Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had some pretty chilly mornings lately and although the car starts instantly, the engine is a little slower to turn over. Obviously the oil is pretty thick when it's below zero, but it made me look at the battery, which I think is the original. I'm hoping not to have to change it just yet so was thinking of giving it a charge overnight. The handbook (P209) is a bit unhelpful regarding disconnection of the battery cables, but I'm tempted to leave them connected. The charger is an ancient Halfords one, but seems to behave itself, the charge dropping off as the battery reaches full capacity. The handbook says 'A charging current of 0.1 multiple of the total vehicle battery capacity(or lower) must be used until full charging is achieved'. This is a bit too techie for me. Car is a 2014 FL 2.0 2WD. Any thoughts please folks?

·
Registered
202 Posts
If for example you have a 70 a/h battery the initial charging current should not be greater than 7amps. As the battery charges the current will gradually decrease and once it gets down to 200mA (two tenths of an amp) it will be fully charged.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I should have mentioned that if you have an old Halfords charger of the usual diy type, it will be unlikely to push out anything like 7amps in any case.

·
Premium Member
5,098 Posts
I should have mentioned that if you have an old Halfords charger of the usual diy type, it will be unlikely to push out anything like 7amps in any case.
Indeed. Likely more like 4A tops?

Reactions: Pidgeonpost

·
Administrator
13,651 Posts
If you get something like a ctek MX5.0 and a power socket adaptor you can just plug it into the boot socket for as long as you like. It is fully automatic and the boot socket is easier than lifting the bonnet. Jimmy has just bought one.

·
Registered
202 Posts
You can tell from The Hood’s various posts that he is very keen on these ctek smart chargers and rightly so. If you are looking for something that you can just plug in and forget these are definitely the one to go for. The only downside is that they are very expensive.

If you don’t want the expense, you can use your old Halfords one, but it will need a bit of self discipline to keep an eye on it and disconnect it at the right time. Using the rear socket is a lot easier and you could make your own adapter using the appropriate plug as long as you remember that the centre conductor must go to the positive (+ve) terminal of the charger. If you don’t want to risk that you can buy an adapter that will do the job.

·
Administrator
13,651 Posts
You can tell from The Hood’s various posts that he is very keen on these ctek smart chargers and rightly so. If you are looking for something that you can just plug in and forget these are definitely the one to go for. The only downside is that they are very expensive.
It sounds like I have been rumbled, :) in addition to being able to handle all the batteries fitted to Yeti's there is no messing about checking the clips are attached in the correct place (not both on the battery terminals).

·
Registered
877 Posts
You can tell from The Hood’s various posts that he is very keen on these ctek smart chargers
Definitely rightly so. I have two of them and a Halfords not-quite-so-smart charger and one of those monster chargers which make an angry buzzing noise and will start a car even if the battery is flat.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies - very helpful. S I have 2 battery chargers already and
I'm a bit reluctant to cough up for another IF an existing one will do the job. Rather than charge overnight maybe I'll do it in the day when I can keep an eye on it.
Still not sure whether the battery terminals should be disconnected. I could play safe and disconnect, but I'm just trying to avoid having to reinstate any user settings that don't survive the disconnect.
Thinking back I bought this charger in 1980.

IMG_20200326_190054.jpg

·
Registered
202 Posts
Looking at your charger, it is a 3 amp (maximum) output. You will find it will take a fair time to fully charge a battery with that. The warnings about disconnecting the battery are because of a concern that the charger might put too high a voltage on the system and possibly destroy the electronic bits in the car. I think it is very unlikely that your charger would do that, so you should be fine to leave the battery connected.

If it really worries you, disconnect just the positive terminal. Newer Yetis will automatically reconnect the radio system without needing to put in a radio code. Mine is a 2015 model and it does this. I don’t know what year that came in. I’m sure the sages on here will tell you.

Yes, connect the positive lead to the battery’s +ve terminal and the negative lead to the earth post, not the battery -ve terminal.

All this talk about chargers has finally motivated me to buy a Ctek MXS5. Ordered it this evening, £64.95 was the best price I could find.

·
Administrator
13,651 Posts
Did you order the plug adaptor or are you going to make your own? It costs around £7

I have got five chargers, but only bought 2. Whenever a relative has passed away their tools, chargers etc seem to end up at my door. I don't actually like that as it almost seems like grave robbing. I wouldn't trust the old ones on my car and can't find any takers for them, they will probably go to the charity shop.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looking at your charger, it is a 3 amp (maximum) output. You will find it will take a fair time to fully charge a battery with that. The warnings about disconnecting the battery are because of a concern that the charger might put too high a voltage on the system and possibly destroy the electronic bits in the car. I think it is very unlikely that your charger would do that, so you should be fine to leave the battery connected.

If it really worries you, disconnect just the positive terminal. Newer Yetis will automatically reconnect the radio system without needing to put in a radio code. Mine is a 2015 model and it does this. I don’t know what year that came in. I’m sure the sages on here will tell you.

Yes, connect the positive lead to the battery’s +ve terminal and the negative lead to the earth post, not the battery -ve terminal.

All this talk about chargers has finally motivated me to buy a Ctek MXS5. Ordered it this evening, £64.95 was the best price I could find.
OK, thanks for that. I'm not sure of the state of charge of the battery but will put a multimeter on it before charging. The combination of cold mornings, fewer and shorter journeys during lock down, and noticing a slightly slower engine turnover from cold made me think a top-up charge would do no harm.

·
Premium Member
3,747 Posts
Mine was £64.53 from Amazon plus £7.99 for the adaptor to fit the boot socket. (The details implied the adaptor was included but it wasn't). I'll sit and watch what happens when it's first plugged in to observe it going through the various charging stages.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The Hood - I’m going to make my own up. I won’t have any use for the eyelet cable, so I’ll put a plug on that. I use a quad bike and a large grass cutting machine and have put power sockets on both of those. That way I can use the one lead for all three.

I used to sail. When I passed the skip in the marina one day, I noticed the someone had dumped a 1000watt inverter/charger. This was an American piece of kit that was retailing at £1200 at the time. It wasn’t working but I found a dead fuse on the circuit board which sorted to problem. Unfortunately it was a 110v model, so I had to use a transformer with it. I used it on the boat for quite a while and when I gave up sailing, put it in my garage. The charger was a good quality three stage device which I fitted volt and ammeters on and so it has done me well for a few years now. After reading your recommendation, I took a close look at the spec for the Ctek and it’s a no brainier, plus it is going to clear a lot of shelf space!

·
Registered
877 Posts
I'll sit and watch what happens when it's first plugged in to observe it going through the various charging stages.
Don't wait for the last light to illuminate - that one takes a few days. :)

·
Administrator
13,651 Posts
After reading your recommendation, I took a close look at the spec for the Ctek and it’s a no brainier, plus it is going to clear a lot of shelf space!
I promise I am not on a commission from CTEK :) I'm looking at around 8 hours screen time processing HB4x4R driving licence and radio qualifications today ready for battle next week, so no sales pitch today (enjoy the peace and quiet).

·
Premium Member
3,747 Posts
Don't wait for the last light to illuminate - that one takes a few days. :)
Thanks Bryetian but as there isn't much else on it will keep me occupied. I'm still the same character who sat and watched fascinated during a whole cycle, when my parents bought their first automatic clothes washer.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts