Yeti Owners Club banner

481 - 500 of 576 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
There are various recommendations for home-made face masks. When I rode my Bantam in the wet, I used to wear a Terry towel nappy. Worked well.
I remember as a kid rolling over with laughter when one of our mates had a Dr White ST around his face once to save dust from bikes choking him, he was innocent to what it actually was until we all told him.

There was another name for them in them days (JR was the initials) but will not write it on here.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #483
I cycled through town today and now the on-street parking is coned and roped-off on the West Cliff. Locals are not welcoming visitors yet - no shops, pubs and cafes - and the toilets are closed. I found a link today in Bracknell News to the ONS Coronavirus map, which shows death rates for a given postcode. Ignore the links and enter your postcode in the search box at the bottom. None yet in Whitby.

·
Administrator
13,446 Posts
In case it is of interest here is this weeks PPE update. With the help of Serve On CRT (Community Response Team) we have been named as the gold standard PPE delivery system that has been commended by the Royal Logistics Corp as good practice for all other LRF's (Local Resilience Force) to follow

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Bloody well done!!!

Still no call out for our Team so today I got permission from the Police to deliver some scrubs made locally to the C19 Unit Engineers in Aberystwyth, so the Midget got a "legal" blast, with both my reg numbers noted, just in case.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
I cycled through town today and now the on-street parking is coned and roped-off on the West Cliff. Locals are not welcoming visitors yet - no shops, pubs and cafes - and the toilets are closed. I found a link today in Bracknell News to the ONS Coronavirus map, which shows death rates for a given postcode. Ignore the links and enter your postcode in the search box at the bottom. None yet in Whitby.
Without getting to political.
Locals "SHOULD" be venting there anger on the PM, it is them that actually voted him in place and he is making the decisions in England.
The visitors are only doing what they have been told they can do.

I just hope for all the UK that death figures do not rise in England due to the recent changes in "lockdown"

·
Registered
308 Posts
There are various recommendations for home-made face masks. When I rode my Bantam in the wet, I used to wear a Terry towel nappy. Worked well.
If anyone is hopeless at DIY / sewing etc, unlike Jimmy obviously, I've found out that my GP has a supply of masks for sale. I don't know the price or type as I haven't bought one yet but it may be worth checking with your particular GP's to see if your GP surgery is selling them. If anyone wants to know how much mine are charging and exactly what type of mask they are I can find out on Monday.

·
Administrator
13,446 Posts
Still no call out for our Team
We are still busy but have quite a lot of spare capacity (at the moment) we average 40 deliveries a day but could handle 90. The company the government intend to use to deliver PPE Amazon style with online ordering currently supply our Hub. Several Responders have returned to work.
Now the lockdown has been eased, (in England), allowed to drive for non essential purposes and meet one person who is not a a member of your own household we can start 1-2-1 assessments. I sent emails to eleven prospective members last night. It would be nice if they could get to make some deliveries from the Hub as that would give them a chance to see what we do and the person there would have time to answer any questions they may have (from a social distance).

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #489
Further to my post with a link to check on Covid-19 deaths, I've been looking at the map, which shows clusters of deaths. The major cities have large numbers, with London being the worst affected. North Yorkshire has fairly low numbers, but it was upsetting to see the number of deaths in Middlesbrough, which is a fairly deprived area economically. Wales has fairly low numbers, perhaps due to their tight lockdown procedures and lower population densities. The figures heighten my resolve to avoid towns and crowded areas.

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
One of the problems is Wales, certainly when they first started recording deaths in hospitals as a measure, was that in much of Mid and North Wales our residents go to england, so didn't show for, say, much of Powys.

Allegedly my postcode has had 1 death, however I take that with a very large pinch of salt, from the huge increase in death notices published. Those have increased threefold at least; all aged, and many in local Care Homes. My thoughts are also backed up by comments from one of the local Paramedics.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Interesting developments on the Norfolk Broads. Hire fleets still in lockdown; boat owners can go out on boats for ‘exercise’, but are not allowed to stay on boats overnight, must go home. OK, lots of locals have boats, maybe go out for a sail or cruise for a couple of hours, get some fresh air, no harm done. But lots of boats owned by people from miles away. The boat is like a caravan or holiday home to them, they may come for a weekend regularly, or few weeks in summer, and stay on the boat.

Well a few have been cheeky and come and stayed overnight ... and the locals have dobbed them in. The boatyard owners (where the boats are normally moored) have come in for the morning, seen boats missing from their berths, and cars parked in the car park, and called Police. Police have been and slapped tickets, presumably fines, on the car windows. Also, if the boats have moored up for the night somewhere within sight of local houses, the local residents seeing lights on the boats at night have called Police, and there’s been a tap on the window.

Norwich has the lowest incidence of Covid infection of any city in the UK, we‘d like to keep it that way!

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Interesting developments on the Norfolk Broads. Hire fleets still in lockdown; boat owners can go out on boats for ‘exercise’, but are not allowed to stay on boats overnight, must go home. OK, lots of locals have boats, maybe go out for a sail or cruise for a couple of hours, get some fresh air, no harm done. But lots of boats owned by people from miles away. The boat is like a caravan or holiday home to them, they may come for a weekend regularly, or few weeks in summer, and stay on the boat.

Well a few have been cheeky and come and stayed overnight ... and the locals have dobbed them in. The boatyard owners (where the boats are normally moored) have come in for the morning, seen boats missing from their berths, and cars parked in the car park, and called Police. Police have been and slapped tickets, presumably fines, on the car windows. Also, if the boats have moored up for the night somewhere within sight of local houses, the local residents seeing lights on the boats at night have called Police, and there’s been a tap on the window.

Norwich has the lowest incidence of Covid infection of any city in the UK, we‘d like to keep it that way!
I just can not believe how people do not understand a simple rule in these times.

As a static caravan owner our site is closed (as all others are) and are keeping an eye on things closely, i did here a whisper that one site near where we are who have tourers and tents on were not not even considering opening that side this season now, as it would be impossible to control social distancing in toilets and shower blocks 24hrs.

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Nice one Bob!!
We have second/holiday homes around here and similar things have been happening with a knock on the door from the local Heddlu.
And I'm sorry to say this, but they are all English!!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I bet that a lot of those characters are also making a big show of clapping on a Thursday evening. This situation seems to have brought out the best in a lot of people but sadly brought out the worst in many others.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
I bet that a lot of those characters are also making a big show of clapping on a Thursday evening. This situation seems to have brought out the best in a lot of people but sadly brought out the worst in many others.
Just read 11 people from same family,3 cars but different households travelled from Manchester to Anglesey.
26 people in Barmouth in breach of lockdown regulations.
3 vehicles with 9 men from Manchester sent back from Bala.

What do these people think about this epidemic?

·
Administrator
13,446 Posts
The new people next door have made no effort to talk to any of their new neighbours, but have had a constant stream of people coming and going, including a builder who moved in for ten days. The house was drastically under valued by the selling agent and sold in three days to one of their own staff, so I suppose I should not expect any better from a crook. They also have a baby and a toddler so no thought given to their wellbeing by their parents.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #497
Another effect following the lockdown and very restricted travel is fuel consumption. I brimmed the tank today and the average mpg over the last 11 weeks is just over 30.

·
Premium Member
5,370 Posts
Another effect following the lockdown and very restricted travel is fuel consumption. I brimmed the tank today and the average mpg over the last 11 weeks is just over 30.
Mine is doing really well, I'm now getting 4 weeks to the gallon.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
I think my lawn mower is using more at present.:LOL::LOL:

Edit; Actually i did buy 10lts of petrol for it when all this kicked off and filled the car, will have to check date and mileage.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Just commuting to work, with no driving for pleasure, getting an average over the last 1,000 miles of 47.6mpg . As for lockdown in Wales attached is the view I had last Saturday at midnight.
IMG_20200509_231741.jpg

1 of those is mine, no prizes for spotting it.
Sadly 2 ambulances are having to wait to fill up because of all these numpties.

481 - 500 of 576 Posts