Yeti Owners Club banner

521 - 531 of 531 Posts

Registered
DIY catheter unblocking. That was fun too, especially when I found that I could squirt water in but not get it back out! :)

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #523

Administrator
Has anyone else registered with UK Biobank had an email that starts like this?..........................

We are writing to seek your help to undertake urgent research on COVID-19 in UK Biobank.
"With your help we can gather vital information about the spread of the coronavirus that will help guide the next steps that we take to contain it"

Professor Sir Patrick Vallance, UK Government Chief Scientific Adviser.

Thanks to your participation and the data that it already holds about you, UK Biobank is at the forefront of health research and is in a unique position to enable scientists to carry out ground-breaking research into the COVID-19 pandemic. However, we could do much more with your help.

Over the next few months, we would like to collect blood samples and information from you that will provide researchers with vital data about the extent of previous infection in different regions across the UK. This information will help in managing the COVID-19 pandemic and a safe return to normal life.

How you can help
If you would like to help, you will be sent a kit for taking approximately 10 drops of blood (around 0.5ml or one tenth of a teaspoon) from a finger-prick every month for at least 6 months. Each sample will need to be mailed to our laboratory, where it will be processed and then tested for coronavirus antibodies (which show that a person has been infected with the virus at some time in the past).

The information sheet tells you more about what is involved, including why we would also like you to ask your children and grandchildren (if you have any) to consider joining this study, if possible. To check your contact details and register your interest, please log into the UK Biobank participant website using your PID

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #525
Mrs. J received the e-mail but as they wouldnt give her the results she didnt reply.

Premium Member
Managed to get a test kit from Gov site for wife this morning, so should be here in 48hrs and she should have any results quickly (save waiting 14 days isolating) and then i have 2nd test within a week.

Also my daughter ordered 2 for her and her son as she is key worker, just to keep her mind at rest.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #528
That's a shame, but Bio bank never give the results so a bit of a surprise.
5 ml is a lot of blood. We test daily with a fingerprick test for T2 blood sugar levels, but it only requires a 'full stop' amount.

Administrator
5 ml is a lot of blood. We test daily with a fingerprick test for T2 blood sugar levels, but it only requires a 'full stop' amount.
Same here, I wonder if it is available on line (without subscription as I am thrifty).

Administrator
Considering that on our busiest day we made 54 deliveries this was a quiet week at the Hub, just 82 deliveries in all. Perhaps the supply to those who need it is improving, a strange feeling being pleased that soon we may be running out of work. In case it is of interest, here are this weeks stats....

Statistics Saturday. The team achieved the next big milestone this week having driven in excess of 20k miles. Thats equal to Southampton to Auckland and back as far as Bahrain.

521 - 531 of 531 Posts