Yeti Owners Club banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
In this time when going anywhere is not acceptable, I am thinking of getting a solar battery trickle charger to just keep things going till better times come along. Anyone any experience of these, and what is the efficacy of the beast?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Smarterchargers will sell you one. It is a Ctek bit of kit. The plug that goes into the power socket will obviously be standard but the connector at the other end of the lead is not.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Farmer John, be careful when you are buying a solar panel for this purpose. A lot of the cheap Chinese ones will struggle to get anywhere near their rated output. I think some of the specs they are quoting are based on midday in the middle of the Sahara.

·
Premium Member
4,837 Posts
In this time when going anywhere is not acceptable, I am thinking of getting a solar battery trickle charger to just keep things going till better times come along. Anyone any experience of these, and what is the efficacy of the beast?
Unless you can get one that states it produces atleast 30w then frankly I wouldn't bother, since at this time of year you will be lucky to ever get 25% of the stated output. I've got a 40w panel on the side of the garage to charge the battery of the Midget and it has just coped over the last few days, but today it was hardly producing anything. Even under perfect conditions in the UK a panel will generally be only 95% effective.
(I know the output, I've got 16 proper panels on my roof!)

21 - 27 of 27 Posts