Yeti Owners Club banner

201 - 220 of 223 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,768 Posts
Strange, my wife got the government message via her phone, but nothing on my company provided phone?
I've had the "Stay at home" text twice now, on both my own mobile phone, and my company phone.
Both EE network. I presume the messages are being sent by the network provider, on behalf of Gov.uk

Also been getting daily texts this week so far - reminding me that my next Blood Donation appt. is on Thursday eve. That these are still going ahead. In fact the latest one points out that Donation counts as a "medical emergency". If challenged on the way to the centre, just show my written appt. reminder. A separate text reminded me that as O- I'm one of only 7% of the population, but the type in highest demand. So even more needed than ever. Same reason my donation frequency/interval was reduced from 6-months to 3-months not long ago.

·
Administrator
13,046 Posts
A bit better at Tesco today we got about half of what SWMBO wanted to get. Lots of Easter eggs but no real ones, also no whole or portioned chicken maybe they have become extinct.

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Washed both of the cars today, and can see that I'm going to have to do some work on the Midget; now where can I get some Scotchbrite pads and zinc primer??
SWMBO went out to do some shopping for an isolating friend and said town was like a morgue. Managed to get most things but no antiseptic wash or wipes, but plenty of fruit and veg in the Greengrocers, and meat at the butchers.
Reports that the Police were out on the Newtown By-pass stopping traffic and questioning them about their journeys. Also reports of lots of Army movements out of Brecon, which happens to be the current Gurkha HQ.

And Network Rail are asking for retired signallers to volunteer to work as there are increasing problems with staff off sick or caring for relatives, so I've got in touch to see what is happening.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #205
I went shopping today and Sainsbury's had plenty of fresh veg, no tinned pulses, very little meat & spirits, many shelves were sparse but few customers. At the checkout I asked the cashier about customer's behaviour and because they have a three item limit, she said some people were aggressive. I thanked her for working on, and was given a lovely smile. ALDI ditto - lots of veg, little meat but plenty of basics. On Sunday, one of the big chippies opened for take-aways and a neighbour told me that the queues were long and crammed, but locals were so agressive in telling people to go away (it's a tourist hot-spot) that it's now closed. Our local pharmacy only allows two people at once, with the second standing a metre behind the other. They had paracetamol too! On a happier note, I had a lovely bike ride in the late afternoon, with very little traffic and just a few very pleasant walkers on the Cinder Track. Our little community here is helping one another. Local businesses are offering home deliveries of meat & veg and our neighbours are helping one another. In a crisis, we British are resilient and it brings out the very best in people, so I hope that perhaps, once the crisis is over, we become a bettter country.

·
Administrator
13,046 Posts
Washed both of the cars today, and can see that I'm going to have to do some work on the Midget; now where can I get some Scotchbrite pads and zinc primer??
The shops are closed but these do the (webrax) abrasive pads in different grades and mail order is still offered Axminster Store, Devon

Another place doing mail order and selling webrax pads Welcome to Yandle & Sons Ltd

I have used both for years, Axminster are most likely to have the primer.

·
Administrator
13,046 Posts
Every till in Tesco had two staff sat side by side, one a trainee and an experienced staff member, the trainees were in mufti so maybe there is a shortage of uniforms, certainly a shortage of space.

Tesco have stopped selling skimmed milk and multipacks they have also discontinued offers. They say this is to concentrate on the most popular items and discourage hoarding,

Although the stores are shut, Sports Direct have been forcing staff to go into work and also increase some item prices by 50%.

JD Weatherspoon cannot afford to pay their staff and have recommended they go and work at Tesco, they used takings to pay existing costs, asset rich, cash poor = insolvency.

·
Premium Member
4,768 Posts
Although the stores are shut, Sports Direct have been forcing staff to go into work and also increase some item prices by 50%.

JD Weatherspoon cannot afford to pay their staff and have recommended they go and work at Tesco, they used takings to pay existing costs, asset rich, cash poor = insolvency.
Sports Direct - Typical behaviour of Mike Ashley - cash in on a crisis and exploit everyone and everything in sight. Not in the least bit surprised. They were saying they would stay open come what may, till last night. Claiming that buying football look-alike strip was crucial for the nation’s mental well being.

Wetherspoons - Also typical Tim Martin bull excrement. He had plenty of spare cash to be a major donor to the Brexit campaign. Another one with a long track-record of staff exploitation and bullying behaviour.

·
Premium Member
4,768 Posts
Other outfits to go on the post-virus boycott list:
Britannia Inns - sacked their staff before Gov could announce the 80% salary claim.

Rumour has it some McDonalds franchises have done similar. Difficult to verify that one as they are all privately run by independent franchisees using the McDonalds name, and buy all their supplies from Golden Arch Foods. Only the latter are owned by McD proper.

By contrast:
- Premier Inns (=Whitbread) have said they are keeping their staff on despite closures. And have today repeated their offer to refund all cancelled bookings, even those made on their Business Saver rates that normally have “no refunds” and others paid privately in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #210 (Edited)
Flintstone: so true. We will not forget. Wetherspoons, Britannia Hotels, Gordon Ramsay (just fired 500 staff). Mike Ashley - never again. Any others to add to the list? Then maybe a sticky note with a blacklist, given appropriate legal advice. Neighbours, local businesses, all the loyal supermarket staff, every other business still operating and especially the NHS: your kindness and dedication will not be forgotten.:

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #211
Just went outside the front door to find 90 bog rolls from Groupon dumped outside. Luckily, wrapped in black plastic rather than the usual delivery note stuck on clear plastic. Now just waiting for the safe to be delivered to store them in. Remember Loadsamoney? Now we can taunt strangers by waving a roll and shouting 'Loadsabogroll'.

·
Registered
88 Posts
SWMBO went out to do some shopping for an isolating friend and said town was like a morgue. Managed to get most things but no antiseptic wash or wipes, but plenty of fruit and veg in the Greengrocers, and meat at the butchers.
Reports that the Police were out on the Newtown By-pass stopping traffic and questioning them about their journeys. Also reports of lots of Army movements out of Brecon, which happens to be the current Gurkha HQ.

And Network Rail are asking for retired signallers to volunteer to work as there are increasing problems with staff off sick or caring for relatives, so I've got in touch to see what is happening.
I had a Midget (or more correctly a Sprite) Graham. This one; it was a wee bit special, because under the bonnet was 2.0 litres and 150bhp of Alfa Romeo twin cam. 🤣 Brrrrrrrrmmmmm!!! i had to sell it. Driving it was brilliant, but once I levered myself out of the seat, I couldn’t walk if I’d been more than about 20 miles, back would seize up. I believe it’s in Malta now.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am 77, suffer from Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis, locked in my house for 4 months...........thanks Sainsbury and Tesco for allowing me to have an hour to do my shopping............duh, how?
Deliveries booked up for months....starvation here we come

·
Administrator
13,046 Posts
Well I hope your local authority is quicker than round here. We (H&B4x4R) have been ready since last Friday and not a single request yet!!! And yes they are aware.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I am 77, suffer from Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis, locked in my house for 4 months...........thanks Sainsbury and Tesco for allowing me to have an hour to do my shopping............duh, how?
Deliveries booked up for months....starvation here we come
Sainsburys are prioritising deliveries for people in your category..... I suggest you go on their grocery website and see if you can get any joy. My wife and I got an email (sent at 4a.m.) inviting us to book a delivery slot, which we did, and have just had our delivery (including bog rolls!). Admittedly we were already customers, as we shop online from time to time when we are too unwell to shop in store. Now we are "shutaways" this is a most welcome lifeline for us. Hope you are successful in getting the help you need.

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
I had a Midget (or more correctly a Sprite) Graham. This one; it was a wee bit special, because under the bonnet was 2.0 litres and 150bhp of Alfa Romeo twin cam. 🤣 Brrrrrrrrmmmmm!!! i had to sell it. Driving it was brilliant, but once I levered myself out of the seat, I couldn’t walk if I’d been more than about 20 miles, back would seize up. I believe it’s in Malta now.

View attachment 3561
Very nice, but then I knew you had good taste.
That an Ashley bonnet?

·
Premium Member
4,768 Posts
Modelled on a Sebring Sprite; custom made by a firm called MG Mecca in Norfolk.
Seemingly designed to make the front end styling kind of resemble a Healey 3000 :)

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #219
I had an e-mail from the Chief Executive of Sainsbury's yesterday, saying stores would be limiting numbers entering at one time, setting 2-metre gaps between queuers outside and policing the ATM. So I was dreading today's shop. However ... the car park was less than 1/8 full and there were two yellow jacketed people by the ATM and a manager at the entrance. I was allowed straight in, the shop was practically deserted and well stocked with fresh veg, some meat, very few tinned pulses, some wine and very few eggs. However, I bought everything I needed, including hand soap. Everyone kept a respectful distance and tape marked 2 metres apart on the floor at the checkout. The cashier was wearing a mask but took it off becasue she was too hot. Apparently, it was busier early on today, but maybe the panic buying is over, or else people like me were worried about the queues. As I left, they were letting one in for one out. On to ALDI - no queues, well-stocked and again I was able to buy the few items not available at Sainsbury's. I placed an order for meat with a local butcher for collection tomorrow, as advised on their Facebook page. However I was told tomorrow may be their last day, even though they are very busy with 'phone orders, so I'll check. They also offered home deliveries as an extra free service. In a previous post I suggested a blacklist of companies like Wetherspoons, but similarly I'll tell the butcher that as a result I'll get the majority of our meat from there. I thank supermarket staff as well, which seems to be appreciated.

·
Registered
146 Posts
We use a variety of places for shopping - Coop, health food shop (caters for wifey's allergies), a local food cooperative, Tesco occasionally, and Waitrose rarely.

Health food shop and food cooperative now running short, so thought we'd better plan ahead with a supermarket home delivery slot. We're trying to avoid visiting a supermarket in person - even on my own - as my wife has already had pneumonia twice and is very vulnerable to chest infections.
The Coop doesn't do home deliveries,Tesco has no slots until after 16th April, Waitrose not accepting home deliveries. Sainsbury (nearest is 12 miles away) not accepting new registrations. Good job we can piggyback on our daughter's Tesco delivery!

201 - 220 of 223 Posts