Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I will be taking the Yeti on its first trip abroad soon, Euro-tunnel then on into Germany.
I have the bi-xenon ?? lights ( the ones that move around when you start up), do I need to fit stickers onto my headlights?.. If so any advice on best type and where to get them . I suppose I will also need the appropriate set of spare bulbs.
All help much appreciated.

·
Administrator
14,193 Posts
If you are going before the end of the year nothing has change since Brexit (yet)

The headlights are a doddle, if you go into the maxidot menu (between the dials) and look for tourist mode, ticking the box flattens the beam and stops them turning, done in thirty seconds.
Replacing the headlight bulbs (or front indicators) is not a roadside option so a normal set of replacement bulbs for a Yeti will suffice.
Don't forget you need a high vis jacket for every person in the vehicle when in France, and at least the drivers must be accessible without getting outside the car.
The French have recently reduced the speed on some of their roads and are preying on brits so make sure you do not break the limit. It costs about fifteen euros per KPH you are over the limit and they will fine you for 1 kph over. If you are fined the envelope will come to your home address,if you don't pay immediately the offence will follow you over here. If you pay straight away no points and no need to tell your insurance, if you delay and it is transferred over here you will get points and must inform your insurance.
You will need an emissions sticker to drive in some cities in Germany, if you just drive from the train to Germany you will not need one for France, but will for some cities in France if you tour that country. I have emission stickers for France, Belgium and Germany. But if I just go straight to Germany only need that one.
You can pay for Eurotunnel with Tesco Club points if you have them and get 3 x value, we use club points to pay almost the whole fare and top up with a credit card.
If you have a Nationwide flexplus account you will already have breakdown cover, but check your documents.
Lots on info on this link. driving in europe

·
Administrator
4,870 Posts
The French speed limit changes affected local roads where the limit was 90KPH but now it is 80KPH. If you are driving straight through on autoroutes you'll never notice.
As far as I know you also are still supposed to carry at least two breathalysers in France. They introduced a law saying it was compulsory but then never introduced a law enabling the prosecution for not having one, so the police can insist you have one but not fine you for not doing so. You need two so that when you use one you are still compliant with the law as you have one left but if you only carry one then as soon as you use it and drive again you are breaking the law. I am sure it made sense to someone at the time..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the advice, it does appear that the Breathalysers in France are "recommended" not compulsory. I looked further into this and now find out that in Gemany, my ultimate destination, I will need to display an Emissions Sticker.
Failure to display is 80 Euros and possibly no onward journey.
Apparently they take 7 to 14 days to arrive, and I leave in 10 days, so its likely I will be chancing my luck with the Polizei.

·
Administrator
14,193 Posts
It depends which German cities you go to, some enforce them others do not. You will be able to buy one when you are out there, take your vehicle registration document with you. I think you can buy then from a main dealer amongst other places. When you get one don't stick it physically to the screen (which you are supposed to do) I fixed some clear plastic over the adhesive face of the disc and used to put it into a tax disc holder, I now have three parking ticket holders down the side of the screen. Then if/when you need a screen replacement you don't loose it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got my Emissions sticker yesterday, so that's only a week after purchase. In case anyone else is in the same situation, you go to www.berlin.de and its straightforward. You will need to scan the Logbook (I only sent sheet 2) and it only cost 6 Euro. So now all ready to hit the Autobahn !.

·
Administrator
14,193 Posts
If you stick some clear plastic on the face and put it under the parking ticket holder you will not have the potential of losing it if you have a windscreen replacement. I found out the hard way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts