Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
42 mile cross country trip all below applying speed limits taking 1 hr 10 minutes.
!. My passenger took the pic!!
2. We are 'bubbled!
1.5TSi DSG Karoq Sportline 2020. 2,800 miles.

Reactions: Jimmy

·
Registered
442 Posts
Das ist sehr gut!, but you have a long way to catch up. A few weeks after this photo was taken, I managed 72.4mpg on a 40 mile journey, but don’t have any proof of that.

1604920443139.jpg

·
Registered
364 Posts
I gather that modern on board computers are pretty accurate these days, and can even be calibrated by the owner. I don't think I've checked our consumption since lockdown as we haven't been further than 20-30 miles usually, apart from a couple of longer trips of 50-60 mile motorway trips to give it a bit of a blow-through. When I do want to check I use 'brim full to brim full'.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Apart from my bit of childish one upmanship, I’m actually recording just under 51mpg on the overall long term reading, which would include that of the previous owner.

Normally I get a reading of 54-56 mpg but there are very few hold ups around here and hills and night driving do make a big difference. That has been roughly borne out by tank to tank measurements, although even they can’t be 100% accurate, I presume? For the first 5 miles of a journey I get a frightening
36mpg, so I can see why many are getting worse figures on short journeys.

I wasn’t aware that you can calibrate the system though. I wonder how you could do that with any form of accuracy?

·
Administrator
14,604 Posts
I have averaged 52 mpg over 104,000 miles, and that is in an area with considerably more traffic when making local trips. Horses for courses, when I make a long trip a range of approaching 700 miles is very useful.

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
The maxidot is about 10% optimistic when I checked fuel consumption on 3 different Yetis. So if it says 44mpg you are actually getting about 40. Useful guide though.

Reactions: Flintstone

·
Premium Member
5,875 Posts
I’m actually recording just under 51mpg on the overall long term reading, which would include that of the previous owner.
That is reset automatically after about 100 hours of driving or about 6200 miles.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Recalibration of the reported fuel consumption was something I read a bit about when we first bought a BMW 5 Series 525d. It's not something I experimented with, as I was amazed at just how frugal it was for a heavy car with a 3L engine. There's a 'hidden menu' on many BMW models, but you can possibly do the same via one of the obd2 apps.

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Well I did 2 hospital runs today, Llanidloes - Machynlleth - Aberystwyth - Machynlleth - Llanidleos - Montgomery - Shrewsbury - Montgomery - Llanidloes (174 miles) and averaged 67mpg!!

·
Premium Member
5,875 Posts
Recalibration of the reported fuel consumption was something I read a bit about when we first bought a BMW 5 Series 525d. It's not something I experimented with, as I was amazed at just how frugal it was for a heavy car with a 3L engine. There's a 'hidden menu' on many BMW models, but you can possibly do the same via one of the obd2 apps.
From that other site on Octavia MK3 but probably same on Yeti with VCDS.
"""1 - Module 17 - Code Box instruments- (25327)
2 - Adaptation
3 - Select- Correc.del indic.de consumption / combustion scope - Options: (100%)
4 - Change value. Default 100%
5 - The adjustment allows increments of 1%, maximum and minimum values are 85 (%) and 115 (%)."""

Reactions: Pidgeonpost

·
Registered
442 Posts
You would have to calculate your fuel usage over a large number of tankfuls (as I know a few of you do) to come up with an accurate figure, but can you assume the odometer is accurate? Even with a digital calculation of wheel rotation; as the tyres wear down, the overestimation of distance increases. So my question is; how can you accurately calculate the real mpg?

Personally, I am not bothered what the actual consumption is. The system is a great comparative tool to improve your driving style. Well it has been for me in any case.

·
Premium Member
5,875 Posts
Even with a digital calculation of wheel rotation; as the tyres wear down, the overestimation of distance increases.
The speedo is up to 10% out but the odometer is surprisingly accurate.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Just as a matter of interest, I calculated what the % difference would be on a 225/50/R17 Pirelli Cinturato P7 if it would wear down from new to 5mm tread depth.

It came out as a shade over 1.5%. Less than I had imagined.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All of you apart from Graham are driving oilers. (apples & pears)
Mine is PETROL !
I'd like to hear any other petrol owners that can achieve over 50mpg

Reactions: Llanigraham

·
Registered
442 Posts
Your title brought diesels into the argument. I think I did make the comment that yours was a very good result (albeit in German) and that by inference petrol engines were still a long way behind diesels in the fuel economy stakes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
All of you apart from Graham are driving oilers. (apples & pears)
Mine is PETROL !
I'd like to hear any other petrol owners that can achieve over 50mpg
Best I have ever managed was 48 on a return trip to Cardiff nearly all motorway & early morning journeys (no hold ups)

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
On a 100 mile trip from the satnav, my odometer was only 0.1m out. Hence the trip recording is virtually spot on. The speedo is optimistic for safety and legal reasons as it can't record less than the true speed.

Reactions: Flintstone

·
Registered
442 Posts
I do believe that the odometer is accurate. As I understand the principles of how satnav works, not to believe that system is accurate is akin to being a member of the flat earth society. However.... I do a lot of hill walking and in a club I used to walk with, three of the members had identical and very expensive models of gps. Frequently on walks of around 10 miles those three instruments never agreed on the distance we had walked and on occasions there could be a mile and a half difference between the highest and lowest outputs.

The operating conditions in a car are more benign agreed. Less overhead tree cover and small movements in direction, but all three of these people had walked an identical route. This happened on several occasions.....interesting?

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The point I was trying to make was that petrol is closing on derv in the consumption stakes and if you take 6ppl (in my area) increase in price derv over petrol it closes the gap even more.

·
Premium Member
4,218 Posts
I believe satnavs/gps are only accurate on the flat, which the majority of roads are, unlike hill climbs. My sister in law has also told me that colleagues who are keen walkers say that apps which determine steps and distance read about twice the true value.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts