Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

The 12V plug in the centre console seems to be permenantly live even when the ignition is off.
I want to have this live only when the ignition is switched on, rather than permanent - not sure but think this has contributed to the dashcam sd card going u/s (when taking it off the screen fixing).
Vaguely recall hearing/reading somewhere that it is possible through the MFD or that might have been via the plug in thngy........
So any advice/pointers or indeed how to do this would be gratefully recieved?

Thanks.
L

·
Premium Member
5,186 Posts
It will need to be changed to an ignition controlled supply from the fuse box.
Why not wire the dashcam to an ignition controlled supply from there.
I did that and it took all of 15 minutes using a piggy back fuse adapter into fuse 6 in the fusebox.

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
In all the years I have been involved with Yeti's I have never known anyone manage to convert the socket from permanent live to ignition controlled.
The simplist method of powering a dash cam is as described by Urrell above, and is exactly what has been done by numerous people.

·
Administrator
13,046 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,186 Posts
If you use a dedicated wiring kit it is not expensive and has all the items you need. This one for a Nextbase is £13.95 Fitting is easy, no trailing wires and you would still have the power socket available
That's the one I used, as I said about 15 minutes to wire from the fuse box up drivers "A" pillar by lifting out and replacing the trim and then feeding into the gap between headlining and windscreen, over the mirror and down to dashcam.

·
Administrator
13,046 Posts
Here is a very good guide with pictures from the Yetipedia, if you use the kit in my previous post it is easier than in the guide with no crimping, It will probably take longer to read the guide than do the actual job. dash cam guide

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi All

Thank you for your swift replies - duly noted and will do using the indicated kit and guide.

L

·
Administrator
13,046 Posts
If you are using a Nextbase dashcam it is really easy, I also put the camera on the screen with the supplied sucker mount just behind the mirror but not blocking the light sensor. The idea being I can move it around to the best position before using the adhesive mount, so far it has stayed in place on the dotted area for about three months without falling off.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
WARNING!!!
Most dash cams are 5 FIVE volts ! Check yours BEFORE you use either the socket or hardwire it. Otherwise you will obviously be stuffing 12 volts into it.
I have lost TWO dash cams due to this. It will take them a few months to 'FRY'.
But they certainly die prematurely!
You can buy voltage dropper from Ebay.

OR\You can simply buy a plug with 12v output and 5v USB socket(s)

·
Administrator
13,046 Posts
If the OP uses the Nextbase dedicated fitting kit (looks like he is) he will be fine, it covers all eventualities for a Yeti.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts