Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I'm gonna be under the car over the weekend!

1 Fault Found:
009754 - Coolant Pump 2
P261A - 000 - Open circuit - Intermittent - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 10100000
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 27
Reset counter: 255
Mileage: 103886 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2014.08.10
Time: 12:51:54

Hopefully a plug/wiring issue, but we will see...

Spag

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK...

Coolant pump 2 is an auxiliary electric water pump, that I believe is used to supply the EGR cooler mostly after the engine is switched off.

It is located on the front of the engine below the oil filter, so is only accessible from underneath.

Jack up the car on firm stable ground and adequately secure to prevent squish death etc. (the usual blanked disclaimer applies - Beware of Danger.)

First, remove the undertray, remembering that (on the 4x4 at least) it's fairly heavy steel plate! (I decided on a spare jack to make that bit easy).

The pump hides just above the steel crossmember that holds the undertray.

The pump is mounted to a bracket with three T10 Torx screws, two which are accessible with a small bit, but the top one is obstructed by the inlet air pipe. It should be possible to undo this with some decent needle nosed pliers, or very small vice grips. The electrical connection is on the top of the pump, and is not too difficult to reach.

The official method of replacing the pump involves removing the support bracket which is bolted to the engine block. This looks to be quite involved as you need to remove the inlet air pipe - which appears to have two screws that are even more inaccessible than the Torx on the pump!

See images taken from https://workshop-manuals.com/
These are for the Mk2 Octavia, but match the info in the Yeti workshop manuals.

Remove the right intercooler pipe.

Undo the impossible to find screws (with arrows) and slacken the clips.

Hurrah, you can now undo the big pink bolt to get the bracket off, which will enable you to undo the third fiddly small Torx.

I may have paraphrased slightly on some of the instructions, but you should get the drift and be able to make your own choice on how to proceed!

Spag

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Investigation on the pump so far has been to find it, disconnect the cable, confirm in VCDS that the same open circuit fault appears, then clear faults, spray connectors with switch cleaner and reassemble.

20 mile 'vigorous' test drive with hills and dual carriageway, to ensure good engine temperature, then a VCDS scan to finish.

No faults.

Much as I have searched in VCDS, I can't find a specific output to run the V170 coolant pump, which makes it tricky to confirm it actually runs.

Conclusion(s).
(A) Pump is not totally dead
(B) Pump is only triggered on very rare celestial events so may take some time to show up again.

I have a spare winging it's away from Ebay, so will be able to bench test it, then dangle it from the loom to see what it does, then decide if I will fit or wait :)

Spag

·
Administrator
13,428 Posts
Well done, another addition to the Yetipedia, and possibly part two to follow. The under tray on the 4x4 that formed part of the RRP (rough road package) was changed from steel to plastic before mine was produced (Jan 2012)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update.

Limited mileage, but still no fault code since the plug clean & wiggle.

So, clipped on the cheapy magic stethoscope and had a listen to the pump.

Possibly a very slight 'buzz' when turning on ignition first time after unlocking.

Quite a lot of noise with engine running so either the pump it too loud, or it's not running at that time.

On switch off, it sounds like the pump runs for about 1 sec.

This be the stethoscope clipped to the spare pump for demonstration purposes.

This am the stethoscope back in the box.

Spag

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No further symptoms from the pump, so had a fun time on Sunday morning sticking the undertray back on.
All good apart from freezing puddle that slowly found it's way under the car from all the hail :D

We will see what changes...

Spag

1 - 7 of 7 Posts