Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must be feeling old and crotchety this morning but I wonder if the lockdown has made some of us forget how to drive. On a 14 mile round trip to the mini market I encountered two speeders (70 plus I'd guess) one tailgater (not unusual) one bloke trying to take his jacket off and drive at the same time (use the aircon mate), one 'weaver' - weaving along between kerb and crown of the road for a mile or more (please use the steering wheel please), one tractor driver with formula one aspirations and incredibly a driver who stuck to thirty mph on the main drag and then sped up in the thirty zone - cripes ! If this is the new normal then I need armoured car :)

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Same here! On the Sandbanks peninsular (Poole) we have a number of VERY rich people Average house price £7-10 MILLION.
Unfortunately their brain power does not equal the size of their wallets.
We have prancing horses Masers, Lambos, tooling around, obviously very bored as they drive around revving the engines unnecessarily trying to get a good crackle and a flame out of their tail pipes. Strangely not many red p*nis compensators.
The more humble older cars are often driven by complete tw*ts and given the space do 40 or 50 in 30 me zones and generally as well as their single brain cells are capable of doing!!

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
Some drivers make my blood boil.
Like the ones that tail gate you with no possible way or intention to pass, when i had the golf i would deliberately stick to the speed limit and as soon as i passed the sign i would drop it into third and put my foot flat out, the black smoke and the speed that i pulled away give them the message.
And the dilwyns that travel between home and Barmouth, there are not that many places to pass (in the yeti) and yet they will not let you pass them they speed up on the straights and then brake on every corner and go 35-40 mph, then they hit 30's and fly through touching 40

·
Registered
219 Posts
Where I live less traffic during CV19 means that the A-road we live on is like a racetrack at times - cars and bikes. There's a 50 limit, but many are doing 70+. There seems to be never a thought of 'What if...' or what might happen if they round a bend and there's a dead tractor or similar.

·
Premium Member
5,140 Posts
Traffic density (and speeds) back to pre-lockdown levels between here and Newcastle yesterday.

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
Traffic density (and speeds) back to pre-lockdown levels between here and Newcastle yesterday.
I am struggling to comprehend how some people are at present dealing with the current situation.
The virus has not gone away, yet the pictures of people flocking to the coast is beyond belief, i could go on and on about different situations, but those pictures tell me that what is the use of trying not to get the virus.

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
If you think the drivers are insane, (DON"T) come to Bournemouth.
For some reason the covidiots seem to think this is pleasurable. £30 tons of rubbish removed from 1/2 mile of beach. Absolute MORONS!

·
Registered
190 Posts
With no real scientific/medical solution yet, our safety is in the hands of these responsible members of society...

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Lots of people on the beaches around Whitby yesterday. The majority of people on the beach were young, either in family groups or with friends. The older people were walking along the promenade.

·
Premium Member
5,140 Posts
Perhaps bear in mind that the age groups for the majority of the mid-week beach goers would suggest:
A) These people are treating the whole thing as a 3-month, government-sponsored holiday, while furloughed. Which may end soon? “Health risk? Surely it’s healthy to get a good beach tan?” (So they can develop melanomas in a few years time?)
B) These are the same age groups that would normally be jetting off to Ibiza, Magaluf, Spain, Tunisia or Portugal for 2-week stretches at this time of year. Often more than once over a summer. They can’t do that yet for a couple more weeks. So we are experiencing first hand what the residents of beach resorts in those places see of Brits every year? Perhaps with a little less alcohol fuelling at the moment. Behaviour patterns that we are normally distanced from at home in GB.

It must be REALLY frustrating for all the shop owners and accommodation providers in those areas, currently struggling to avoid being sucked into the black hole of bankruptcy. To see all these “people” flocking to their areas, but NOT spending money locally. I know would be totally pissed off in their position.

It would be interesting to know what fuel (petrol and diesel) sales have been like over the last two weeks. Compared to same period over last 2-3 years and to two weeks in mid-April. When traffic levels were at mid-1950s levels. (Clear roads accounted then for the physical ability to ignore speed restrictions).

I can only guess that Michael and Emily Eavis are NOT regretting their early decision to postpone Glastonbury this year? Imagine what that would be like if the same groups viewed it as an escape from the lockdown pressure cooker? Having chatted with Michael Eavis once, soon after his dairy herd won the annual “Gold Cup” award a few years ago, for the best managed and performing herd in the UK, I can only describe him as one of the sanest and most reasonable chaps to talk to, that I have ever met.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
I don't know about fuel sales nationally, but a local SPAR shop also has an ESSO filling station. I've never been in to the shop or driven past when there haven't been at least two vehicles refuelling. Our Karoq is having its first service on Monday, so I'll ask whether car sales have picked up. I'll also ask about progress with an electric Karoq or equivalent. The hybrid Superb (my favourite Skoda) and all-electric Citygo should also be interesting. Not sure if they are released yet, but the sales manager was impressed during a test session in Benidorm last year.

·
Premium Member
5,140 Posts
I'll also ask about progress with an electric Karoq or equivalent. The hybrid Superb (my favourite Skoda) and all-electric Citygo should also be interesting. Not sure if they are released yet, but the sales manager was impressed during a test session in Benidorm last year.
Ask him if Skoda will release the figures for how many tonnes of CO2 the electric version is responsible for during manufacture? Compared to the ICE version? Most manufacturers are very tight lipped on that question. Leading to the conclusion that if buyers knew the real answer, sales of EVs would be zero, unlike their emissions?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Saturday April 4th, diesel: 28,000 lts, unleaded: 7,500 lts.
Last saturday, diesel: 145,000 lts, unleaded: 102,000 lts.
Most emergency services vehicles run on diesel, but that is quiet a difference when you consider Wales is still limited compared to England.
And that's 24hrs in 1 filling station.

·
Premium Member
5,140 Posts
Thanks Paul. Perfect answer to my question. And supports the theory based on traffic evidence that folks are already moving around nearly as much as before this started.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Further to this, on Tuesday night SWP roads policing unit (or "traffic" as we all know them) attended 4 serious incidents in Cardiff, including somebody managing to end up on their roof on a well surfaced, well lit dual carriageway with no other vehicles involved

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
RPU around here have reported they clocked one motorbike at OVER 120 on the A470 north of Brecon.
Didn't give chase, but he'll get a visit at home!

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
Thanks Paul. Perfect answer to my question. And supports the theory based on traffic evidence that folks are already moving around nearly as much as before this started.
Considering that Welsh restrictions on travel are not to be lifted until 6th July, that is a shocking fact.

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
RPU around here have reported they clocked one motorbike at OVER 120 on the A470 north of Brecon.
Didn't give chase, but he'll get a visit at home!
As the title of the thread is "Crazy Drivers" I know it is wrong for a motorbike to travel at that speed as is any other vehicle on the road.
But it is easy for a bike to hit that speed in a couple of secs and then reduce down safely, its a far safer road with that happening than some car drivers that brake at every corner and have a back load of traffic behind them.
It just takes the mick when they (bikes)are doing it for miles and miles on the country roads.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts