Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a bit of a moment last night on the way home. Off a roundabout in 3rd, floored the throttle to accelerate onto a dual carriageway and the engine lost all power. Luckily managed to get across from the outside lane but there was no hard shoulder so had to limp along until there was a pull off area. Car wouldn't rev past 1200rpm and the glow plug symbol was flashing. I've done a search on here and it seems it may be the EGR valve but all the threads I could find mentioned a limp mode and still being abe to maintain a half decent speed even if there was no turbo effect. Mine just wouldn't rev and wouldn't pull any gear higher than 1st as the revs were too low to get 2nd to pull it.
Car is a 2012 Greenline 1.6tdi, 135k and not had any recalls done for the emissions.

Mechanic is coming round tonight with a scanner to see what it is but if it is the EGR and I can get it deleted with a remap (his main business is car electronics and race tunes) will that be a problem come MOT time? Don't really want to get it cleaned or replaced if there's a better and cheaper option. Car is mainly used for short distances which no doubt haven't helped.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have been through my last 2 MOT's with a deleted EGR valve, with no problem at all.

Reactions: Ming

·
Premium Member
6,191 Posts
Car is a 2012 Greenline 1.6tdi, 135k and not had any recalls done for the emissions.
How long have you had the car?

·
Premium Member
6,191 Posts
Are you sure it has not had the "Fix"?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep. Skoda wrote to me to say that the "fix" was available but I turned them down and it's been serviced by an independent mechanic since who knows not to update it

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mechanic turned up and diagnosed injector failed on number 1 cylinder. Thankfully a cheaper fix than a new EGR valve.......

·
Administrator
5,258 Posts
That's happened to a few and as you say a lot cheaper to fix than an EGR replacement.

·
Premium Member
6,191 Posts
Mechanic turned up and diagnosed injector failed on number 1 cylinder. Thankfully a cheaper fix than a new EGR valve.......
But the Greenline injectors are about double the price of an EGR valve although labour will be cheaper.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hope not. They're apparently such a common failure they normally keep them in stock and his is a general non franchise garage. He also reckons they're common across all VAG 1.6tdi engines - the only difference in power outputs is down to the state of the electronics, not the type of injector.
We'll find out for sure tomorrow when he gets a price from Euro Car Parts....

·
Premium Member
6,191 Posts
I hope not. They're apparently such a common failure they normally keep them in stock and his is a general non franchise garage. He also reckons they're common across all VAG 1.6tdi engines - the only difference in power outputs is down to the state of the electronics, not the type of injector.
We'll find out for sure tomorrow when he gets a price from Euro Car Parts....
Euro Car Parts for 1.6 Greenline.

·
Administrator
15,096 Posts
carparts4less are the same people and parts as Eurocarparts but are generally cheaper than ECP. However, when ECP are having one of their many sales they are the cheapest. so worth checking both.

The code mid20 gets 20% off the prices below

1 - 12 of 12 Posts