Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All.

Just picked up a 170,4wd-after 2 weeks we have accumulated 1100 miles from new, the engine is freeing up, running on V-Max, but, being a compulsive tweeker and an adrenaline junkie-find the need for more power!

The official line from Skoda is that warrenty will be surrendered if any mods found-apparently they can detect this upon plugging in diagnostics-however the better quality tuning companies claim that their products run in parralell with the ECU, leave no signature and give the associated benifits claimed.

Without wishing to put extra stress on clutch/drivetrain/turbo etc-some more punch in 4th gear for 40-70ish overtaking wouldnt go amiss-has anyone gone down this road?

Tend to drive solo and have removed rear seats which shed approx 45Kgs.

Also- how friendly to this approach are insurance companies?

Many thanks

Sc

·
Registered
786 Posts
There have been a couple of threads on this subject, one of which is here but I'm sure the more techy Yeti owners out there will be able to add more...

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
I'm still trying to work out what difference removing the rear seats makes!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I presume the o/p meant he was saving 45kg of weight.He could also try not filling the car more than half full of diesel ~ saving another 22kg he is not lugging around. No passenger already (mostly?) and another one gone by means of two easy moves (if you see what I mean!) and the best news? insurance companies might not argue at all.
Could knock half a second off most timed accelleration sections in all gears.
Edited by: freedie

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all replies-and I have checked out the threads.......decided to wait a while till engine settles and more research done.....did notice that four peaple on board made it feel very sluggish as opposed to solo.....on a different tack-squeaks and creaks from dashboard/A pillar/headlining area-is this still an ongoing issue as known, I believe, from earlier models?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'd wait a bit longer before tweaking the power.
After 4,500 miles I took mine on a track day and after that the engine felt much better.
Just did another track day at 11,000 miles and it flies now!!!

I have a 170 4x4 too.

You won't get more power without putting little bit more strain on something though.
The mildest (and most effective) tweak is a remap or tuning box.
These will give you around 200bhp and more mid range punch due to more torque for minimal extra strain. After that it's minor things that don't add much or spending a lot of money on turbo upgrades etc...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. Have pretty much come to same conclusion-just weighed it at 1620kgs-rear seats out, 2/3 tank fuel and two terrier/whippets! Think a good thrash may well help-where did you do your trackday?-used to belong to the AWD club with a Landy-but this is too new to trash-lol!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Best information appears to be that non-declaration of a re-tune/re-map/chipping will invalidate insurance, and once declared, generally attracts a premium hike of up to 20%. Don't think its for me, as I'm perfectly happy with both mpg and resposiveness of my Yeti Greenline.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Out of interest, do you feel that the Greenline is subject to some turbo lag? Mine has done 3900 miles now, and I can't decide how much of this is down to an engine that is still a little tight

1 - 11 of 11 Posts