Yeti Owners Club banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
From the comments made by the OP I'm beginning to wonder whether he might have cooked to voltage controller by his totally incorrect method of connecting the battery. Why don't people RTFM!!!
Thank you for your advice to read the manuals. I have read the CTEX MXS 5.0 manual. The only advice that I can find on the matter is on page 3 which says: "Connect the charger to the battery". (It does have reverse polarity protection.) I have also consulted the Yeti manual and can find no advice on charging batteries. On which page in the Yeti manual should I look for this advice ? I am sorry for being out-of-date, but I have never before charged a battery with a battery monitor. I do not believe that it is mentioned in the Yeti manual. The Yeti manual has no index entry for the car's battery. only the fob's battery !

·
Premium Member
2015 Elegance Greenline II
7,553 Posts
Yes, exactly, except that I have no cap (green or otherwise) but the post is painted, and therefore not a good electrical connection. Should I unpainted it ? And maybe use Vaseline because I would not know where to get a plastic cap.
Under that post is the flat terminal, will your charger not connect to that or has someone painted that too?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I am sorry for being out-of-date, but I have never before charged a battery with a battery monitor. I do not believe that it is mentioned in the Yeti manual. The Yeti manual has no index entry for the car's battery. only the fob's battery !
Bottom of Page 175 in the section on Vehicle Battery, also in the index as Charging a Vehicle Battery. :)

Not everything in the manual is where you might initially expect to find it.

·
Premium Member
Kia Niro HEV2 and MG Midget
6,107 Posts
Thank you for your advice to read the manuals. I have read the CTEX MXS 5.0 manual. The only advice that I can find on the matter is on page 3 which says: "Connect the charger to the battery". (It does have reverse polarity protection.) I have also consulted the Yeti manual and can find no advice on charging batteries. On which page in the Yeti manual should I look for this advice ? I am sorry for being out-of-date, but I have never before charged a battery with a battery monitor. I do not believe that it is mentioned in the Yeti manual. The Yeti manual has no index entry for the car's battery. only the fob's battery !
When I said RTFM I meant the Yeti manual, not the charger's!
From what I remember of my last Yeti's manual it definitely had a section about battery charging and jump starting and had a diagram of where the correct negative stud was. I suggest you have another look.
And sorry, but to be very harsh, I don't think you should be dealing with anything that you obviously don't understand. Cars are now much more complex than your previous 28 year old car and it can be very easy to cause expensive damage if you don't know what you are doing.

(If you want complicated you should look under the bonnet of my Niro!)

·
Registered
225 Posts
My previous car is 28 years old, so I am a bit of a dinosaur. I had no idea that cars had battery monitors, and certainly no information about its location. I can find nothing in the Yeti manual. Thank you for your advise as to its location. I now see the necessity of using the earthing post, which I will unpainted. The Yeti manual also makes no mention of where to connect the negative terminal when charging. Many thanks.
'PHEW' 😀

·
Registered
Yeti 2017 2.0TDi 4x4 L&K DSG
852 Posts
Just buy the CTEK 12V socket adaptor and avoid all the hassle of under bonnet connections.

·
Premium Member
2017 Outdoor SEL TDi150 4x4 Manual
8,128 Posts
As far as I can make out - the biggest difference with the CTEK 7 is that you can monitor what is going on and change settings, etc. via an app on your smartphone. In exchange for a big increase in price. I don't think I'll be swapping my MXS 5 for a 7 anytime soon.

RING - the Leeds based auto electrical accessories and bulbs manufacturer - now has a CTEK 5 rival charger available. Even down to copying the looks and outer shape of the Swedish CTEK. Auto Express rated the RING charger quite highly a couple of months ago, but the CTEK was still their overall winner.

·
Premium Member
8,128 Posts
To be of help perhaps, I took a photo of the battery to body shell negative post on my current 2017 Yeti. Below and attached. Post at centre of pic. Not coloured green! That’s just to act as a highlight in the owner manual, from memory the 2010 Yeti was identical.

The charger attachment point is to the bright /plated metal cable end or eye, that you see in the pic. That means the charge goes via the Battery Management Module that sits attached to the battery negative post itself. So the BMM knows what is going on. Particularly important with AGM batteries, it seems, compared to traditional lead-acid. Also same for half-way house EFB batteries that some other cars with stop/start have.

The post / bolt does appear to have a black plastic cover (not painted on mine?). That admittedly is something of a hindrance to attaching charger clip’s successfully. I’ve never tried to remove that though. The rare times when I’ve needed to charge a Yeti battery. I’ve either attached to the bright metal cable end in the pic. Or used the power socket adapter in the boot. As others have mentioned.

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Material property Automotive exterior

·
Premium Member
Kia Niro HEV2 and MG Midget
6,107 Posts
When I used to run my rally radio I used to connected the one lead directly to the flat piece of lead. Always worked perfectly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Many thanks for all your thoughts.

I read in the Yeti manual that the battery is monitored for low voltage, which if it occurs then various things get switched off. I have seen battery management systems on boats which display the state of charge of the battery and in some cases the state of health of the battery. However, the Yeti offers nothing like this. Apart for a low-voltage shut-off, what does it do ?

·
Premium Member
2015 Elegance Greenline II
7,553 Posts
Apart for a low-voltage shut-off, what does it do ?

It should start the engine as things are switched off to enable that to happen.
Some battery chargers/maintainers will display more battery information, mine gives state of alternator charging and monitors battery health while starting if those options are selected..

·
Administrator
17,158 Posts
When my original battery was on the way out (11.2v) but still starting as soon as the key was turned, I was swapping over to winter wheels/tyres with the radio on. A womans voice told me to turn off the electrical device (radio) which I ignored, the ecu then turned it off by itself!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
8,128 Posts
Apart for a low-voltage shut-off, what does it do ?
Controls the whole charging process on cars with stop/start and AGM or EFB batteries. So the batt does not get overcharged ever. Or charged too fast that might harm its long term capacity. At the other end of the scale, disables S/S if the batt voltage is below some threshold. (Primary purpose in fact?) People have attempted to permanently disable S/S by raising that threshold using software tools like VCDS. To no avail. S/S remains stubbornly enabled, till you switch it off via the dash button.

Plus all of the things mentioned above in other posts. My 2005 BMW has battery monitoring, but thankfully no S/S.

I seem to recall "Cubes" was the forum expert on this sort of tech? Not seen him around for while though?

21 - 37 of 37 Posts