Discussion Starter #1
Just changed the DRL bulbs to LED

Original bulb

LED bulb

LED bulb lit up

Bulb out warning comes on

Fit resistor through cap

Select original DRL wires

Scotch the resistor to the wires (any way round)

A bit of a fiddle if you have large hands, but worth the effort

·
Administrator
13,096 Posts
I knew that Scotland, Wales and Cornwall had their own language but not Norfolk (maxidot display).
How do you say that looks good in Norfolk?

·
Administrator
13,096 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Hi
I think the resistors should be kept out of the light housing because they will get very warm and would not do the inner parts of the lightunit any good.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wakev said:
Hi
I think the resistors should be kept out of the light housing because they will get very warm and would not do the inner parts of the lightunit any good.
Quite agree, I left the DRL's on for a 15 min test and could not touch the resistors for heat.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
I think it was those someonefitted and they still gave a bulb out warning. Although the interior lights are not on the cambus so would be fine for fitting there.Edited by: wakev

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wakev said:
I think it was those someonefitted and they still gave a bulb out warning. Although the interior lights are not on the cambus so would be fine for fitting there.
Yes you are correct on both counts, these DRL's have been tested by owners on another forum and gave bulb out warnings, they were offered resistors to cure the problem at extra cost.

I swapped out all my internal bulbs for LED's as they are not monitored by the canbus, but the boot lamp is still not bright enough too make that much difference, so I am making up an extra lamp and fitting it to the same circuit.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Just a few basic questions about LED bulbs for the Yeti. You appear to be at stage 3 whilst I am still at stage 1!What is the advantage apart from lasting longer?
Do they end up using just as much/more juice than a conventional bulb if the resistor has to be fitted?
Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
4,729 Posts
LED bulbs use less wattage, therefore power to light them, but as the alternator will produce the power anyway I don't see that as the main reason for changing.
Either people change for:
bling reasons
wanting a brighter light, in reference to the DRL's
need to leave parking lights or internal lights on for long periods without the engine running.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
I just bought a pair of bulbs from superskoda that look identical to those
. Superskoda say theirs are plug-and-play with no canbus warnings (inbuilt resistor?). I hope they are right as I have been bitten before by false canbus compatability claims. I will be using them as reversing light replacements so only on a short cycle. Fingers crossed.
In earlier Mk.5 ECU versions you could selectively deactivate the canbus bulb checking feature(s) through VCDS, but unfortunately it seems to be a deleted feature with the Yetis Mk.6 ECU.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts