Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can someone tell me the correct oil to use in my 2010 yeti I know its probably posted on the forum but I cant find it

·
Administrator
4,884 Posts
Any oil that meets the VW507 specification

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
If your Yeti has a petrol engine, any oil to VW 504.00 will also be OK.
VW 507 oils will also be perfectly fine. Just that they are formulated to match Diesel engine requirements, as well as petrol. Which principally means they contain higher detergent levels than oils designed purely for petrol engines. So may be slightly more expensive than a a good 504 spec oil.

The main thing to remember is that the label on the back of the oil pack, that states which engine manufacturer specifications the oil meets, is far more important than whatever the fancy label on the front says. :)

·
Administrator
4,884 Posts
The thread title says diesel but useful still to share the petrol standard.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is in deed a diesel but using the opieoils sight I have managed to sort it out I am having a little difficulty coming to terms with the range of prices for oil :(

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
The thread title says diesel but useful still to share the petrol standard.
Doh! I was too busy reading the OP to notice the title? 😕 :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
It is in deed a diesel but using the opieoils sight I have managed to sort it out I am having a little difficulty coming to terms with the range of prices for oil :(
The perils of living in a free market economy :)

Avoid the smallest pack sizes if al all possible?

The prices for exactly the same oil pack can vary by as much as 100% between different retailers. Let alone pack sizes.

Opie Oils regularly have special discounts on different oil brands. E.G. Last week, they had 10% off list on all Castrol Edge grades. If buying in small quantities less than 8-10 litres, then watch out for when they have special offers for zero shipping cost. Subscribe to their email notification service to be alerted to discounts.

If you are really prepared to be bewildered, also go to either Euro Car Parts or their sister company Car Parts 4 Less and use their similar registration number look up to find engine oils. Try them again on a weekend when their special,offers are on, to get even more different prices.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
having decided to check out Millers oils ( a local company to me ) I found Trident longlife 5-30 fully synthetic vw/g 504?507 at £32 for 5 litres Any thoughts ?

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
Sounds OK. That’s not much more than I expect to pay for 4l of Castrol Edge FST.

5 litres will also be enough for a 4.5 litre sump full.

If buying from Opie, you may need to order 2 packs though? To escape their normal delivery charge on orders under £60. For our Yeti, that would only by 12-months worth.

Are you buying filters from the same source? Prices of those can vary widely between different suppliers as well. It can also be wrong to assume that whoever is least cost on oil is also cheapest on filters, and vice versa. If urgent and ordering mid-week, CarParts4Less are often competitive. Or if you can hang on placing your order till a weekend, their parent company Euro Car Parts, despite having higher list prices for the same products, offer regular weekend and bank holiday discounts that mean they come out lower than CP4L.

The other difference is that CP4L are exclusively online order with delivery to your door by courier (“free” for standard delivery speed). No pick up options. Whereas ECP normally allow pick up from a nearby depot. If you have one close. Which can be same day if the depot has what you need in stock held locally. Handy sometimes.

Opie can also be competitive on filters at times. And recently have started to stock a whole range of other consumables too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think will go for Millers I can collect tomorrow morning and be done by lunch time :giggle: I have a filter in stock but I will remember to shop around for the next one. Having said that the next oil change will also include waterpump and timing belt so the filter will be a very minor part of the bill

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
Has anybody else had a problem removing the filter from the carrier, cannot apply too much force removing it with the centre column being plastic. I'm hoping it was a one off but the new filter was a bit tight installing it into the carrier, the 3 "O" rings went on easy enough, it was a Mann filter I was fitting..

·
Administrator
14,212 Posts
If you decide to use Eurocarparts and collect what you want, keep in mind that the online prices are just that, online prices. To get their online sale prices and collect in person, order online first for click and collect.

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
Has anybody else had a problem removing the filter from the carrier, cannot apply too much force removing it with the centre column being plastic. I'm hoping it was a one off but the new filter was a bit tight installing it into the carrier, the 3 "O" rings went on easy enough, it was a Mann filter I was fitting..
I’ve been habitually using Mann filters on all cars for over 18-months now. Previously favouring either Bosch or Mahle. Can’t say I noticed anything particularly untoward on the last two Yeti oil changes using Mann filter. Either removal of the old filter or fitting its replacement. Although possibly the new filter was a good tight push fit?

There’s very little risk to the long stem I suspect, so long as the pull off or push on is pretty parallel with axis. With only minimal wiggle angle to release the old. Modern plastics can be fairly tough stuff. BMW inlet manifolds have been 100% plastic for some while. (As is the Yeti’s). Although the 1990’s and early 2000s BMW plastic manifolds did go brittle with age and either crack or split open. They were made in two halves, upper and lower, then heat welded together along a seam before fitting to the car. On my first 330d, I did manage to split open the two halves, along an 8” length of the long outer seam of the main plenum chamber. Under maximum boost accelerating up to speed joining the A45 Warwick by-pass, down the slip road heading towards Coventry at 09:00 one morning. That went with quite a “bang”. Took a while to figure out what had happened, as the car still ran relatively fine, just with no boost. But under examination, even running on tickover, the gap would close up under zero boost, and only open up again when the boost built up.

Sorry, I’m wandering off topic again. Rauri - please stop me? :rolleyes:

Even more off topic, that was interesting. First time I definitely typed “Rauri”. But the auto-correct transmuted that to “Taurine”. That’s the ingredient in Red Bull that “gives you wings”. Multiple times stronger than caffeine as a stimulant and many times more impact on your liver. Not to mention the pink dye. That’s a very close chemical relative to the red dye they use in Agri diesel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you decide to use Eurocarparts and collect what you want, keep in mind that the online prices are just that, online prices. To get their online sale prices and collect in person, order online first for click and collect.
No I will collect from Millers

·
Administrator
14,212 Posts
I ordered some stuff from ECP's clearance sale this morning, the order was placed at 1145 qualifying for free delivery. The packages were with DHL at 1317 and are due to arrive tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
How many moths emerged when you prized open the wallet Derek?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts