Yeti Owners Club banner

161 - 180 of 223 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
ALDI better-stocked today with plenty of milk and bread, but little meat. One tin of dog food left! Plenty of booze.
That will soon change!

There will be no beer from tomorrow onwards!

And sadly for some you can forget about dog food as the dog will soon be your food!

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
I went into the local Morrisons a couple of hours ago and it was devoid of all high demand items: not a veg or fruit in sight and lots of other empty shelves.

One employee (or colleague) said that the truck driver had been taken ill so no delivery so far today. Another said that the truck had been hi-jacked . . . . .
From experience i have had many an odd excuse from Morrisons for there stock, or lack of it.

One Christmas they had all week a ltr brand of whisky for £15 it was out of stock all week, but come the next Monday morning (price change for Mondays)the shelves were fully stocked with it for full price.

·
Premium Member
4,768 Posts
Plenty of primary schools are not actually closing fully. They’ll be staying open to provide childcare facilities for the children of essential medical and emergency services staff. 7 days a week. Including during what used to be deemed the Easter “holidays”. Some schools are arranging a daily shift scheme for which staff will be working on which days. I’m pleased to say farmers have also been added to the list of essential workers - proving food supplies. Although round here most farmers won’t be dropping their kids at school. Too useful at home helping with the daily chores.

I heard of one school (not in Yorkshire), where a parent had phoned in to ask if she could be considered an essential worker so she could bring her child into school each day “as normal”. Her profession? Banker! Good job it wasn’t me on the end of the phone call. Or the answer would have been two words, with the second one being “off”.

·
Administrator
13,046 Posts
Important financial services such as banks are included (governments words not mine).

Many places are going cashless to avoid handling money so the banks may suffer after the virus has gone

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Just been to m&s this evening to collect a delivery. Loads of food there so we grocery shopped. Some gaps but we got everything we needed except milk and bread, but it was after 8pm. They mainly concentrate on up market fresh food so not attractive to those who normally use lidl and similar
Then went to Sainsbury for fuel, and the cashier let me know they had had a delivery. Loads of milk, quite a lot of meat available. Again no bread or toilet rolls though. 115p for petrol though, hasn't been that cheap for years and the few miles we are doing at the moment could last my wifes car for many weeks.

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
Just been to m&s this evening to collect a delivery. Loads of food there so we grocery shopped. Some gaps but we got everything we needed except milk and bread, but it was after 8pm. They mainly concentrate on up market fresh food so not attractive to those who normally use lidl and similar
Then went to Sainsbury for fuel, and the cashier let me know they had had a delivery. Loads of milk, quite a lot of meat available. Again no bread or toilet rolls though. 115p for petrol though, hasn't been that cheap for years and the few miles we are doing at the moment could last my wifes car for many weeks.
Wow there is some difference in prices you pay shopping at Marks & Sparks and then sourcing the cheapest fuel.

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
Did notice after queuing in boots for 1 and a half hours for the mother in laws prescription which should have been delivered yesterday, coming home £117 for diesel at independent so should be cheaper at the Supers.

Next weeks objective is fill me tank up and get a few cans of John Smith's, and i will be happy for a week until the food starts going down.

I would wager my house that come then things will be worse than now, no matter what restrictions are being put in the shops, i can not see any stock being there no matter what.

·
Administrator
13,046 Posts
This morning I went to a garden centre to buy a No 6 balloon and they are selling products from their restaurant which is now takeaway only. So swmbo got some milk and mushrooms. They also had toilet rolls for sale, and fruit, potatoes, eggs etc. So as well as a chance of finding something to eat a way of helping an independent garden centre.

I have just put our 4x4R group on standby and at present 10% are self isolating. The next couple of days are likely to be the lull before the storm.

·
Premium Member
4,768 Posts
Next weeks objective is fill me tank up and get a few cans of John Smith's, and i will be happy for a week until the food starts going down.
I would wager my house that come then things will be worse than now, no matter what restrictions are being put in the shops, i can not see any stock being there no matter what.
Really? Methinks your house may be in danger?

As predicted by supermarkets themselves, at 10:00 today, our local Morrisons fully stocked on all the previously emptied items. Fruit & Veg, bread, canned stuff, even kitchen towels and yes some toilet rolls in evidence. As supply chain management have prioritised the lorry space to load only the main staple items. A few less immediately essential items still missing, like unbranded paracetamol tablets, but even a few branded, more expensive lines like Solpadine fully stocked. Frozen food lines still 50% depleted, till the next reefer lorry gets in. Zero queues at fuel station, which is very unusual for a Sat a.m.

Second supermarket visited briefly fully stocked with bread, fruit, veg, etc. Just flour and baking supplies conspicuous by absence till the next delivery. Milk, cheese, dairy generally all fully stocked. Could even find supplies of my favourite Yeo Valley yogurts (that Morrisons don’t stock anyway). Soap and hand wash still empty, but I expect that will change with the next lorry load to come in.

Seems like the “stocking up” panic has peaked already, mid-week. All the stockers have larders, cupboards and freezers are now rammed. So there will be ample supplies by next week for emergency and critical care workers like the poor distressed lady in York on TV news and FB yesterday. Till those now with fully stocked cupboards run out again. So the panic re-stock sets off again. As that lady so eloquently said: “Please stop it!”

Road fuel prices still have further to fall. With airlines no longer taking huge supplies of jet fuel and kerosine, refineries will be tweaked rapidly to switch to the closely related gas oil for heating and derv. Or mothballed completely. By far the biggest falls in equity markets are among energy supply companies. With Saudi refusing (so far) to cut production, the world is about to be awash with oil, both crude and refined. Brent crude has fallen below $30/barrel for the first time in decades. Wait for the next news to be redundant supertankers anchored off the coast of West Africa to be taken out of mothballing to act as emergency storage for surplus oil and fuel supplies.

Coronavirus has achieved already what Greta Thunberg failed. Cut flying by 90%. Reduced CO2 emissions dramatically. Cut road vehicle traffic by 70% at peak times, further adding to fuel surplus. UK city NOx levels lowest they’ve been since began measuring. EV running costs compared to IC will possibly be starting to look even more expensive by summer? (Sorry Graham!). The long term outlook if there are only 25% of airlines left alive by this time next year, that the “new normal” will be massive reductions in air travel and hence CO2.

·
Premium Member
4,768 Posts
The Hood / Derek may be able to tell us what the consensus outlook is at Heathrow? E.G. Third runway not only a political dead duck, but starting to look like could have been a white elephant, even if went ahead?

Britannia Hotels being the chain to boycott when this over - this week the management at Britannia not only closed their hotel at Coylumbridge, near Aviemore, but also sacked all the staff outright, immediately. Then with many of those workers being resident in the hotel gave them 24 hours to vacate the premises.

In Today’s “i weekend” newspaper, EasyJet have asked “pilots and cabin staff to take 2-months unpaid leave even though the carrier’s senior management team are taking only a 20% pay cut for three months. The airline’s management have attempted to force the pay freeze through and into contracts, before Chancellor Rishi Sunak announced the government would cover 80% of employee pay to safeguard jobs. The airline is however insisting on paying out £174m in dividends to shareholders, including £60m to the airline’s founder Sir Stelios Haji-Iaoannou, who controls 34% of the airline’s shares.” Nice parachute and soft landing there for Stelios then?

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
I read a review of an interesting new publication called 'The Rules of Contagion' by Adam Kucharski, an epidemiologist at the London School of Hygiens and Tropical Medicine. Although written before Covid19 became established, it contains some interesting and relevant points. All contagious outbreaks are the same in following an SIR model - susceptibility, infection and recovery. The reproduction number, R, is the number of people an infected person will go on to infect. If R < 1, the disease will die out whilst if R >1 the infection will spread. For Coronavirus, R is between 2 and 3, equivalent to SARS 2002; for Ebola and pandemic flu, R is between 1 and 2, whereas for measles, being highly infective, R = 20. So if all our efforts are focussed on containment, reduced social contact and treatment, when R < 1 it will die out. If everyone abides by the Government guidelines, as exemplified by Colin's post above, then everyone should be fine. Go out, enjoy the fresh air, keep well away from other people, wash hands regularly, wear disposable gloves when shopping and eventually you may even be fitter and better informed: for example I'm going to refresh my stale French ready for when I can eventually visit my sister's new house in Southern France. Keep calm and carry on or as Churchill famously said, when all around you seems to be in a state of collapse, 'KBO'.

·
Administrator
13,046 Posts
The Hood / Derek may be able to tell us what the consensus outlook is at Heathrow? E.G. Third runway not only a political dead duck, but starting to look like could have been a white elephant, even if went ahead?
Heathrow used to have six runways in the shape of a Jewish star, then it dropped to three, 23 left, 23 right and another I can't remember the number of, which was diagonal and only used during difficult winds. When T5 opened if the diagonal runway was used parked aircraft in T5 had to be moved as there was a danger of an aircraft running into them if it had brake problems.
I am afraid my attitude over the "third" runway is build another runway at LHR, LGW and STN. More runways does not necessarily equate to more aircraft. Bigger aircraft need bigger gaps between them and newer aircraft use less fuel and produce lower emissions. An extra runway would mean less queuing to take off which would actually reduce emissions. When Concorde was in service it had to be given priority over others to take off, or it had to return to stand to take on extra fuel. Heathrow is like the M25 at rush hour, if anything goes wrong it causes chaos and increased emissions.

Towing aircraft to the runway was tried but found not to work as so many tugs would be needed, plus they couldn't just drop off an aircraft in case it had start up problems and would also need a headset operator to oversee it. The conventional tugs such as a DC12 were fitted with a chieftain tank engine not environmentally friendly and very noisy, the later TBL (towbarless) tugs are not built to withstand the same level of use and the current "toy" Mototok is designed to move aircraft around hangers. An electric pushback tractor was in use around 1983 but failed to hold sufficient charge long enough and was sent to Manchester. So a third runway would actually reduce emissions. Heathrow Airport Ltd own the land between LHR (west side) and the M25 and quite a lot to the North of the airport. The third runway is actually shown on an airport map produced in 1948, and the turn off points already exist along side runway 23R and northside. Just a matter of time, during which the cost will spiral as with the channel tunnel, and HS2.

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
Really? Methinks your house may be in danger?

As predicted by supermarkets themselves, at 10:00 today, our local Morrisons fully stocked on all the previously emptied items. Fruit & Veg, bread, canned stuff, even kitchen towels and yes some toilet rolls in evidence. As supply chain management have prioritised the lorry space to load only the main staple items. A few less immediately essential items still missing, like unbranded paracetamol tablets, but even a few branded, more expensive lines like Solpadine fully stocked. Frozen food lines still 50% depleted, till the next reefer lorry gets in. Zero queues at fuel station, which is very unusual for a Sat a.m.

Second supermarket visited briefly fully stocked with bread, fruit, veg, etc. Just flour and baking supplies conspicuous by absence till the next delivery. Milk, cheese, dairy generally all fully stocked. Could even find supplies of my favourite Yeo Valley yogurts (that Morrisons don’t stock anyway). Soap and hand wash still empty, but I expect that will change with the next lorry load to come in.

Seems like the “stocking up” panic has peaked already, mid-week. All the stockers have larders, cupboards and freezers are now rammed. So there will be ample supplies by next week for emergency and critical care workers like the poor distressed lady in York on TV news and FB yesterday. Till those now with fully stocked cupboards run out again. So the panic re-stock sets off again. As that lady so eloquently said: “Please stop it!”

Road fuel prices still have further to fall. With airlines no longer taking huge supplies of jet fuel and kerosine, refineries will be tweaked rapidly to switch to the closely related gas oil for heating and derv. Or mothballed completely. By far the biggest falls in equity markets are among energy supply companies. With Saudi refusing (so far) to cut production, the world is about to be awash with oil, both crude and refined. Brent crude has fallen below $30/barrel for the first time in decades. Wait for the next news to be redundant supertankers anchored off the coast of West Africa to be taken out of mothballing to act as emergency storage for surplus oil and fuel supplies.

Coronavirus has achieved already what Greta Thunberg failed. Cut flying by 90%. Reduced CO2 emissions dramatically. Cut road vehicle traffic by 70% at peak times, further adding to fuel surplus. UK city NOx levels lowest they’ve been since began measuring. EV running costs compared to IC will possibly be starting to look even more expensive by summer? (Sorry Graham!). The long term outlook if there are only 25% of airlines left alive by this time next year, that the “new normal” will be massive reductions in air travel and hence CO2.
Well i hope you are right!!
But experience this week in every outlet for food & toiletries round here, the shelves have been cleared well before 10.00.
After dropping grandson off i filled up at the nearest place, Sainsburies, and went in for beer the only cans left on shelf were 18 Fosters at £16 each and only about 10 left, i passed the veg area which looked pretty good but glancing down the isles there was very little to be had.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Started long overdue decorating and fingers crossed first completed room will have its new carpet fitted next Tuesday.
No longer have the excuse of going out to put it off and whole house needs doing. Couldn't start until older cost centre finally moved into his own home last year as I now have an unused bedroom to put all the stuff in. It like that game with the tiles and one space and you keep moving tiles around until you get the answer needed.
At this rate, if I stay well, whole house may be done by xmas!

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
I went to buy a paper at the local SPAR shop today and it was well-stocked, other than for toilet paper. They also sell Shell fuel at the same price as Sainsbury's, so now I fill up with 'proper' petrol. Petrol prices are falling, although not matching ASDA at Skelton last week, which was 114.7p/litre.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
Hi Flintstone. You take the part of the kitchen with the fridge, so your beer is cool and the tv side of the living room. Seriously, you are taking sensible measures and I wish you and your family good health. Here's hoping this thread remains empty. Good luck everyone and remember 'KBO'.

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
We left our hotel near Oban yesterday morning and had intended to stop for a couple of nights in Glasgow, but with the (at that time) threats to close museums we took the hit and drove all the way home.
Stopped around 11 for coffee at Cairndow with no problems and even the cafe was selling toilet rolls.
Lunch at Luss on the banks of Loch Lomond, and again no real problems other than no-one was taking cash so it was contactless for everything, even the bloody toliets!!
Stopped for an afternoon break at Tebay Services and having seen the prices they were charging used the flask we had filled at the hotel. Not many people there and quite frankly I wouldn't bother stopping at one of their venues again. Seemed to be more expensive than "normal" services.
It was only after there that we learnt of the closures of pubs, cafes and restaurants and had to succumb to a MacDonalds at Wrexham as we couldn't guarentee anything before we got home, where we arrived at just after 8, somewhat knackered.

having been away for the week we had nothing in the house so this morning I wandered into town to get enough food for the weekend and for a couple of days next week. Will admit I did buy 2 loaves, so one is in the freezer. Butcher didn't have any chickens but did have some large legs of turkey which he was willing to cut smaller, so that, some bacon and mince will see us through the best part of next week. And he will keep me a chicken next weekend. No problem getting milk or veg but did notice there was very little beer in the Spar, but I know one of the publicans and if I can provide him with some containers I won't go short!

And a nice picture on the road along Loch Awe from our hotel.

EDIT
Forgot to add, checked with 4x4 Response Wales about what was happening and got told nothing and they were not approaching any Bodies unless they were willing to pay expences! We've now volunteered with our local support group and I will be leaving the 4x4 Group because of their attitude.

·
Premium Member
4,768 Posts
The chain of infection we are looking at the moment is:
  • health care workers are front line.
  • their kids next in chain.
  • those kids are being day cared in SWMBO’s school
  • SWMBO brings it home unwittingly.
  • I’m 4th in line. With asthma.
So we’re looking at setting up “social distancing” within the house.
Fortunately with Cost Centres all away, we now have spare bedrooms and can allocate separate bathrooms.
Got the living room sorted now. His and Her settees and dual TV remotes! “My” side of the kitchen has the fridge, freezer, sink and dishwasher. Hers has the oven and hob.

·
Administrator
13,046 Posts
Forgot to add, checked with 4x4 Response Wales about what was happening and got told nothing and they were not approaching any Bodies unless they were willing to pay expences! We've now volunteered with our local support group and I will be leaving the 4x4 Group because of their attitude.
I have put our group on standby from Monday, thankfully the attitude is different here, members who's 4x4 is off the road (good old Landrover!) are offering to use their 2x4's, and one is even offering to book leave to help. No requests yet but after a conference call with Hampshire council on Friday morning it may be different next week

·
Registered
377 Posts
Sent out this morning to Sainsburys to get something for Sunday dinner, a paper and some beer for me. I made a beeline for the beer but nothing there, this is the main Sainsburys in Enfield but all gone. I did find a newspaper and a Norfolk black? chicken, last one. I looked for a mother's day card but they were all gone too so I got one with good luck on it, I'm filling it out now ... She has been phoning around telling how I brought back a small chicken cost £9.80p. Nothing else there so I think I done well.

161 - 180 of 223 Posts