Yeti Owners Club banner

Diesel Additive

4K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  The Hood 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I just want to let any owners running diesels about 'Millers Ecomax fuel additive' which i have been using for the last few weeks.There is quite a lot on the web about this stuff and being curious i thought i would give it a go and at £12.99 it doesn't break the bank.I have a 110 Bhp 2 wheel drive with 11,000 miles driven so far all trouble free.I have been getting on average up until using the additive 54/56 to the gallon but over the last few hundred miles i have seen 63/66 to the gallon.I am a steady driver by nature and careful with my right foot but can say for sure that it does what it says on the tin ;i got mine from a local supplier bt i know you can buy it from Halfords.Give it a go over a couple of tanks and feel the difference.

#2 ·
I'm new to diesel engines and have not heard of this before. I had a look on honest John's plus Halfords and Amazon product reviews, and it seems quite popular. I did not find any warnings or uncertanties about using it elsewhere,so I have ordered a bottle from Amazon.

#3 ·
YETIMAN said:
Hi all,

I just want to let any owners running diesels about 'Millers Ecomax fuel additive' which i have been using for the last few weeks.There is quite a lot on the web about this stuff and being curious i thought i would give it a go and at £12.99 it doesn't break the bank.I have a 110 Bhp 2 wheel drive with 11,000 miles driven so far all trouble free.I have been getting on average up until using the additive 54/56 to the gallon but over the last few hundred miles i have seen 63/66 to the gallon.I am a steady driver by nature and careful with my right foot but can say for sure that it does what it says on the tin ;i got mine from a local supplier bt i know you can buy it from Halfords.Give it a go over a couple of tanks and feel the difference.

Hi welcome to the forum and being the 100th member

#4 ·
Hi,

Forgot to mention that the 500 ml bottle you get is enough for 10 x 50 ml shots so it will go a long way and i also find the pick up is smoother.There is also a version for petrol engines but i have no experience of this but should imagine similar benefits would be experienced.

#7 ·
I am strugling to understand how a 50ml shot in a 50 litre tank (0.001%) can increase efficiency or power by any amount that the driver would actually notice.
Particularly on a newish car and by over 10%.

It can't be effecting the Cetane rating of the diesel by a noticable amount, so is not giving any more power.

Confused.
Placeebo effect?

Edited by: BossFox

#8 ·
BossFox said:
I am strugling to understand how a 50ml shot in a 50 litre tank (0.001%) can increase efficiency or power by any amount that the driver would actually notice.
Particularly on a newish car and by over 10%.

It can't be effecting the Cetane rating of the diesel by a noticable amount, so is not giving any more power.

Confused.
Placeebo effect?
Exactly my thoughts, but then lots of people buy Snake Oil.

#9 ·
My thoughts entirely, I did not expect much if any change but thought I would give it a try. I should imagine that if it does indeed give any improvement it is probably down to it cleaning the fuel system of an older or gummed up car.Even so if my car was older and "gummed up" I would not like to use it for too long as it may prove corrosive. I think that quite often any improvement is down to the user changing their driving technique without realising that they have done so.

#10 ·
Cetane ratings in diesel are just like the octane ratings in petrol, the higher the rating number, the smoother the burn rate. Unlike petrol engines, you cannot recognise the "pinking" noise in a diesel, if you could, you would notice how much quieter the engine runs on premium fuel.
I personally use both STD and premium fuels, for instance Shell V-power, BP Ultimate as these have a cetane rating of approx 55-56 compared to that of 51 for STD diesel, but the rating is uniform across every molecule and not relying on mixing an additive in the tank.
Although the cost is more, the result is better as the sulphur levels are also lower in premium fuel and it is in no way harmful to modern diesels.
To offset the cost increase use it every other fill as I do

#12 ·
HiYes and no, the old Redex used to say it cleaned your engine and restored engine power without increasing the octane or cetane rating.
If you're not very young like me, you may have even tried the old Redex"power in an hour" whereby you put a small amount in through a spark plug hole and left it to soak,it then theoretically disolved the carbon on your pistons and rings. Whilst the Redex in the fuel cleaned the rest of the fuel system.In theory clean pistons and rings improved compression and the clean fuel system improved combustion and performance.
The millers product claims to improve combustion by acting as an addative within the fuel as well as being a cleaner. Some previous posters said it increased the cetane level of the diesel, but such a small amount would have to be extremely potent to make any difference.
Millers claim "Increases power and mpg, reduces emissions, cleans injectors fast, and adds up
to 5 Cetane numbers".
It may clean a gummed up system but made no difference to my car at all.MPG was unaffected.

#13 ·
In the days of the Redex shot with your petrol, we used to obtain the same result by removing the air filter lid and trickle used brake fluid directly into the carb, the engine would pink and smoke and if it started to stall you just revved it a bit harder.
This method was known in the trade as a liquid decoke and after the smoke cleared you took the motor for a spin, and boy what a difference.
The fluid was free, as it would have been thrown away, and this method would have removed any loose carbon deposits and lubed the valve stems and rings.
Customers would often comment on how well their cars ran after this was done.

#15 ·
The Hood said:
was it a dodgey practice or were you pioneers of re-cycling
We were ment to use Redex or the equivalent, but we found brake fluid to be about the same viscosity, so it became the norm at no cost to the customers, plus it smelt great whilst smoking out the workshop and as far as I know it wasn't carcinogenic either, well I'm still here after 50 years in the motor trade.

#17 ·
Xrat said:
You'll be telling us you used an airline to clean the dust out of brake drums next.

Wasn't that what apprentices were for?
Yes, you are correct, I was an apprentice once for VW - Mercedes, so I did my share, but later I did HGV brakes as well not knowing what the results could have been.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.