Yeti Owners Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2ltre 2wd Elegance 2014 I have only covered 42 000 miles but have had to replace all 4 Cv joints ,last one yesterday
Has anyone else had to replace any with such a low mileage.
Previous 2 passats ,a golf and a polo never had to replace any although they all had 75k to 120 k mileages .
Indy Mechanic things its the quality that has declined over the last 10 years or so?

·
Registered
387 Posts
That is a low mileage for cv joints,especially the inners.I had a 1999 VW Passat get to 195,000 on all originals.It does make me think manufacturers are sourcing cheaper parts made from poorer steel,Chinese possibly,in order to keep prices down.Some ball joints and drop links don’t seem to last either these days.

·
Premium Member
2015 Elegance Greenline II
6,777 Posts
Why all 4 and over what period?
Could it be the 4th was the problem all along?
What was the condition of the boots?

·
Premium Member
Yeti S+ 2010 2.0TDi CR110 2WD Manual
7,039 Posts
CV joints are another of those components I would expect to have a reduced life on a "low mileage" car. Particularly those that had achieved that low mileage by either being used exclusively for short distance urban school runs, or been stood around unused for long periods. Such as during lock downs. In the former scenario they are subject to much higher wear and tear, compared to a car that spends much of its time on motorways, clocking up huge mileages. In the latter, the ball joints just get stiff through lack of use, as do the rubber boots. Then fail when they start being used again.

Reactions: Llanigraham

·
Registered
387 Posts
CV joints are another of those components I would expect to have a reduced life on a "low mileage" car. Particularly those that had achieved that low mileage by either being used exclusively for short distance urban school runs, or been stood around unused for long periods. Such as during lock downs. In the former scenario they are subject to much higher wear and tear, compared to a car that spends much of its time on motorways, clocking up huge mileages. In the latter, the ball joints just get stiff through lack of use, as do the rubber boots. Then fail when they start being used again.
That sounds like they would deteriorate by being left in the box on the parts shelf,I would agree a greater wear rate from town use with lots of turns and bumps in road than motorway mileage,however 42,000 is extremely low mileage,even the rubber boots should last 60,000 miles+ I know of some Yeti cv boots now 11 years old and 66,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
Yeti S+ 2010 2.0TDi CR110 2WD Manual
7,039 Posts
I know of some Yeti cv boots now 11 years old and 66,000 miles.
:D (y)

I also know of some other Yeti original CV joints and boots that are 11.5 years old and rapidly approaching 240,000 miles. With no signs of impending problems. :) They get plenty of sympathetic use to keep them exercised and happy.
I've also known standard drive shafts used in rally cars that conform to "standard production car" class component specifications, last as little as 50 miles of off-road, forest track usage. 10-20 miles on grippy tarmac. :(

A further factor in Gresham's case may possibly be how the car has been used? Either by current or previous owner?

A lot of off-road use for example, can accelerate wear on components like driveshafts and suspension bushes. Particularly if that has been over rough ground where maximum suspension articulation is regularly involved. Along with full torque at maximum steering lock or maximum suspension droop angle.

Gresham has told us his car is 2-litre, so presumably diesel. What power and torque version though? Torque has a big impact on driveshafts, literally.

Don't underestimate the impact of the driver either. Hard acceleration on grippy tarmac with near maximum steering lock can dramatically reduce CV joint life.

There are so many variables it is almost impossible to extrapolate one car or driver's experience or durability of components onto another car and driver.

Reactions: Cubes

·
Registered
450 Posts
Absolutely.

Either the car has been driven very hard, the gaiters have been damaged, or the driveshafts were replaced with cheap aftermarket parts at some point in the past.
Any evidence that the car has been in an accident or flood, Gresham?

Regarding aftermarket parts; I am looking at replacing a driveshaft on my Focus within the next six months or so. The cheap ones are very very cheap ... £40 for a complete driveshaft.
The only way they can be profitably sold at that price is by using the cheapest materials to be found, and not bothering to heat treat them.
Needless to say, I will be not be a customer.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mostly country road driving but some towing in the first couple of years ,no gaiter damage,roads often large puddles for may weeks. each time 1 changed fixed typical symptoms
Driving as i always have never had cv changed before this car.
Mechanic is family member with 40 plus years in trade so he knows a thing or two.

·
Premium Member
5,746 Posts
Mechanic is family member with 40 plus years in trade so he knows a thing or two.
And has he kept up with all the changes that have happened in those 40 years?
And does he actually know anything about modern 4 wheel drive systems, as fitted to the Yeti?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes no problem with modern cars and my yeti is 2wd so no problems but he also was land Rover trained VW and Citroen
before having his own small garage!

·
Premium Member
5,746 Posts
Well I'm very suspicious about the need to replace them at that mileage. My first Yeti did well over 100k miles much of it over very poor roads, and were regularly soaked and mud covered, and I never had any problems.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well i must be un lucky as i had the first one diagnosed by the main dealer in case Skoda might pay so not sure what else i could do apart from change the cv

1 - 12 of 12 Posts