Yeti Owners Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Yeti S 1.2TSI
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As above really. Out few days ago, the Mrs driving (her first go in the Yeti) and I was in the back with the new pup making sure if he threw up it wasn't going anywhere apart from on his own blanket. Anyhoo, the mrs opened the drivers window a bit and that horrible buffeting you get in some cars started. In my old Golf, cracking a rear window open a touch cured it but no such luck with the Yeti.
Will the deflectors help?

And just for dog lovers, the monster! (the reason I changed the car to the Yeti) ...

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Fawn Companion dog

·
Premium Member
2015 Elegance Greenline II
6,776 Posts
We get buffeting if only a rear window is open but not noticed it with the front. We have Climair wind deflectors fitted.

Reactions: grumpyoldgit

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've got wind deflectors fitted, but buffeting is still present unless only diagonally opposite windows are opened. Just the same without the deflectors.

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
I had it in Golf and also the Yeti, i find that (not always an option) if you open all the windows fully down it does not happen.

·
Registered
2014 Yeti S 1.2TSI
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you gents, much appreciated, looks like I am going to have to go out and 'learn' the idiosyncrasies of Yeti wind noises! :giggle:

·
Premium Member
5,746 Posts
Wind reflectors or not, the buffeting is caused by an increase in air entering the space and not being able to escape so the answer is to provide that route, and the best way is to open an opposite rear window.

·
Registered
2014 Yeti 2.0CR TDI L&K Rosso Red
20 Posts
Helmholtz resonance. A phenomenon caused by air moving over the opening of a cavity, as @Llanigraham mentions. Like blowing over a bottle to cause it to whistle. The air inside the cavity acts like a spring and pressure oscillations occur.
By opening another window, the spring effect is cancelled. Deflectors shouldn't change the physics, only how far open the window needs to be before it starts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts