Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How to say Cirencester. Is it like Bi ces ter pronounced Bister? Maybe weatherman can help, I noticed the shiny blue Yeti in gallery.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Sci, ( as in Sci-Fi ), Rinse, ( as in to wash quickly ) and Stir, ( best thing for a cuppa ).

Si-rinse-stir

Say above quickly and it falls off the tongue easily.

·
Registered
518 Posts
delete

·
Premium Member
4,804 Posts
Having lived not too far away in North Wiltshire for 20-odd years, prior to moving to Yorkshire, I believe it's "Siren-sesster". :)
Depending on how "west country" you are though, I can well believe the "...ster" comes out sounding more like "...stir". Or even just "...str".

·
Registered
523 Posts
Have to say I have only ever heard it pronounced in the way Flintstone suggested i.e. "Siren-sesster".

But then I live near Alcester Road (All-stir), which most of us Brummies pronounce "All-sesster".

·
Premium Member
3,435 Posts
If Cirencester is puzzling, here's one for Flintstone from our area: Chopgate. Further afield in Norfolk: Happisburgh and finally, the Viking name for Whitby was Streonshalh. And of course, Shrewsbury always causes dissent depending upon where you live!

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
If Cirencester is puzzling, here's one for Flintsone from our area: Chopgate. Further afield in Norfolk: Happisburgh and finally, the Viking name for Whitby was Streonshalh. And of course, Shrewsbury always causes dissent depending upon where you live!
:unsure:Shrow or Shrew ---sberry
Shropshire born Shropshire bred, strong in the arm weak in the head.;);)

·
Premium Member
3,435 Posts
I find pronouncing Welsh names easier if I've just drunk a glass of milk and have a phlegmy throat. Some years ago I did some work with the (then called) British Waterways and one of the workforce deliberately mispronounced Welsh names, so Thlangothlen came out as Langolen. I never heard him try Pontcysyllte and thankfully for his benefit, Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch wasn't near a canal!!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Pontcysyllte - hard to say but an absolute MUST to visit. If you haven't been, go this year. I've always thought that Cirencester was pronounced siren str.

·
Premium Member
3,435 Posts
Hi RJC. I've visited the Pontcysyllte aqueduct a few times, but my nerves wouldn't be strong enough to look at the drop from a narrow boat! The Anderton boat lift is another marvel of Victorian engineering: because of the twin caisson design, it uses about the same electrical energy as boiling a kettle.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Hi RJC. I've visited the Pontcysyllte aqueduct a few times, but my nerves wouldn't be strong enough to look at the drop from a narrow boat! The Anderton boat lift is another marvel of Victorian engineering: because of the twin caisson design, it uses about the same electrical energy as boiling a kettle.
My wife is scared of heights and i thought she would not walk across, she never looked down or stopped just looked straight ahead and done it.

·
Premium Member
4,731 Posts
When we took our boat across the "Pont" my wife and her mother sat inside with their backs to the open side, whilst I was taking photos of the cricket pitch down in the valley, and I have a friend who was single-manning his boat and when he got to the bridge he stuck it in forward gear and went inside to make a cup of tea as he couldn't steer as he couldn't stand the height.

·
Premium Member
4,804 Posts
If Cirencester is puzzling, here's one for Flintstone from our area: Chopgate.
Ah yes! Chopyat is always one that creates surprises.
There are actually a few others around the area. Where Yat and Gate are synonyms. Written on OS maps with either spelling. Such as Sneck Yat bank. A couple of miles north of Sutton Bank. Except Google Maps thinks it is written “Sneck Yate”. Could there be an Olde English or even Viking vocabulary reason for the dual spelling?

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
When we took our boat across the "Pont" my wife and her mother sat inside with their backs to the open side, whilst I was taking photos of the cricket pitch down in the valley, and I have a friend who was single-manning his boat and when he got to the bridge he stuck it in forward gear and went inside to make a cup of tea as he couldn't steer as he couldn't stand the height.
A bit of useless information for you, on the other side below there is a water pumping station we called "Mid Cheshire" that pumped water out of the river Dee into the canal and the Mid Cheshire Water Co (Severn Trent) extracted it from the canal at a location in there area.
I worked for Wrexham Water and we used to run the pump house for Mid Cheshire.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Google maps recognises both Ci ren ces ter and Si rinse stir but when I say Ynysybwl it hasn't a clue.

·
Premium Member
2,449 Posts
Darn yer in Darzet an' Debn, we az a fue weirduns.
Punknowle= Punnel.
Honiton=Huniton.
Sherborne=Sherb'n.
from Kernow, Launceston=Lanson.
One that really annoys me is Shrewsbury being pronounces as written where as it should be pronounced SHROWSBRY!
Or for simply weird names in Darzet.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Google maps recognises both Ci ren ces ter and Si rinse stir but when I say Ynysybwl it hasn't a clue.
On my google maps "Si rinse stir " says

Showing results for Cirencester. No results found for Sirinsestir.

But it can get to Ynysybwl no problem.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts