Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like the spare wheel there and, the body looks longer. Or am I just dreaming.Apologies if you've seen this before.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I think the spare there would make a good option. It makes it look a more purposeful off-roader. Although, for everyday use I like the level loading space caused by having a spare wheel under the raised floor, the space loss is insignificant because of the height of the roof line in my mind. I think any impression that the proportions longer are due to the artist license.

·
Premium Member
5,328 Posts
Yes it does have a slightly longer wheel base.

Spare there? No thanks. I've experienced spare wheels on back doors and would never ever have one again. Too heavy to get off easily; invariably filthy, even with a cover on; too prone to getting knocked; invariably in the way when trying to open the hatch; ruins your rear view through the window; and basically a bloody nuisance.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Grahams nearly right, they are a PITA, but it isn't getting them off its lifting the bu99ers back on again
Don't understand why the Chinese version is longer, perhaps they don't have tight corners, maybe they need more room for extended family.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The other issue with the tyre outside is that with time the start to rub (bloody annoying} and put undue pressure on the rear door hinges, hence why the new Rav4 have taken it off the back of theirs. Am trying to convince SWMBO to get rid of her Rav4 for a 77TSI....

·
Registered
394 Posts
Never had issues with rubbing on Discos and Defenders but the old Defender doors just weren't up to the loads imparted by the spare wheel under normal driving. But then you have something solid to bolt a wheel carrier to on a Defender if you'r lucky

·
Registered
515 Posts
Funny this but the Chinese tend to have longer cars, even Audi A4 has extra leg room added for their Chinese built vehicles.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The RAV4 spare is mounted with within the carrier as the door is not the sturdiest of things the spare for want of a better word wobbles causing the rubber to make a horrible squeeking noise the only way to shut it up is to use a tyre shine gel.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I wonder how the tail gate opens ,most cars like that hinge from side.Quite a lot redesign to be done

·
Registered
515 Posts
The Chinese market Yeti has the wheelbase increased by 60cm and the spare wheel on the rear is an optional extra

·
Registered
760 Posts
Ferdie said:
That is interesting Llanigraham, amazing how the Chinese need 60mm more wheelbase than us, seems counter intuitive. It would be nice to see it over here.

http://indianautosblog.com/2013/01/skoda-yeti-lwb-hit-the-chinese-market-58983
I wonder what platform they are using to make a 60 mm longer Yeti? And instead of putting the spare wheel (I agree with Graham) why don't Skoda redesign to put a full size where the smaller spare is now, which would be a good move. How many brand new space-saver tyres are being haulled around and will never be used - very wasteful, especially with all of the big push to be Eco friendly!

·
Administrator
14,839 Posts
[/QUOTE] How many brand new space-saver tyres are being haulled around and will never be used - very wasteful, especially with all of the big push to be Eco friendly!

[/QUOTE]

And they don't last forever they deteriorate with age, so an elderly car with an original space saver tyre could effectively be at best without a useable spare, at worst a crash waiting to happen when it is fitted.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Epicyclic said:
Grahams nearly right, they are a PITA, but it isn't getting them off its lifting the bu99ers back on again
Don't understand why the Chinese version is longer, perhaps they don't have tight corners, maybe they need more room for extended family.
Probably wrong but I believe the Octavia Superb was longer because a lot of owners are driven so the rear legroom is more important?

·
Registered
213 Posts
I can understand that Nomissr, having been to China I would not want to drive! Do they also have blindfolds for rear passengers?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Hi Ferdie, I spend a lot of time in China being driven to many destinations. I always sit in the back tightly strapped in as the only rule on the road is "there is no rule" Makes me feel good when I get back to blighty and our sane driving.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts