Yeti Owners Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Yeti Greenline Elegance, 1.6TDi
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Having searched the forum I’ve been unable to find anything that addresses my problem. I have a 2014 plate Skoda Yeti Greenline 1.6TDi Exclusive fitted with an Amundsen Radio/Sat Nav. Recently I’ve been finding that the DAB reception has been dropping out a lot more than usual, this tends to be intermittent with no real pattern to it. The radio is set to default to the equivalent FM signal if there is one and this is what has been happening. I’ve had the radio out to look at the connections and cabling at the back but can see no obvious problems. When I long press the settings button in radio mode I pull up the service menu, this consists of 4 sub menus: FM Monitor, AM Monitor, DAB Monitor and Versions. When selecting the FM and AM Monitors they both show Ant 1 on, however the DAB Monitor shows Ant 1 off but with a strong signal (green bar) and GOOD in the right hand top corner. Not sure where to look now, replacing the antennae base is an expensive option and it might not be that, as is replacing the head unit. I’ve read on this forum that there are 2 antennae’s for the DAB with one situated in the rear screen heater element. There is no mention of a second antennae in the service menu. Was wondering if there is a pre amp somewhere for the DAB which may be faulty causing it to show no antennae but still giving a strong signal? Clutching at straws here but has anyone any ideas? I’ve even tried rebooting the radio by removing the fuse and leaving it for 10 minutes but still no luck. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2015 Elegance Greenline II
7,023 Posts
Recently I’ve been finding that the DAB reception has been dropping out a lot more than usual
Could it be problems with the transmitter?
Have you tried deleting your saved DAB stations and reinstalling them from the DAB station list?

Reactions: Flintstone

·
Premium Member
Yeti Outdoor 2017 SE L 2.0TDi 150 4x4 Manual
7,449 Posts
Could it be problems with the transmitter?
Muttontop - Whereabouts in the country do you live?

If anywhere in the North Yorkshire or South Durham areas, then DAB radio has been almost non-existent since the transmitter fire at the Bilsdale site in summer 2021. Besides terrestrial TV stations, Bilsdale was also used to transmit DAB radio. Although TV has been restored to most areas by the emergency construction of multiple, short range, temporary transmitters, DAB is a low priority and may remain absent for the next 2-3 years, until Bilsdale can be completely re-built.

FM remains strong though, as you have mentioned. Different transmitters?

If Cradley, West Midlands, has DAB reception ever been strong there? Are there transmitter issues nearby also?

My own view is that DAB over the air has become something of a dead-end technology. The original reasons for its introduction have all gone away. (E.G. To release FM frequencies for other purposes such as mobile phones, emergency services, etc. As those uses have moved on, so no longer need the frequency ranges used by FM.) For domestic / fixed location purposes, Internet radio and wifi have taken over as the transmission method of choice for most users (e.g. Amazon Alexa and similar devices). For mobile applications such as cars, FM seems set to continue ad-infinitum. Not least because its consistency of signal strength and therefore reception quality is far superior in more remote locations that DAB was ever able to reach. Plus it is a huge factor cheaper for providers to utilise. (Far fewer transmitters needed, etc.) How long before we see DAB itself phased out? Controversial theory I admit. o_O:eek::oops: And I have no references to back it up. Other than my own experience with DAB both at home and in-car, plus the knowledge that DAB is low-priority at Bilsdale. I'll now step back and wait for my theory to be shot down in flames?

Reactions: Robjon

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi
Thanks for your replies, I've tried retuning the DAB, I get a list of stations (all BBC, most national (notable exception is Planet Rock!!!) and most local but there is the crossed out antenna sign against all of them. However, when I set my preselects again they appear as DAB stations and in fact if I select them they will play for a varying length of time in DAB mode until switching (where available) to the FM channel. I live just west of Worcester on the Hereford/Worcester border, I've had no previous issues with DAB reception up until a couple of weeks ago (even got Planet Rock).
If anyone could shed any light on the DAB set up from Antennae to radio it might JUST shed some light on the potential cause of the problem. I just can't understand if the system is telling me that the DAB antennae is off (and there appears to be no way to turn it on) how is it receiving information on the DAB stations to be able to list them and is able to play on DAB for varying lengths of time? I'm a very confused Yeti owner!!!!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hi there, I suffered a very similar issue which was tracked down to a part of the aerial which is at the base of the aerial but is actually mounted inside the car, the rear section of headlining had to be removed for access to swap it out, my local agent did an investigation of some sort & the issue showed up as a fault code. Hope this helps, cheers Magic.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Magic
Any idea of what he swapped out? I had an initial look at the base of the aerial (I carefully lowered a section of the roof lining but didn't remove it) and all I could see was the mounting screw for the antennae with 3 wires comiing out, couldn't see anything else. Was it an expensive fix?
Cheers

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hi Muttontop, I never saw what was replaced but it cost over £100, the radio worked o.k. afterwards but, & I never noticed till sometime later, the traffic update page was saying it was turned off so no updates available, I could never find out how to turn it back on so I assume it was related to the aerial fix & some form of re-coding the system, Cheers food for thought ey.

·
Premium Member
Yeti Outdoor 2017 SE L 2.0TDi 150 4x4 Manual
7,449 Posts
Have you checked if your local transmitter is actually transmitting consistently?

Reactions: macmusic

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Flintstone, Just checked using my DAB radio in the house, all DAB channels loud and clear (including Planet Rock) so I don't think there is a problem with transmission. Do need to find out the circuit diagram for the DAB set up to see what it actually consists of.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks Snowgood, although that is for a 2015 Yeti, mine is a 2014, not sure if there are any diffences although the part quoted for the base on there is the same part number quoted for my Yeti by the local dealer. Interesting in that at the back of my radio I have 4 cables coming out, one at the top of the unit and 3 at the bottom. I appear to have lost the sticker off the top of the unit detailing which cable does what but I'm guessing that the top one is for the telephone whilst the single one at the bottom is for the sat nav and the double one at the bottom are aerial cables. I only appear to have 3 cables coming from the aerial base though. Looking at the diagram you sent there appear to be 4 cables going to the aerial base not quite sure how this works. Still unsure whether or not the impedance convertor for the screen aerial is for DAB or the AM/FM channels. It seems that the more information I get the more confused I become!!! As stated in my original post in the service menu only 1 arerial is identified within each configuration, set to ON for AM/FM but OFF for DAB although I'm still getting intermittent DAB reception even with it OFF. Anyone able to shed any further light on this issue for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts