Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently working in Germany and have purchased both Continental and UK sets of the bi zenon headlights. about to move back to UK and want to know is swapping the lights something I can do, or is it a trip to the garage? I also own a Volvo V50 and it's a 5 min job to swap from set to set so hoping the Yeti might be easy as well?

·
Administrator
13,118 Posts
The xenon headlights bend round corners and self level. The self levelling uses sensors on the front suspension so not something I would attempt. Also at speed the shape of the light changes which may give you problemsEdited by: The Hood

·
Registered
213 Posts
And fantastic they are at night. Interesting that there are lhd and rhd versions I would have thought that projector lights could have been software programed. Must be some some subtleties in reflectors and cut off mechanism.
There is a rhd setting I thought, this can't go all the way to converting them to the other side?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks To The Hood and Ferdie. I think it will need to be a garage job. I agree the lights are fantastic and I have to admit the self levelling moves on start up bring a bit of a smile to my face! Interesting there might be a left and right hand setting as you suggested as the rules that we go by in Germany (as MOD employees) have recently changed and vehicles with alternate settings don't need to have continental lights fitted to pass the German light test. but as I bought my set before the regulation change I am now the proud owner of 4 headlight units!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I may be able to contribute in as much as my Octavia, waiting to be sold on replacement by Yeti, has Zenons, one of which failed - unusually, I guess (at almost 200,000Kms!)

The replacement was so expensive that I decided to keep the cost down to unit cost by DIY. Read the (French) manual, with unintelligible diagrams (same as English one, I guess) but forged ahead anyway and found that it is, in fact, easy. You have to remove the entire 'cluster', after which access to the lamp clips and removal are no problem. Just 1 plastic screw and a trickily accessible clip release the entire unit.

I was concerned about alignment once the new unit was fitted but found that all was as perfect after as before.

I suspect that this applies equally to the Yeti. My 'new' beast, alas, does not have Zenons so I can't compare.

As a matter of interest, I initially asked Leclerc Auto to do a 'parking' lamp replacement too whilst they had the vehicle in their hands for a tyre change. The guy said "not this time - takes too long - half a day" - so I did it myself in front of their shop, the mechanic watching, to show that half a day was actually only 5 minutes! He was most appreciative of the knowledge, for future application, and I got the tyre work gratuit!

Hope that helps - good luck

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I have a feeling that to change the complete headlight unit on a Yeti you need to remove the front bumper.

If changing from left hand drive units to right hand drive I think you will also need some recoding work done.

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
I don't think any recoding would be needed as the only difference is the rotating shutter profile (Bi Xenons).
At the point where the profile allows the light to shine further up and to the left in the UK, the profile would be reversed to allow it up and to the right instead, the dynamic turning would still be the same as would the points where the profiles rotate to spread more light sideways, or lengthen the beam.

To be honest if there was a simple way to just exchange the rotating profile, this would convert the lights without any further work.

But as is usually the case these days, why make it easy when you can sell a complete unit at great expense to the motorist!.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Am I allowed to chip in as a newbie?

Currently living in France and my Yeti went in for its first CT last week only to fail on headlights. It seems that the pre determined answer from anyone I speak to is to change the units but I was quoted 700‚¬ just for parts which is more than I can afford.

I did notice when I start the car that the lights go through what I assume is a set up and the drivers side headlight shines right over to the right. If it can do that then one assumes the passengers light can do the same and then can both be reprogrammed for being in France.

The CT guy who didn't speak any english gestured to suggest they needed re-programming too. Normally go to these things with my french speaking fellow english villager but he was poorly. Hoping to go back in when he is better (got two months to deal with issues).

Given what is on offer in the xenon fitting it seems bizarre that you would need a new unit.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
On the "other place" is a member who took his Yeti to France when he moved there, and the only way he could get his car registered there was to change the headlights to the correct LHD units. Reprogramming the lights to "Travel Mode" in the Maxidot is not acceptable.

It is not bizzarre, RHD units have a kicked up area of the beam pattern to the left, so that it picks out the kerbline. LHD units are (obviously) the opposite. It does not matter whether they are HID xenon units or not.

Sorry, but you are going to have to buy new units, unless you can find either a broken Yeti or an ex-pat returning to the UK.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts