Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

We just bought a new Yeti, the base model 77TSI FWD here in Australia.

It turns out that Skoda Australia don't fit the instrument dimmer control on this model, yet no one knew this - dealer, dealer's service department, even Skoda Australia customer service person. Everyone thought it was on all models. So now officially they say it is not on this model but is on all the others. Needless to say I am lodging a formal complaint, since it isn't even in their brochure.

But the question I have is - is it possible to just order the control and plug it in and will it work? It seems to me that it might be likely that all the wiring is there, just they install a different facia control with just the headlight level dial and not with the thumbwheel for brightness. Does anyone know if that is the case?

Thanks,

Wayne

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Mine is the same. Just range adjustment no cluster dimmer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't imagine the wiring and the rest is any different, as the the differing components and associated costs would outweigh the savings in leaving the control off. So I suspect that the control is just different but the rest is the same and all cars have the capability. Of course I could be wrong but I'm hoping someone out there can confirm one way or another

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
The wiring is in sub-sets so what appears on other models may not be the same for yours as they can chop and change for different models. If you can get it to work with an updated 2-way switch please let us know.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
I forgot to mention earlier that the Yeti uses CANBUS electrics. If you play around with that then you may really muck things up big time unless you really know what your doing. The instrument cluster is an expensive item to have to replace. The warning there is if you start changing things, then you do so at your own peril.

Edited by: plbxr

·
Registered
43 Posts
aho! Canbus is very tricky for the non-pro. still, I have the same problem: only range adjustment, no dimmer... so, if some supersafe electrofreak on this forum can resolve this one? I would be very thankfull...

·
Administrator
13,116 Posts
It may well be that the required wiring is not there, for example there is only one working rear fog light. Both sides have bulbs and reflectors but the side that does not light up has less strands from the loom to the unit.

·
Premium Member
1,325 Posts
I don't usually become involved in such technical conversation, but what's the big deal with a dimmer? Seems a lot of risk for a more romantic environment in the lovely yeti....

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
That is what I was thinking...it's only a dashboard dimmer, but anyhow I was just trying to help him. We all know how eager we get about our Yeti's. At $21,990 drive away for a 6 speed manual then you can't expect to get all the bells and whistles.

The only way that MAY work would be to change the lighting profile using VCDS, however that would be unknown territory for me and I would feel uncomfortable about changing it
. Activating something small such as needle sweep (
) is one thing, but changing a lighting profile is a whole new kettle-of-fish. A retrofitted dimmer switch is not something that you could hide from the service guys either, so the warranty may be forfeited. A BIG price to pay.

It isn't simple anymore:
uploads/467/CAN-Bus_English.pdf

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's not a matter of just looks but safety. When you drive at night on unlit country roads you usually need to turn the instrument lighting way down so that the glare doesn't interfere with your ability to see at the periphery of your vision and out to the edge that the headlights are illuminating. I don't care about the appearance of the dash or the car, but basic safety issues.

The related issue is that no where does Skoda Australia disclose this so you can make an informed choice before purchase.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
O.K. wcosshall, I understand now. What part of Oz are you in? Sounds like you might be in the bush. If you're ever near the Central Coast in NSW and want some changes made using VCDS then I am prepared to help you, it's just that some "big" changes may have unknown side effects so it may be a case of try it and see.

The offer also goes for other Aussie Yeti owners.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
suzz, would you mind having a look at your Yeti and seeing what you have fitted to your up-spec 112TSI? It is on the left of the headlight switch and will either have 2 rollers (dimmer and angle) or just one (angle) roller. If you have two rollers then there may be a chance of solving this problem.
That's provided you don't have the optional Bi-xenon headlights with the washers fitted.
Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the offer, it is very generous. I'm down in Melbourne but we do a fair bit of country driving.

From my researches it seems that the dimmer will connect on the CAN-bus and if that is so then the headlight leveller will be too, so I also think replacing the unit should work, though it might need the ability to be enabled through the VCDS, as it seems you can do with things like the arrive home lights on delay, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
If there is a two-way switch fitted to another Oz model, such as suzz' 112TSI model, than you could pick one up through Spare Parts. It will be original and will fit the dash perfectly, but it won't be cheap. You will also have the only 77TSI in Australia with a dimmer switch
. BIG exclusivity and bragging points there

VCDS is quite handy. I have:
Turned on Instrument Gauge cluster staging ie needle sweep
Activated coming home lights and have variable time settings through the MFD.
Activated emergency brake light flashing with emergency hazard light activation.
Altered the comfort turn signal count (change lane flasher) to 4 flashes.
Enabled tear drop wiping on both front and rear wipers.
Extended the active time for the side mirror and rear window heaters.
Activated windows up after car is turned off and doors opened.

You can also do things like activate tyre pressure monitoring without the reset button, change to VARIABLE service intervals and adjust brake assist, amongst other less legal
, warranty breaking
, and Insurance unfriendly things

My wife and I have an invitation to visit a friend and her family at Carrum Downs in January so things may work out. We will see. I will keep looking too and see what info I can find, if any. I love a Yeti challenge.

·
Premium Member
1,325 Posts
Happily I appear to have two rollers (which I didn't know their function) and I have no idea if I have bi-xenon lights but I haven't seen any headlight washers lol

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Thanks suzz, you have saved the day. wcosshall just needs to get a new switch for a 112TSI model from the spares dept and he might get the instrument dimming function to work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks guys so much for the help. I'm getting the windscreen replaced under warrantee next week (orange peel effect on part of the windscreen) and I'll organise the part and maybe get them to install it (the salesman already suggested this might be an option but didn't know about CANbus, of course, so wasn't sure if it would work.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts