Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
13,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just ordered some 5W30 Castrol Edge from Eurocarparts, they have a salewith it offered at £27.99 for 4ltrs delivered free of charge. They also have offers on other items.
Has anyone actually used a Pela 6000 on a 2ltr TDI yet, if so, did it fit the dipstick tube O.K.?

Edited by: The Hood

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
You could try going to a hardware store and buy a yard of some cheap plastic tube with an OD of 5 millimetres (about the size of oxygen mask tubing). If that fits down the spout then the Pela probe will fit.

Edited by: plbxr

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hiya Hood.I have reported on this before so you did'nt get to see the wonderfully composed report that I posted on me Pela.You missed a great read Hahaha!! not even sure I got all the spelling right.Anyway,yes,I have one and have used it twice now and it does a bloody good job.First timeI popped the sump plug after the sucky bit was done just to confirm their claims.They were not fibbing as I could only drain enough to barely cover the bottom of a medium size nescafe coffee jar.Changing it every 10,000 klms I dont reckon thats gonna make a great difference and as for suspended debris,if there is any it will be just that,suspended and removed with the old oil.Did put a new plug in though as it aint gonna get undone again any time soon.

·
Administrator
13,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I ended up buying a Pela 6000 and as today is the Yeti's second birthday I gave it a bit of a treat and did an interim oil change. Just in case anyone else is not sure whether or not to have a try, here are a couple of pointers. The pipe fits down the dip stick easily (140 bhp TDI)and can be heard to hit the bottom of the sump. The Pela is not marked to show how much you have extracted so you may want to put a measured quantity of clean oil into it and mark the outside at various amounts. From start to finish took 50 minutes.
The vacuum needed topping up a few times, and when it had finished it was quite noisy and the pipe kicked as it took up air bubbles.The Pela extracted 4 litres (capacity 4.3 including filter).

The oil I used was Castrol Edge at 27.99 for 4 litres at Eurocarparts who keep on having offers. Buy two bottles and it will be delivered free of charge. This weekend I also got a pair of Bosch front wiper blades (A980S) for £16.80. That offer has ended but they keep on being repeated.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Why the need for the suction extraction of oil over simply removing the sump plug? I've always changed the oil by removing the plug, with little effort and mess.Edited by: TunaSan

·
Registered
42 Posts
Glad to hear everything went smoothly. Did you change the filter?

I know the official number is 4.3L for the change with filter, but there's definitely more than that. Pug got 5L, and I got 4.75 and my oil wasn't full when I started.

·
Registered
54 Posts
TunaSan said:
Why the need for the suction extraction of oil over simply removing the sump plug? I've always changed the oil by removing the plug, with little effort and mess.
I should have said "with previous cars" I've yet to receive my monster. Is the sump difficult to get to on the Yeti?Edited by: TunaSan

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
The Hood said:
Well I ended up buying a Pela 6000 and as today is
the Yeti's second birthday I gave it a bit of a treat and did an interim
oil change.
Pug would be proud of you

TunaSan said:
Why the need for the suction extraction of oil over simply removing the sump plug? I've always changed the oil by removing the plug, with little effort and mess.
A lot of us are no longer nimble enough to get underneath and drain the oil via the sump plug thanks to injuries and health issues. Oil suction pumps are a god-send for those who still want to participate in the simple pleasures of changing the engine oil without the need to get down and dirty.
That is, provided a suction pump extractor will fit. 1.2 litre TSI owners still have to do it the old way

Edited by: plbxr

·
Administrator
13,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TunaSan said:

My Yeti is set for servicing every 18000 miles, I've covered 9,400 since the first service and the Maxidot shows 9,600 miles or 563 days to the next one. The decision to change the oil was a personal one, in previous cars I changed the oil and filter every 6,000 miles. By using the Pela there was no need to raise the car to gain access underneath, and there was no need to remove the engine under tray (RRP). The Yeti is not the most straight forward of cars to raise off the ground. It also means there will be no evidence of me doing anything should the dealer look for an excuse should something go wrong whilst the car is under warranty. The filter will be changed at the next service (36,000), when the warranty has expired I will remove the sump nut every time I replace the filter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts