
Any input will be appreciated.
Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
Yeti S+ 2010 2.0TDi CR110 2WD Manual
6,656 Posts
Has the shop/garage checked for a broken engine mounting?????

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Has the shop/garage checked for a broken engine mounting?????
I think they said they have. But it's hard to say, there have been so many things they checked on and found nothing.
Wouldn't that shake all the time though? It stops after a while, like I said. I can literally stop the car for a minute, start it again and the issue is not noticable.
It´s only noticable when starting the car after the engine has cooled down.
Dunno tho', I can try to find out

·
Premium Member
6,656 Posts
The engine naturally vibrates more when cold, until all the components have warmed up and expanded to their design dimensions. So an engine mount that was failing might be just magnifying the vibration, or lack of vibration when warmed up?

Was the engine warm when the shop/garage checked "everything"?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The engine naturally vibrates more when cold, until all the components have warmed up and expanded to their design dimensions. So an engine mount that was failing might be just magnifying the vibration, or lack of vibration when warmed up?

Was the engine warm when the shop/garage checked "everything"?
Both. They checked it after it warmed up, but also cold in the morning. That's pretty much why it's been in the shop for a month in a row. With no results I might add.
Engine mounting sounds like a good explanation, but wouldn't that be noticable when starting the car on neutral? Or on the first gear? My issue is noticable only from the second gear on.
Today however it's been quieter than usual. It would be a blast if the issue resolved itself somehow..!

·
Administrator
15,576 Posts
When standing still with the engine idling is the a ticking noise? If you drive along slowly with the window open and change gear is there a slight clatter? If either answers are yes has anyone thought about the clutch?

·
Premium Member
6,656 Posts
The Hood has pre-empted my next guess. Of “Dual Mass Flywheel”?

Reactions: The Hood
1 - 8 of 8 Posts