Yeti Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Yeti 2017 2.0TDi 4x4 L&K DSG
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had four CrossClimate 2's fitted this morning.

I've had the originals before and was a little disappointed with the winter performance as I'm a regular through the peak district in winter.
I opted for Goodyear Vector 4 seasons gen 2 last time for the increased winter performance.

My new Yeti still had it's Primacy 3's fitted (22k Miles) so it was a choice between the CrossClimate 2's and Vector 4 Seasons Gen 3's for me.
Looking at the recent Tyre Reviews video he said the CC 2's have much improved winter performance. I dropped him a message and he said he'd go for the Michelin's.

So now fitted and they do look slightly more aggressive. I'll report back once I've put some miles on.

Automotive tire Light Tread Motor vehicle Tire
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Had four CrossClimate 2's fitted this morning.
So now fitted and they do look slightly more aggressive. I'll report back once I've put some miles on.

View attachment 6346
Please do!! I have been delighted with mine, ever since fitted in May 2018.

Reactions: Robjon

·
Premium Member
Yeti S+ 2010 2.0TDi CFHA 110 2WD Manual
7,242 Posts
Each new version moves to looking more and more like tractor tyres! ;) :D
V-pattern angled "lands". Wider voids or grooves between the tread blocks, etc.
Or is it just the way I'm looking at them? :rolleyes::ROFLMAO::unsure:

Michelin do make some excellent, if expensive, tractor tyres after all? (y)

Are they marked as "Directional"?

Reactions: Fleetfoot

·
Registered
1,387 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Please do!! I have been delighted with mine, ever since fitted in May 2018.
They will be the original CrossClimate's or the slightly tweaked CrossClimate+. I've used both of them before.

The CrossClimate 2's were released in the UK a few months ago and are just available in Yeti 17" sizes. The are supposed to have slightly improved wet/dry grip but much improved winter performance and rolling resistance.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Each new version moves to looking more and more like tractor tyres! ;) :D
V-pattern angled "lands". Wider voids or grooves between the tread blocks, etc.
Or is it just the way I'm looking at them? :rolleyes::ROFLMAO::unsure:

Michelin do make some excellent, if expensive, tractor tyres after all? (y)

Are they marked as "Directional"?
They do look a little more aggressive than the original CrossClimate's and yes are directional

The latest group test.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wonder if the tread pattern will make them noisier.
The EU noise test has them noisier than the original on the drive by test but tyrereviews still listed them amongst the quietest on test.

Smile Sleeve Font T-shirt Event

I've just had an hours run out to Bakewell. On 70mph dual carraigeways they're certainly now noisier than the Primacy 3's. And on poor surfaces they are noticeably quieter which is similar to the original CC's.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I need to replace my CC's and have been hoping that they would last until CC2 came on to the market - well in the UK at least as they are not available through dealerships here in NZ (Apparently the French think that because we are in the "South Pacific" its all swaying palm trees, warm blue seas and no frosts or snow anywhere and so refuse to stock CC's. Consequently I have to import my own at no small cost I might add.) And thanks to Skoda / VW choosing a relatively odd tyre size there are no alternatives available here either. Indeed the same could be said about summer tyres where the available range is quite limited.

The CC2's certainly appear to be an improvement all round performance wise other than noise (CC = 68 dB : CC2 = 73 dB) Unfortunately the vast majority of sealed roads here are of the stone chip variety (i.e. rather than asphalt) and are accordingly inherently noisier than the majority of the surfacings in the UK, bar the awful grooved concrete that graced some motorways for a while. (Are there any left?) To make things more noisy here there has been a more recent propensity to increase the size of the chip. The road controlling authority denies that it is noisier but the simple radio test says otherwise. Without getting into the intricacies of frequencies, if you have to turn the radio up to still hear it then the background noise must have gone up !

Hence I was very interested in logiclee's comment that "On 70mph dual carraigeways they're certainly now noisier than the Primacy 3's. And on poor surfaces they are noticeably quieter which is similar to the original CC's." The former is what I would have anticipated from the EU ratings but the latter was a bit of a (hopeful) surprise. Logiclee could you explain more about your "poor surfaces" comment please. Thanks

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hence I was very interested in logiclee's comment that "On 70mph dual carraigeways they're certainly now noisier than the Primacy 3's. And on poor surfaces they are noticeably quieter which is similar to the original CC's." The former is what I would have anticipated from the EU ratings but the latter was a bit of a (hopeful) surprise. Logiclee could you explain more about your "poor surfaces" comment please. Thanks
Yes.

On smooth tarmac I think the background road noise is probably quieter on the Primacy 3's. But hit stonechip roads, concrete roads or broken tarmac and the Primacy 3's tend to roar. You don't get that with the CC2's. You get the change of frequency but not the increase in sound level.

·
Premium Member
Yeti S+ 2010 2.0TDi CFHA 110 2WD Manual
7,242 Posts
Thanks. Think I'll give them a try. Hope they don't get stuck in the Suez Canal en route!
:D
More likely Panama en-route to NZL from France? I would have guessed? :unsure:

Bigger problem here just now is shortage of containers to ship them in. Caused by two, multi-layered factors.
1) Massive shortage of truck drivers* in UK & throughout Europe, means plenty of non-perishable goods are stuck in containers at ports, awaiting a truck driver to collect them. Which means those containers are not being emptied and returned to the supply chain.
(* Itself caused by combo of Brexit meaning no East European drivers in UK any more, plus historically low pay and bad conditions mean folks don't want the job, plus big tranche of older UK drivers retiring, plus Covid lockdowns meant new recruits were not trained or tested for 18-months. Only 60% of required drivers available, 300,000 short in UK alone. Problem greatest in UK, less so in EU).
2) Covid lockdowns around "Far East" also means large number of containers also stuck in ports, loaded and waiting to be shifted. Result = container log jams.

Offsetting that in the case of tyres is low production of new cars (down below 60% of 2019, lowest global output since 1950s). means more of tyre production capacity is available for after-market customers. Lack of new cars should be good for reduced CO2 outputs globally though. :) Given 50% of an average car's lifetime CO2 is produced during its manufacture (more like 75% for an EV).

With a bit of luck, you may find CCs for NZL market are made in Michelin factories in Canada, India or Thailand? :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
More likely Panama en-route to NZL from France? I would have guessed?
You would think that was the case but after the UK shafted NZ when the former decided to join the EC (as it was then) NZ had to look elsewhere for exports. Hence the majority of NZ trade is now with South East Asia generally and China in particular. The consequence of this is that shipping to and from NZ pretty much all goes either direct to China or through Singapore. Likewise UK/Europe trade to this side of the world goes via Singapore to be trans-shipped at that port.

Bigger problem here just now is shortage of containers to ship them in
Certainly container shortage is an issue here as well. Exporters continually complain that they can't get access to the container volumes they require because they are tied up elsewhere in the world. The situation got so bad recently that it was more profitable for one shipping company, having dropped off its full containers in Auckland, to just pick up a load of empty containers to trans-ship to other desperate transport operators elsewhere in the world! To make matters worse some shipping lines are missing out NZ all together. (More woes for both exporters and importers)

With respect to the shortage of lorry drivers, I'll restrain myself from a diatribe about the inevitable outcome of poor wages and working conditions (Ruari is watching!)

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
What price are you paying for a CC tyre?

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
With respect to the shortage of lorry drivers, I'll restrain myself from a diatribe about the inevitable outcome of poor wages and working conditions (Ruari is watching!)
I doubt these super container ships can get through the existing Panama Canal, hence the need for a second canal.
Empty containers scattered around the world is a foreseeable problem, but who has the nous to see that in time?
Not sore why I am being embroiled into a debate on poor wages and working conditions - but no doubt some clever soul will pop up and explain!!🙃

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Reactions: Dutchman

·
Premium Member
2015 Elegance Greenline II
6,893 Posts
Not sore why I am being embroiled into a debate on poor wages and working conditions - but no doubt some clever soul will pop up and explain!!🙃
Digression? 😁 😁 😁

·
Registered
1,387 Posts

·
Premium Member
2015 Elegance Greenline II
6,893 Posts
Not sure why I am being embroiled into a debate on poor wages and working conditions
Hair Nose Cheek Chin Hand

I'll try again, ""Digression"?

·
Registered
347 Posts
The CC2's certainly appear to be an improvement all round performance wise other than noise (CC = 68 dB : CC2 = 73 dB) Unfortunately the vast majority of sealed roads here are of the stone chip variety (i.e. rather than asphalt) and are accordingly inherently noisier than the majority of the surfacings in the UK, bar the awful grooved concrete that graced some motorways for a while. (Are there any left?)
Yes, some of the south side of the M25 still has the god awful grooved concrete.
Over the years some patches have been tarmaced, so you go from monotints drone, to blissful quite (for a few seconds), back to monotints drone.
As if there weren't enough reasons to hate the M25 in the first place.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts