Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.
Since I purchased my yeti its covered 10,000miles. The dpf light came on once, and that was today. Is this normal? I use archoil every time I fill up at tesco, but recently I have been gulf diesel and not using the archoil, should I still use it with all diesel?
Any thoughts gladly welcomed.
"B"

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have found the VAG DPF app connected to a Bluetooth obd dongle lets me keep track of the health of the dpf. It is very noticable how quickly it fills up if I'm doing lots of little trips and pottering around. Take it out for a good long thrash and see if that helps.

Reactions: Flintstone

·
Registered
95 Posts
We have had our Greenline diesel for a little over 3 years, (10 months old and 2700 miles when purchased), and have driven about 23000 miles in that time. I have never seen a DPF light on the dash panel. As the car is normally only used for longer trips the DPF will be regened passively, I have only known a the car to carry out a forced regen on at most half a dozen occasions in those 3 years.

We do not use the car for short journeys, (we have a petrol Yeti for those). Frequent short journeys will load the DPF and prevent effective regens from taking place. There are those who recommend a motorway blast in low gear, the Italian tune up, I do not think that is necessary, (but it is clearly enjoyed by some?), but the engine, oil and exhaust need to be allowed to get hot to clear the DPF.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hi everyone.
Since I purchased my yeti its covered 10,000miles. The dpf light came on once, and that was today. Is this normal? I use archoil every time I fill up at tesco, but recently I have been gulf diesel and not using the archoil, should I still use it with all diesel?
Any thoughts gladly welcomed.
"B"
Use it every fill mate, except if you are buying premium diesel. It only costs a few pennies to add it and it does keep things nice and clean. Also, give the car a good old thrash through the gears and a long run to burn stuff off every now and again.

I've used it for years and NEVER had a DPF light yet.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all for the info.
Gave it a 30 mile run in forth gear also added archoil cleaner. All good now.
Will use archoil every fill. And give her a thrashing now and then. (Yeti)
Many thanks
"B"

·
Registered
74 Posts
Our Yeti only does 3 mile journeys twice a day. We use Millers additive and have never had a DPF issue. Car gets an Italian tune up once a month.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have only just bought a skoda yeti reg 60 plate with 128,000 miles from a second hand car dealer a couple of weeks ago.
The dpf light has just come on.
Is this a common thing to happen, or am I just 1 of the unlucky people that it happens to?
Eversince I took it for a test drive and paid deposit whilst waiting for a fresh mot certificate, there seems to have problems 1 after the other.
Does anyone know if this would come under the warranty to get sorted out rather than it being thrashed to try and overcome the problem and then return just after warranty expires

·
Premium Member
5,813 Posts
A) What length of journeys have you been doing?
B) Might be worth your while getting an ELM 327 Bluetooth transmitter to fit in the OBD port, and if you have access to an Android smartphone, then get the “VAG DPF” app from play store, to go with it. That will enable you to monitor exactly what the DPF is up to.

·
Premium Member
5,866 Posts
If orange light and only short journeys been done a longer faster drive should clear it in about 20 minutes when up to temperature.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for your help and advice.
I took the car back to the mot garage who has fixed the cv joint housing. They said that they purged the system so that it is not now on limp mode. I still would need to put in the additive cleaner and take for another long drive. They tried charging me for the purge, but eventually the dealership paid for that fee.
The main problem was that the dealership was saying that they couldn't do anything because of the lock down so would have to go through my warranty, but the warranty company said that it doesn't cover that problem.
Well at least with help those issues have been rectified now thanks.
I have now got other issues to address, so may need to ask you for your advice again I'm afraid.

·
Administrator
14,595 Posts
The dealer is responsible for ANY fault resent or developing at the time of sale for a period of six months. That is under consumer law.
As mentioned previously if you bought from a Dealer he is responsible under consumer law.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you for your advice.
Too what degree is the second hand dealership responsible for repairing or replacing faults or parts?
ie if a bulb blows, or you get a puncture, surely that is down to the customer not the dealership who sold you the car?
Also if they are liable for anything else going wrong with the car over the 6 month period, then why was it compulsory to pay an additional charge for a 6 month warranty/3 month breakdown cover & administration fee?

·
Administrator
14,595 Posts
The wording "a fault present or developing at the time of sale" is quite self explanatory. You bought it a couple of weeks ago, there is no way that the DPF can block in that length of time unless it was almost blocked when you bought it. It is quite likely why the previous owner sold it, put a bottle of cleaner in it, thrash it down the motorway for a couple of hours to clear it and extinguish the light and then sell it.

To put it politely including a puncture or a blown bulb is taking things a bit far. A dealer will sell you anything they can convince you to pay for. If I went to a dealer and they said I had to pay three months breakdown cover I would probably walk away, as for the six month warranty I would educate them about my consumer rights and if it meant walking away I would, but then I would also have a word with trading standards. When I bought my Yeti brand new I paid the deposit with a credit card, lots of points and extra protection, a matter of doing my homework before spending a large amount of money, I would do the same with a used car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry, I was obviously being a bit sarcastic I suppose with asking about the bulbs or punctures, as these things can happen at any time and not be due to any fault of the dealership. (sorry for trying to make light of the situation we are going through )
I do think that the dealership thought that they could easily sell this car to us with all of its problems with no questions asked or any comebacks.
It was my mother who is in her late 70s that wanted to buy it so that she would have a reliable car for me to take her to hospital appointments and get her shopping etc. She stipulated the car would have to be a 4x4 in the event of bad weather conditions.
We took the car for a test drive overnight to make sure that I was happy driving it different times of the day/road changes/easy shopping storage etc.
We both thought that it suited her needs, but I noticed a few things that were not quite right.
1 being a knocking noise that I thought was the cv joint housing as could see that there was something wrong.
2nd the abs light was on, which I knew from a previous car was an mot failure.
3rd the traction control light was on.
We said if you make the car roadworthy and get a new years mot done then we will buy it.
It took 3 months for them to finally say that it was now ready for collection.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts