Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm told changing kph to mph is a bit of faff and you can't do it yourself via the settings, it has to be taken into a garage (cost?). I've had a look through the forum but can't seem to find an answer.

·
Administrator
14,193 Posts
The car ecu has to be adjusted to either an American or Australian setting then there is an additional option for MPH. A dealer will not do it, it needs an app like Carista or the far more capable VCDS. If you have the option from the previous owner you will have the box below, "Alt speed disp" and just tick or untick to change between KPH and MPH.

VCDS mph option.jpg VCDS MPH display.jpg

·
Administrator
4,870 Posts
It is a faff as you rightly say. probably because Skoda don't want you to do it as having speed in MPH and KPH was a vehicle requirement, though owners of Karoqs can change it.The cheapest route is find some one with a VCDS cable and computer (not a Skoda dealer as they won't do it and don't have the right VCDS), or buy a Carista OBD dongle which comes with a 30 day free licence to change settings on the car. Some one who has done it can probably give you the exact process if you need it. Buying VCDS is expensive.

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
I used a Carista OBD2 adapter to give me the digital speedo and needle sweep etc. It gives a months access to customise then cancel and you still have a very good OBD2 adapter It also adds a tick box in the Maxidot to go to KPH if you need it.

·
Administrator
14,193 Posts
Although I have mph I don't use it as the larger numbers mean a line less information is displayed. I thought the needle sweep was naff and changed it back
Using VCDS I increased the lane change indication to four flashes, activated the teardrop wipe, changed the coming home/leaving home lights from the Xenons to the fog lights and increased the brake assistance but that is about it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm a newbie to the Yeti (4 days) and lovely as it is, my previous vehicle was an 16 year old Landrover that did everything l asked of it but the London low emmisions zone killed it, it had another 10 years in it, it was a case of euthanasia for the Landrover :mad:(

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, hardly eneyone is taking diesel in London for PX, I'm sure it's a different story outside of London (we live in a bubble here), even the S/H car dealers are going under, never mind the new car motor trade, l had to sell it silly cheap. Interesting times...

·
Premium Member
5,426 Posts
Same up here. Where well looked after Defenders are still selling for more than their new price. Due to the high cost of the replacement.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, l bought a Carista and have managed to change a few settings but no joy with mph, tried switching country to Australia but still reads out KPH. Also, it says it changes the lights configuration, is this ok? What advantage has changing the brake assist?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bought a Carista and managed to adjust a few settings but no joy with kph to mph, l go to speed display options where kph is highlighted and save button but no highlight on mph save button even when Australia option ticked

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
There are a few things to change on Maxidot after doing that if I get a chance I'll post them.
Here you go.

·
Premium Member
5,426 Posts
What Urrell said. (That’s twice I’ve said that today. People will think we’re related? :D )

The mph digital display is a two-stage thing Frances. I believe.
  • First you have to use VCDS or Carista to trick the car into thinking it’s in Australia or USA.
  • Then a (further?) option becomes available within the Maxidot settings (the information panel between the two main dials on the dashboard). To change the alternative speed display.
That said, I’m not the expert, as to date, I’ve never done the second part either. :)
Mainly because I’m too thick to work out how to get into the Maxidot settings on an S spec Yeti, that does not have the multi-function controls on the steering wheel. SWMBO, being a) female and b) our Yeti’s primary user, knows how to get into Settings. Most of the time I just look after the oily, dirty and safety related bits for her. Although I am allowed behind the steering wheel for longer daytime or any night time trips. And have been known to be let out on my own in it for road trips like one a couple of years back, with our youngest Cost Centre, around Northern Germany and the Netherlands. Occasionally too for trips off road into UK forests where my Beemer doesn’t have adequate ground clearance. Last year laden to its roof in two-seat configuration into Central London with the same Cost Centre (who does not drive herself). But woe betide if I brought it back with any of her Maxidot preferences changed. Bad enough that I leave it with the seat needing to be repositioned after a test drive to check I’ve fitted the new brakes correctly. :D (y)
Maybe best then, that I’m not tempted to alter any of her preferences, by being unable to get myself into the settings menu? ;)

Edit: now watched the excellent video that Urrell posted. That covers both stages after all. Not having the multi-function steering wheel, I may have to figure it out using the trip toggle switches on the end of the stalk! Tee hee! Don’t tell SWMBO though. I want it to be a surprise. See if she notices? :D:whistle:

Won’t be this weekend. Yeti and SWMBO are in Norfolk with CC2. I’m in Yorkshire with the dog! Then I’m working away from home all next week!

Next job - how to bookmark this thread on the new forum? So I can find it again.

Reactions: Urrell

·
Administrator
4,870 Posts
Next job - how to bookmark this thread on the new forum? So I can find it again.
Some things are only one step. Click on the little Save with a bookmark icon on the bottom right of the post next to Share.
Find the posts you have bookmarked by clicking on your account icon top right(Account Details) and select Bookmarks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yippee...thanks Urrell, sorted. It's a matter of going thru the steps from first to last, which the helpful video explained. BTW Hood, what is the advantage of increasing the brake assist?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How much would you recommend increasing it to? Whilst on the subject, unlike my Landrower auto, which when waiting on an incline at lights would hold without me having to keep my foot on the brake, the Yeti creeps every few seconds when the brake isn't held.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts