Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Yeti SE TDi Cr 110. 2012 in Black
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve started getting the DPF light coming up more frequently on my 2012 110 with (95k on the clock) which has got me thinking are active regens actually taking place? I’ve never been aware of one happening. Tend to do shorter journeys about 12 miles a day with occasional long drives.

So, plugging Carista OBD in shows the soot level at only 10-15g saying regen shouldn’t be necessary BUT the dash warning is on. I use Millers every fill and put a can of Archoil in 4000 miles ago when I got the car. Any thoughts please as I’m ending up doing more miles on Italian tune ups than commuting to work !

·
Premium Member
Yeti S+ 2010 2.0TDi CR110 2WD Manual
6,656 Posts
Does Carista not show actual fault codes that give rise to a dashboard light being illuminated? Any individual light can be lit by multiple different codes.

Uncleared or recurring faults can be a reason why the active regen process does not get initiated.

Does Carista show a % full figure in the same way that VAG DPF does?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No Ecu fault codes being displayed at all on OBD. Just the DPFwarning on the dash. Yes, Carista gives you the weight sorry, not a percentage of soot in the DPF. It’s under 20g which shouldn’t really require a regen. I do normally find though a fast blast will clear the light but as I said I’m not aware of active regens occuring.

·
Administrator
15,576 Posts
Does Carista show the oil ash content? The dpf burns off soot but not the oil ash. If it does show I have done a few more miles than you and my oil ash is 0.02.
Do you know if the car has had the emissions fix? If you put your vin number into the link below you can check, if it says you need the "fix" it has not been done, if it says you do not need it the deed has already been done.
The second link tells you more about the fix and the trust building exercise. I am NOT suggesting you should have it done.

Software Issue Diesel Engines EA189 (skoda-auto.com)

EA189 Service Action | ŠKODA Diesel Cars | ŠKODA UK (skoda.co.uk)

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
From memory, the DPF is 'full' when the ash weighs 79 grams.

Reactions: Lymeswold

·
Premium Member
6,656 Posts
No Ecu fault codes being displayed at all on OBD. Just the DPF warning on the dash.
That’s very odd? If there are no fault codes in background, what could be causing the dash light to be illuminated?

What The Hood said is also good. Oil Ash is the residue, mainly phosphorous and sulphur compounds from the oil, that can’t be burned off during a regen. Our Yeti is currently on 23% (0.23). No coincidence I think, that is the figure that the %full figure shown by VAG DPF gets down to, when the DPF gets chance to complete a full, active regen.

There are two "Soot" figures given by VAG DPF, "Calculated Soot Mass" and "Actual Soot Mass". Both in g. In addition to the %full and a number of other readings such as post combustion fuel injection rate, time and distance since last regen, exhaust temperature, etc. The actual soot mass figure often being considerably lower than the calculated. I've regularly seen the actual figure as negative, immediately after a regen has completed. I wonder if Carista may be showing one or either of those figures as its soot level?

One of the other figures displayed shows the rate of soot deposition or burn. During regular driving that is often between +1 to +70mg/min. On longer motorway trips (say over 20 miles), when the exhaust gas gets high enough (circa >300-350 degrees C) for long enough, such as when climbing inclines or maintaining the speed limit fully loaded on level ground, it can go negative. Into the -1 to -90 range. Indicating some passive regen soot burning activity. At similar rates to the deposition at other times. During an active regen, when post combustion fuel injection is raising the DPF input gas temperature to 600 degrees or beyond, the rate of soot burning reaches over -1000 mg/min. Sometimes nearer -2000 when it really gets going and the DPF is literally red hot internally! Hence it takes an awful lot of Italian Tune Up passive regen running to get close to the level of soot burn that an active regen can achieve. To the extent ITU's alone are not very effective for this purpose.

Some further thoughts:
a) You'll gather I've become a fan of VAG DPF to actually see what's going on with the DPF :). Better than guessing!
b) In the OP's case, could there be a hidden reason why active regens are not happening? Difficult to tell without running VAG DPF on his car to see?
c) How to interpret the soot mass figures given by Carista?

Reactions: MouldyPaul

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the comprehensive info. I’ll take a look in more detail later after work. I think it may be worth picking up a cheap old Android phone so I can run VAG DPF. From memory this won’t run on Apple devices ?

·
Premium Member
6,656 Posts
VAG DPF. From memory this won’t run on Apple devices ?
Correct! Unfortunately. :( Not available from the App Store. (I suspect Apple charge too much to make an iOS version worthwhile for the developers?)

Would you be able to use the Carista bluetooth transmitter OBD plug-in to transmit to the Android phone? I dunno?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does Carista show the oil ash content? The dpf burns off soot but not the oil ash. If it does show I have done a few more miles than you and my oil ash is 0.02.
Do you know if the car has had the emissions fix? If you put your vin number into the link below you can check, if it says you need the "fix" it has not been done, if it says you do not need it the deed has already been done.
The second link tells you more about the fix and the trust building exercise. I am NOT suggesting you should have it done.

Software Issue Diesel Engines EA189 (skoda-auto.com)

EA189 Service Action | ŠKODA Diesel Cars | ŠKODA UK (skoda.co.uk)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The VIN check shows that my car has had the EN 189 software installed. Does this affect anything ?

·
Registered
353 Posts
The full version of Carista has a facility to force a full DPF regen in the same way the dealers can, when I had a lot of short journeys over a few weeks I went on a long journey 30+ miles and triggered a full regen in Carista. It emptied the dpf more than the normal regen does.
I would make time to go on a decent drive and force a regen if I was you.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The VIN check shows that my car has had the EN 189 software installed. Does this affect anything ?
Yes, the "fix" file will cause it to regen far more often and its generally accepted that the DPF will soot up far quicker, the fix can be reversed by some tuners, but this can be anywhere between £100 and £300 from what I've read, and you need to make sure they're not just mapping over the top of the file but actually roll back to the previous non fix file (all files are still held on the ECU, it's just a case of telling the ECU which one to run).
There's a Facebook group that has loads of info about this, just search for "EA189 fix reversal assistance (VW diesel emission scandal) UK forum", they will also point you towards a tuner in your area that is trusted to do a proper job.

·
Premium Member
6,656 Posts
Excellent summary Mark! (y)
Just one change: your initial "Yes" should read "YES". :D
The VW emission software "fix" (I prefer the word "bodge" or even "mess up") affects plenty in this very area. To achieve lower NOx during regular running, they had to reduce combustion temperatures by timing the injection pulses over a longer period during each firing stroke. Hence more work for the injectors, more soot and more CO2 in the trade-off. The VW engineers who had such disdain for the Californian EPA test that placed greater emphasis on NOx over the other main emissions categories, actually had it right in the first place. From the planet's perspective anyway. Lower soot and CO2 in return for higher NOx. NOx only being a short term problem in large urban areas. (Plus domestic gas or oil central heating systems being a greater source than motor vehicles).

·
Administrator
15,576 Posts
Also, although no fault codes have been shown it could depend on what reader is being used, the likes of VCDS and the dealer software go much deeper than the cheap readers and Carista,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts