Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well boys and girls has any persons yeti's D S G TRANSMISSION. had any unusual shifting patters..?
Our 2011 Betty the Yeti has been going in to sixth gear at 65 kph.Also slow or late changes however these problems are only very random # ?
ALSO WHEN driving off slight shudder in first gear.These are all only very small however don't want them to get worse.
My concern is that we all know about the major problems half a million Chinese built DSG's caused .
I really hope that I'am not hitting the panic button-However we've all seen the articles on early DSG PROBLEMS#*#*#*

Today's. Temp.34 c. Downunder

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
PUG said:
My concern is that we all know about the major problems half a million Chinese built DSG's caused .
No.
Please enlighten us?

·
Registered
51 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Had problems with my Golf 1.4 dsg Match doing similar things - juddering when setting off on a regular basis. Of course VW reckon there is no problem with it, and it must be my style of driving that's at fault (the fact that it is now doing it all the time - even when my wife is driving the car, is just co incidence!!! I am changing for a Yeti 1.2 dsg elegance in September - I hope I am not jumping from the frying pan into the proverbial.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Its not unknown for the DSG box to go wrong.If you haven't already search for DSG Mechatronics
There are a lot of horror stories out there (there always is) but don't get too worried, its generally a reliable system.

I have read the DSG unit can be recalibrated too (they do this when the box is serviced at 40k oil change) that may fix juddering and strange shifting...

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Llanigraham said:
No.
Please enlighten us?
From a press release:

Volkswagen recalls over 384,000 cars in China: watchdog

SHANGHAI (Reuters) - Volkswagen AG, which sells more cars in China than any other foreign firm, will recall 384,181 vehicles there to fix a long-standing gearbox problem, China's quality watchdog said on Wednesday.The recall, which will start on April 2, covers some Passat, Sagitar, Golf, Touran and other models made at Volkswagen's China ventures as well as some imported models, including an unspecified number of Audi A3 cars built between February 2010 and June 2011, the General Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine of China said in a statement on its website.Volkswagen confirmed the recall in an emailed statement.The recall comes after the German automaker was named in state-run China Central Television's annual investigative special on corporate malpractice aired on Friday.The TV show, one of the most widely watched in China, said the direct shift gearbox (DSG) transmission, a long-standing issue for Volkswagen, was causing cars to speed up or slow down during driving."In isolated cases, an electronic malfunction in the control unit or a lack of oil pressure inside the gearbox mechatronics may result in a power interruption," Volkswagen said in its statement. "The most important vehicle systems, such as steering and braking, along with other relevant systems will not be affected", it said.VW, which makes cars in China in partnership with SAIC Motor Corp Ltd and FAW Group, sold 2.81 million cars in the country last year. It plans to almost double production capacity in the country to 4 million in the next five years.(Reporting by Samuel Shen and Kazunori Takada; Additional reporting by Fang Yan in BEIJING; Editing by Daniel Magnowski)

·
Registered
260 Posts
We have DSGs in both our cars. The 2008 VW GTi has 110,000 kms on it , and has only stopped once in 5 years of ownership. The first week we had it it wouldn't start one morning due to a faulty fuel sensor, and that's it!
We have just completed an urgent 2 day, return trip to Sydney (1200 kms) in the Yeti and it was solid as a rock.
Our Yeti goes into 6th at 65kmh, but if you put your foot down it will downshift, it doesn't feel laboured at all. If you are accelerating it will hold on to gears as needed
The Golf used to surprise me how quickly it short-shifted to top gear when we first got it (easily 60-65 kmh). It turned out OK, so I have just put it down to the characteristics of a turbocharged 4 cylinder, with lots of low down torque.
Rob.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
I've done a bit of a look around and from what I can see, the transmissions affected by the recalls seem to be the 6 speed M model type DSG's, ie MMJ fitted to the Yeti from 05/10-11/10 and MUA from 11/10-05/11. You can find your DSG model type printed in the service book on the sticker with the VIN, PR codes and paint number. Although I think the Chinese recall MAY have been concerned with the 7 speed. Not sure on that one.
Oh, and the 7 speed DSG goes into 7th gear at 58kph. So, you drive in most built up areas in top gear with occasional downshifts to 6th in 50kph zones. I couldn't beleive it when I first drove the vehicle, I thought it was malfunctioning, but it's normal.

Edited by: plbxr

·
Registered
730 Posts
Thanks for the info you guys, the Golf seems to judder each time I set off now. I am going to call back at Sintners Leeds again and let them try it for yet another day. I am loathe to spend time sorting it out with VW, especially as I am trading it for the Yeti, but it seams unfair to leave a problem or the next owner, when it is still under the manufacturers warranty till the end of September.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
paulthepedant, I think you have a genuine warranty issue/repair there. Good luck and please give us some feedback on how things go.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
adobedon said:
just had a total loss of power on the M40 a around 80 for around 10 seconds.
Not good
I will tell my dealer and if not sorted the yeti will be going.
This is a separate issue to the DSG problem, but is related to the injectors malfunctioning. It is thought that it MAY be related to the death of one person in an accident.....by a sudden loss of power at highway speeds. It is a warranty issue involving replacement of the diesel injectors.
See the earlier post by Aussiejim for the reference to the article.

·
Registered
90 Posts
many thanks plbxr. it worries you when you take something for granted such as blasting down the motorway at a reasonable speed only to find a dickhead doing 65 in the third lane and refuses to move out of it.
its these #ankers that cause accidents. they should be banned from breathing. ha ha

·
Registered
51 Posts
It is interesting to hear the various views from around the globe in response to my earlier post, thanks. This DSG issue is now getting significant publicity here in parts of Australia and for the first time I have seen Skoda vehicles nominated as being part of the mix. The media has been particularly critical of the VW group in Australia not being prepared to provide any detailed responses or advice about recalls. A recent article in the Melbourne, Australia press is here:
http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-news/volkswagen-remains-quiet-on-recalls-fixes-20130605-2np8x.html

As the Yeti is relatively new here this adverse publicity will not help brand awareness, product confidence or sales, unless there is some positive action taken to rectify any identified fault, or to clarify that the issue is isolated to some production runs. In the meantime owners could rightly feel a bit nervous.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I actually think there is an ulterior motive in some of the motoring press reports re; DSG.
If you google "DSG problems" you will find forums going back to 2010 talking about this.
Maybe VW needs to address a few issues, all car makes have problems, and , I've had a couple of cars with doozies!
Where was the unrelenting bad press about the Nissan 3.0 diesel?
4WD Action magazine said, "Perhaps the most unreliable engine ever fitted to a modern 4WD, the 3.0L is simply not suited to a vehicle so large, and ultimately has tarnished the reputation of this otherwise legendary off-roader", also where was the follow up re. the balljoints and rust problems of the Ford Territory?
VW Watercooled.org.au has lots of people praising the operation of their DSG cars.
This was posted by "George" on VWWatercooled.org.au and kind of mirrors what I think;
"It really boils down to this point, if you want an auto, choose DSG, if you want a manual, choose a manual. Having said that, be prepared for the DSG not to behave like a conventional auto because it is a very sophisticated computer controlled manual gearbox with no torque converter and that is the main reason it feels so different".
My 2 cents worth, Rob.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Rob, I would largely agree with what you say. A lot of makers have had serious problems and recalls lately, but unfortunately I think VW have stuck their heads in the sand and treated their customers like idiots about the whole thing. This has only stirred things up and the press see a chance to pounce. Possibly a bit of tall poppy syndrome too I think.
If VW said "We are listening to our customers and attempting to address any shortcomings" then their customers, ie us, would be a lot happier and the bad press would probably go away. Unfortunately, the recent problems...and there appears to be two separate issues going on at the same time....possibly involves a death and the press are looking for a cover-up. I see on the news tonight that the ACCC are threatening to force VW Australia to do a recall (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-06-06/volkswagen-recall-powers/4737772). This sort of news certainly has the media's attention. The common denominator in all the stories are the words "...the death of a Melbourne woman...". There's nothing like a death story to get the press interested, and lets face it, they aren't all that concerned about letting the truth get in the road of a good story.
There seems to be an issue with DSG's shuddering again, and a separate issue involving a possible electrical fault with diesel injectors that causes them to shut off at highway speeds with many people reporting in other forums that their injectors were replaced after reporting a problem.
Let's not forget though that the 6 speed DSG is a first generation design and there will be issues that will be corrected down the track. Even the 7 speed is only a second generation it and has had problems due to design issues. People may not be aware that there have been some huge design changes (starting with the model types that start with an N) with the 6 and 7 speed DSG's. So, developmental work is ongoing with the DSG gearbox even though it is in full production. Get a copy of ELSAWIN or ETKA and you can see for yourselves how much thay have been updated and changed.
I would hope that Skoda would listen to their Aussie customers to try and avoid losing any market share but I suspect that Big Daddy VW probably has them by the short and curley's and is probably threatening to squeeze tight if they don't follow the corporate line. Just my opinion anyway.

·
Registered
260 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Volkswagen Australia have now issued a recall for approx. 26,000 Volkswagen vehicles made between June 2008 and September 2011. This recall will target VW vehicles with the seven speed DQ200 DSG transmission and VW have indicated that they would inspect and replace the mechatronics unit in the DSG at no charge. There is no mention at this stage about Skoda vehicles. See an article and many following comments from dissatisfied VW owners at :

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-news/outcry-on-safety-forces-vw-recall-20130611-2o28i.html

It is also mentioned in this article that: "It is not yet clear whether the recall will
address all issues related to the DSG, which is the automatic transmission in
late-model Volkswagens. One symptom of a faulty DSG was a sudden deceleration
while driving. Some motorists have also reported shuddering in the vehicles."

Edited by: Aussiejim

1 - 20 of 38 Posts