Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being big into music I have just taken delivery of my second CD which as the rest of my collection is in the slotabove the radio had to go in the changer in the boot.

I seemed to load it correctly but when asked to play comes up on the screen with ERROR CD, I've reloaded it a couple of times and it works OK in the dashboard slot so does anyone have any ideas?

I've a 2013 SE Plus.

JeremyG

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
CD's Grandad? Didn't realise folk still had CD's these days. Most use the SD card slot or use an MP3 player, lot easier than using coasters

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your observation but it doesn't help much in getting my CD player working!

JeremyG

P.S. I'm not a grandad.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
JeremyG, just a couple of suggestions for you to try:
Firstly, try a couple of other CD's in the changer unit and see if they work OK or not. This will narrow the problem down to either the new CD or the changer unit.
Check the CD for scratches/smudges/dust particles, especially around the inside of the disk (they read from the inside edge to the outside edge...opposite to a vinyl record)
If it's a brand new CD it may benefit from a light cleaning to remove the manufacturing oils. Spray the silver side with Windex or some similar non-abrasive cleaning liquid, rub very lightly with soft toilet tissue, thoroughly rinse under the tap and then gently pat dry. Make sure both sides are totally dry before trying to play it.
Use a CD Lens/Drive Cleaning Kit on the changer unit. There are plenty on eBay.
Could be an electronic problem in the changer unit itself such as the pickup has broken down. (been there, done that...not cheap to fix)
It could also be a manufacturing defect within the new CD that the changer units pick-up can't compensate for (I have a couple of CDs that will only play on certain machines).
I hope these help you to solve your problem.

Edited by: plbxr

·
Registered
268 Posts
I had a boot mounted CD autochanger in my first Octaviaand only ever usedhome made compilation CDs in it. At first it was fine playing all CDs but over the years it got to the point where it would only play one or two of the discs and reject the rest. Even if I burned a brand new CD it would still reject the disc. It would play "proper" CDs though.
I suspect either the laser was failing or the lens on the pickup needed cleaning. I never tried cleaning it as I traded the car in.

More modern CD players are generally more sensitive as they can play MP3 CDs which are normally burned on a PC.Recordable CDs will produce a smaller signal from the pickup head than commercially produced CDs because of the different method used to record the data on the disc.

The CD changer on my first Octavia was in probably the worst place for a CD player, in the boot right next to the nearside wing where I suspect it never warmed up properly and condensation could affect the pickup lens. It did seem better in the summercompared to winter.I don't know if it's possible to use one of these lens cleaning discs, I never used one and was warned against it by the dealer.

Keith

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
You do realise that you can fit at least 4 MP3 albums on an normal 700Mb CD, that's at least 24 albums worth you can fit in Bolero 6 CD slot.

As said above, if you fill a SD memory card or have an Mp3 player you can have 100's of albums available

·
Registered
268 Posts
True. With a 32Gb SD card I could have all my albums on one card with space to spare.
I only have a 4Gb card in the slot at the moment though.
Keith

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've got all my music on a 32 Gb card in my Samsung smartphone, and this plays through my Amundsen+ head unit using bluetooth. I can search for tracks easily, and haven't experienced any problems - so far!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts