Yeti Owners Club banner

501 - 520 of 576 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Just commuting to work, with no driving for pleasure, getting an average over the last 1,000 miles of 47.6mpg . As for lockdown in Wales attached is the view I had last Saturday at midnight.
View attachment 3898
1 of those is mine, no prizes for spotting it.
Sadly 2 ambulances are having to wait to fill up because of all these numpties.
o_O Saturday at midnight :unsure: where have they all come from at that time????

·
Registered
439 Posts
o_O Saturday at midnight :unsure: where have they all come from at that time????
Unfortunately that's normal. Many vehicles such as the emergency services ( they get treats ) and essentials such as Network Rail, taxis and couriers, leave it till later to avoid all the others. And I don't blame them, seems that more people than you'd think consider everything they do essential.

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
Unfortunately that's normal. Many vehicles such as the emergency services ( they get treats ) and essentials such as Network Rail, taxis and couriers, leave it till later to avoid all the others. And I don't blame them, seems that more people than you'd think consider everything they do essential.
Indeed. And it’s surprising how many actually are essential. Food delivery chain and transport workers for example. Bank staff, all the thousands of extra warehouse and delivery staff taken on over the last six weeks by Amazon. To name but one of the business that are booming in the current economic climate. All the items being ordered from Amazon even mentioned by members on here alone, have all been delivered. Whether the item was on anyone else’s list of goods considered “essential” or not? Those did not get to their destinations by magic. But were packed in boxes, loaded on a truck, driven hundreds of miles, then out by van to their ultimate destination or abode where the person lives who placed the order. The boxes themselves had to be manufactured, and transported to the Amazon fullfillment Centres. All that takes people who need to drive to work.

As public transport to get to work is considered less safe. Many more of those people are using their private cars to get to work. Or base depot.

I also know of one funeral director for example, who had to make a 350 mile round trip last Saturday, starting at 6 a.m. to retrieve our daughter from Addenbrookes hospital in Cambridge, back to North Yorkshire. I imagine he needed to refuel at some point before that journey too.

My own own the trip from Yorkshire to Cambridge, then on to Norfolk, and ultimately back to Yorkshire, over the course of last week, I also considered “essential”. After all, had I not been personally in Cambridge on Sunday, who would have signed our daughter’s organ donation forms? Enabling three families who would have been despairing of ever finding a kidney or liver donor for their own members in the current situation, to receive some good news at least.

On the return trip last Friday, I was mildly surprised how many trucks from places like Poland, Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia were on the roads. Making their way up from Felixstowe and Hull, etc. To wherever their essential loads were destined.

The rules is changin’ too. The house building site at the bottom of our road is back in business today. After a safe working practices inspection yesterday. One of the inspection check sheets blew off-site and became lodged by my front door, literally. A blank sheet, rather than a filled in form. But the long list of items that had to be checked off was interesting. Requiring such things the site canteen area needing to be laid out for distancing, and all items like kettles, microwave ovens, etc. removed. Along with all the deep cleaning items for other “communal” areas, etc.

The garden centre near where we live is open today. Passing on a daily health walk earlier this afternoon, I noticed the car park was quite literally “rammed”. With cars queueing to get in. People teeming over the visible areas to choose potting plants, etc. And other “essential” items for their own gardens no doubt. One person’s frivolous extravagance can easily be another’s essential lifeline.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Fully understand about some filling up but still midnight confuses me.

The Tesco stores in our town some time ago before CV was 24hr but closed because between 21.00 - 06.00 they were only getting a few in.

Everywhere except clubs was dead.

I think Bobdogs answer is the best excuse for being out that time of night now.;);)

·
Administrator
4,561 Posts
I wondered if it was MouldyPaul's baking skills had become wider known and he was drawing bigger crowds all hoping to get a share.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #511
A reported effect of the pandemic and all of the associated publicity is the pressure on one's state of mind. I don't feel anxious but my sub-conscious must be affected because I have two reactions. I sleep fitfully, waking up several times a night, although I do go back to sleep, sometimes helped either by music or a story from Alexa. (Harry Potter 1 works well for me). I'm also having the most vivid dreams, some good, some work-related with everything going wrong and the rest just bizarre goings on. The second effect is on my bowels, which are regularly constipated, so I wonder whether that is coincidence or a result of underlying stress. Last week I was so bunged-uo that I took a strong solution of Epsom Salts and within an hour was painting several maps of Africa in quick succession. Not ideal, but it took a weight off my mind! Is anyone affected with similar experiencies?

·
Registered
453 Posts
A reported effect of the pandemic and all of the associated publicity is the pressure on one's state of mind. I don't feel anxious but my sub-conscious must be affected because I have two reactions. I sleep fitfully, waking up several times a night, although I do go back to sleep, sometimes helped either by music or a story from Alexa. (Harry Potter 1 works well for me). I'm also having the most vivid dreams, some good, some work-related with everything going wrong and the rest just bizarre goings on. The second effect is on my bowels, which are regularly constipated, so I wonder whether that is coincidence or a result of underlying stress. Last week I was so bunged-uo that I took a strong solution of Epsom Salts and within an hour was painting several maps of Africa in quick succession. Not ideal, but it took a weight off my mind! Is anyone affected with similar experiencies?
Classic symptoms of a guilty conscience!

·
Administrator
13,446 Posts
Some strange symptoms being reported on the other thread. A month or so ago my innards liquified and I had a pain in my left hip that was so severe whenever I tried to walk or sleep on my left side I was covered from head to foot in sweat. It improved after about five days and now just a very slight ache in the hip, makes you wonder.
Tested my sense of smell and taste with a bacon butte, passed with flying colours, quite happy to repeat that test. :)

·
Registered
830 Posts
My conscience must be completely innocent!
I've suffered none of those things in response to the pandemic and simply get on with 'stuff' while keeping to the social distancing rules and all the other sensible things. I sleep well and rarely, if ever, wake up during the night. That's a marked difference from when I was working as I frequently laid there thinking about how to solve some problem or other and kept paper and pen next to my bed so I could write down any bright idea.
Maybe it's just my way of dealing with some things? In January last year a surgeon told me that I had scored high (9/10) on my prostate biopsy, that the cancer was an "aggressive little bugger" and that I'd be one of the men who die from it, rather than with it, without treatment. Somehow that was what I expected and I'd already done my research and chosen surgery over radiotherapy. The op was nine days later and my PSA level has stayed around the barely detectable level.
I have had worse days though. :)

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
My conscience must be completely innocent!
I've suffered none of those things in response to the pandemic and simply get on with 'stuff' while keeping to the social distancing rules and all the other sensible things. I sleep well and rarely, if ever, wake up during the night. That's a marked difference from when I was working as I frequently laid there thinking about how to solve some problem or other and kept paper and pen next to my bed so I could write down any bright idea.
Maybe it's just my way of dealing with some things? In January last year a surgeon told me that I had scored high (9/10) on my prostate biopsy, that the cancer was an "aggressive little bugger" and that I'd be one of the men who die from it, rather than with it, without treatment. Somehow that was what I expected and I'd already done my research and chosen surgery over radiotherapy. The op was nine days later and my PSA level has stayed around the barely detectable level.
I have had worse days though. :)
Do you mind if i give you pm?

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Some strange symptoms being reported on the other thread. A month or so ago my innards liquified and I had a pain in my left hip that was so severe whenever I tried to walk or sleep on my left side I was covered from head to foot in sweat. It improved after about five days and now just a very slight ache in the hip, makes you wonder.
Tested my sense of smell and taste with a bacon butte, passed with flying colours, quite happy to repeat that test. :)
:cry::cry::cry::cry:Having given up bacon butties (i had them nearly every day up and to they said my bp was high)

Seems a little irrelevant now.

:unsure: What did it taste like?;);)

501 - 520 of 576 Posts