Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Have been considering a Yeti for a while now to replace an old mk4 Golf GTI 1.8T.

Took a test drive in a 140 a few days ago. While I really like the car in general I was
a bit underwhelmed by the driving experience which was a surprise to me after all
I have read in the reviews and forums. It felt a bit slow and van like!

I suspect this is to do with the switch to diesel from a petrol golf. Having never driven
a diesel before, I was a bit concerned when I pressed the accelerator in 1st and not
much happened for a second or two. Is this lag normal or was this particular car out of tune in some
way.

I think I just need to get used to the different power bands in the 140CR engine to
learn how to enjoy it.

I then test drove a 1.2 to compare and found that a bit noisier in the cabin although the engine
was Ok. Maybe there is bettersound proofing in the diesel.
Any advise on driving the 140 to get the most out of it would be welcome as I do fancy the 4x4 and
suspect the 1.8TSI will be too thirsty (like my Golf!). Do you need to
rev the 140 much in low gears or change gears really quickly? I am going for
a test drive in another 140 tomorrow to give it another chance!

Thanks.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Hi Wimbo and welcome,Diesel does take a different driving style but you will find that the "in-gear" accelleration is great even with 4-up.
The handeling is certainly better in the YETI than most SUVs as it is a bit firmer in the suspension whilst not being hard.(also depends what you are used to)+You will find some SUVs lean over on cornering.

Engine wise I tend to go for bigger output engines,(I originally wanted a 140BHP model)so may I suggest a 2.0Lt 170 BHP model which I am going for.(0-62 in about 8.4 secs) although YETIs are more to be enjoyed for their character/interior space /towing & off road ability than sheer 0-62 times. Have a more relaxed drivenext time& possibly a longer run for you to get used to it. Best of luck
JOOKS

Edited by: JOOKS

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jooks.

I guess I shouldn't be comparing a much heavier diesel 4x4 SUV with a sports hatchback.
They are not the same type of car.

I would like to try the 170 as well, although they are not available at my local dealers at the
moment. Does the 170 seem more responsive in general everyday driving
around town and on A-roads or does it just have more pull overtaking on motorways?

·
Registered
471 Posts
wimbo said:
Thanks Jooks.

I guess I shouldn't be comparing a much heavier diesel 4x4 SUV with a sports hatchback.

I would like to try the 170 as well, although they are not available at my local dealers at the
around town and on A-roads or does it just have more pull overtaking on motorways?
Hi Wimbo my local dealer was useless could not even get me a 140 to drive but in the end I travelled a way out of town & found a dealer who had a second hand model with S/R. Drove (& SWMBO also as she is vertically challenged!) it twice for a ggod way on local, country & motorway, to establish both adequate BHP & head room as I am on the tall side. Both OK.
Sorry to say I can't help you on the more detailed stuff as you will see from my signature under this posting, I have now ordered a new one (10.10.13) for delivery late March !

·
Registered
471 Posts
JOOKS said:
wimbo said:
Thanks Jooks.

Hi Wimbo my local dealer was useless could not even get me a 140 to drive but in the end I travelled a way out of town & found a dealer who had a second hand model with S/R. Drove (& SWMBO also as she is vertically challenged!) it twice for a ggod way on local, country & motorway, to establish both adequate BHP & head room as I am on the tall side. Both OK.
Sorry to say I can't help you on the more detailed stuff as you will see from my signature under this posting, I have now ordered a new one (10.10.13) for delivery late March !
Sorry about that I only posted 1!
Edited by: JOOKS

·
Registered
394 Posts
Hi Wimbo, welcome to the forum...
We have a 140 with 5k miles on the clock and find it ok! Yes, you do have to be aware of the narrowish power band (same with most modern diesels) but you do get used to it, and we've found that the Yeti is a willing little work horse. We have actually come from a Discovery 1 so its a rocket ship compared to that but we have had quick motors in the past so I guess we can compare.
I've just been using ours to take some scrap to the local yard, about 8-9 miles away, approx. 1.5 tonnes and it handles it fine much to my surprise.
Hope that helps....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi,
Thanks for all your comments. Good news is that we had a another test drive today in
a 140 Adventure & a 140 SE Plus and the engines felt really good. I think the previous problem
was that the first car I drove a few days ago was cold and it takes a few minutes to wake up
and drive smoothly in low gears. Anyway am happy now - just need to decide on exact spec.,
colour and find a car for the right price.

One thing I noticed that the Adventure has bizarrely uncomfortable seats whereas the
similar SE Plus is really comfortable (with lumbar support)! On the Adventure there is
a vertical area up the seat back where the tyre track runs that is less padded. This creates
two ridges that you really feel. Strange. Unfortunately that ruled out the Adventure 140 for
us as my wife has a bad back. This is a shame as we like the style. The Adventure appears to
be an SE with added satnav and style features, and not an SE plus with added styling.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Hi wimbo and welcome, we have a 140 bhp diesel. It has 24k on the clock and is a willing worker, tows our caravan without trouble and has travelled as far north as theScottish borders and south as Gibraltar.Hettie hasnever beenfound to be ' wanting'.
Enjoy your choice, whatever it maybe.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hi Wimbo and welcome.

Skoda website has a really good used car finder if you are happy to travel to get the one you want.
I went this route and ended up getting mine from Rainworth in Mansfield.

Good luck with your search for new or used.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Went for a final test drive on 2013 140 SE Plus 4x4 but decided that there was something not quite
right with that particular car - couldn't quite pin it down, but didn't drive as smoothly as
other 140s we have tried. Also the dealer was marking up the price by £2500 for the added sunroof as compared with
other 2013 SE Plus's available at the moment. Given it is only a £1060 option, I think that is way too
much even if Yeti's with a sunroof are pretty rare. However they wouldn't budge on the price at all.
Never mind, the search continues - but looks like no Yeti for Xmas!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I bought a 110 diesel 4x4 SE Plus in May after a couple of 190 Freelanders and whilst there was obviously a difference in power I'm more than happy with the 110 although I don't tow anything.

Initially I found the SE seats quite uncomfortable after about an hour but either the seats or my bottom have softened as they're grand now.

From what I can tell from the Skoda website there's no such thing as the SE Plus anymore which would seem to be a shame, my car is effectively my office so the SE Plus gives me satnav and Bluetooth but without the frills, best thing I ever bought.

·
Administrator
14,898 Posts
I know you live in Surrey, but the dealer wasn't Garland Motors in Aldershot by any chance? When I was looking for a carthey couldn't be bothered to arrange a test drive, and earlier in the year when I contacted them about a service they did not even bother to reply.

I know they are not local to you but have you tried giving Rainworth a call, they may have something to tempt you. I and several others have been very pleased with their service. Allams of Epsom get good press on another forum.

·
Registered
471 Posts
wimbo said:
Went for a final test drive on 2013 140 SE Plus 4x4 but decided that there was something not quite
right with that particular car - couldn't quite pin it down, but didn't drive as smoothly as
other 140s we have tried. Also the dealer was marking up the price by £2500 for the added sunroof as compared with
other 2013 SE Plus's available at the moment. Given it is only a £1060 option, I think that is way too
much even if Yeti's with a sunroof are pretty rare. However they wouldn't budge on the price at all.
Never mind, the search continues - but looks like no Yeti for Xmas!
I would also try Jewsons (part of a group) in Oxford. They lease quite a few YETIS and buy them back - hence often have stock.
I think that you have done right up & followed your instincts about both car & dealer, Happy YETI hunting.
PS. Just seached their site & they do have some showing. (I must make it clear I do not have 1st hand of purchasing from this dealer!)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No it wasn't Garlands although I have been there brIefly. It was a dealer in West Sussex.
Can't really blaim the dealer for over pricing as I guess he was right in saying that he will sell it for the inflated price eventually, and they are prepared to wait. Not all their customers will research the prices and spec. as well as most members of this forum, and it is a relatively affluent area. Annoying though.
One thing I was very sceptical of was that he said that the profit they make on a 1 year old used Yeti is only £750, and hence couldn't reduce the price. I suspect they make more like 3K+ profit but might be wrong. Maybe he is including all their admin and salary costs in his calculation!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts