Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

We have a nearly new Yeti 2.0 TDI CR140PS 4x4 DSG DPF in our sights and would like to ask the forum for a real honest opinion on this vehicle and the automatic box.

Having already had a Mercedes with a tiptonic box and found the driving experience of an automatic vehicle very positive particularly the lower stress levels when crawling along in traffic queues.

The Yeti looks to be a suitable replacement for a manual Freelander but have concerns that we should stick to a manual box.

·
Administrator
13,118 Posts
Hi welcome to the forum.
I do not have a DSG gearbox, but I do have a 2.0 TDI 4x4 (I have covered 24000 miles) It drives very well indeed, the steering is precise, the brakes do not inspire confidence but work amazingly well, I have averaged over 52 mpg, it is very comfortable over long distances. The haldex 4x4 is very discreet, it has got me out of muddy fields that have beaten other cars. The Yeti just does everything I ask of it, travelling with four people on board makes no noticeable difference to performance, it is probably the best car that I have owned.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Hello Rvator and welcome. The Yeti DSG should give you the same sort of experience as your old Merc's Tiptronic transmission. Talking about the DSG in the simplest way, it is basically a manual gearbox with an automatic gear changing mechanism added on. It has three modes; Economy, Sport and manual (Tiptronic) selection.
I would agree with The Hoods previous comments. They just seem to do what you want them to do, and do it better than most other comparable vehicles.

Edited by: plbxr

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mng guys - thanks for your comments.

Have done a bit more searching of the forum and it is encouraging to find like yourselves that people are quite positive about the 4x4 version whether manual or auto.

Before owning the SLK we would not have touched an automatic but have been won over by the attributes it has to offer and are leaning towards the DSG Yeti but have that background uncertainty that is it going to be the right choice.

Unfortunately the vehicle have located is not in our area and although through the internet and telephone conversation with the dealer it is saying buy me it is a long way to go and find it was the wrong choice.

We have driven the 6 gear manual version at a near dealer but they don't have a auto version on the forecourt and together with the imminent change to the new model and the strange way of only being able to order a new Skoda and have it built and probably wait months before you get your hands on it is not looking good for having something available to test drive and inform our decision hence the forum post looking to other owners experiences and opinion of the VAG DSG autoEdited by: Rvator

·
Registered
471 Posts
Rvator said:
Mng guys - thanks for your comments.

Unfortunately the vehicle have located is not in our area and although through the internet and telephone conversation with the dealer it is saying buy me it is a long way to go and find it was the wrong choice.
Hi Rvator and welcome.
If you are happy to post your (approx) location & how far you would travel + Yeti age /spec etc, the folk on the forum are mighty helpful and may well give you some dealers who have them for sale?

·
Administrator
13,118 Posts
You never know if you give a rough idea of where you are, a member might let you test drive their DSG Yeti.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Have you had a look at what Skoda have ex-fleet cars? If there is one not too far away you could ask for a test drive before ordering the one you want from where ever.
Welcome to the forum btw.....

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for your responses.

I am going to follow through on the suggestions and locate an owner or a dealer more local willing to give a test drive of a Yeti or even another Skoda with the DSG box I have also been able to do a bit more research on the DSG gearbox and apart from actually getting hands on with a vehicle it does appear to offer standard park, reverse, neutral functions coupled with a shift sideways that enables changing gear manually up or down.

The experience so far with an automatic and the bit more have managed to find out does suggest a fairly versatile unit and from what people say on the forum posts it is okay to drive behind.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
We drove the manual 140PS 2.0DIversion and the amount of vibration on the clutch pedalwas extremely irritating. This one reason has always put me off diesels in the past.

Then we drove the DSG version with the same engine- smooth as silk - total control, no harshness at all.

The 140 felt quite perky at low revs but seemed to run out of steam quite low in the rev range. I know narrow power band is a common issue with any diesel but I just wanted a tad more power.

As a result, we have just ordered a DSG 170 TDI 4x4 - this will be the 24th car I have owned, yet will be myfirst oilburner in nearly 25 years of driving!

Edited by: 137699

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
137699 said:
We drove the manual 140PS 2.0DIversion and the amount of vibration on the clutch pedalwas extremely irritating. This one reason has always put me off diesels in the past.

Then we drove the DSG version with the same engine- smooth as silk - total control, no harshness at all.

The 140 felt quite perky at low revs but seemed to run out of steam quite low in the rev range. I know narrow power band is a common issue with any diesel but I just wanted a tad more power.

As a result, we have just ordered a DSG 170 TDI 4x4 - this will be the 24th car I have owned, yet will be myfirst oilburner in nearly 25 years of driving!

Just make sure you don't fill it with petrol, old habits and all that

·
Administrator
13,118 Posts
137699 said:

There is no vibration through my clutch pedal, perhaps the one you tried was a dud.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Funny, i've also noticed a small vibration but just thought it was me. Might mention it next time the car is at the dealers...

Anyone else noticed that?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Our clutchdoesn't vibrate as such but after starting and when letting the clutch out, out of gear, there is arumble/change of tone as the pedal reaches the end of its travel. Lousy description as that's not what it is really but it's hard to describe, I'd just put it down to something electrical happening.
Don't get to drive it much, I'll ask the enemy when she gets in.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Before I ordered a Yeti, I test drove everything that I could to try various combinations of engine, gearbox etc. Not all Yeti, by the way.

I settled for a 140 4x4 DSG, but only because a 170bhp was not an available option then.

Although I have only about 2400 miles on the clock, I have no issues with the engine/gearbox combination.

I find it a pleasure to drive. Very smooth, and impresively frugal compared with my last car, a Shogun.
The Shogun was the first automatic that I've owned, and there is no going back to a manual for me.

Steve

·
Registered
828 Posts
There is no vibration associated with my cars clutch, pedal or anywhere else. Hettie is a real smoothie..

·
Administrator
13,118 Posts
I checked mine on the way to work this morning, no vibration on raising or lowering, I even tried driving along with my hand on the pedal no vibration at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
As a 300bhp Jag driver I didn't expect to like the Yeti so much. My wife wanted an automatic Yeti, 4x4, decent acceleration without fuss, and a sunroof - so when we found one sitting in a showroom a year ago it was an instant purchase.
I think it's a great car, and the 140bhp diesel is just fine (but don't expect more than around 40mpg if you don't drive like a granny). The 6-speed wet clutch DSG box is well proven and has had fewer issues than the dry clutch 7 speed; the only thing to watch is not to sit in traffic in gear with the handbrake on, as you would with a normal torque converter automatic, because the first clutch is partially engaged in those circumstances and islikely to wear. When stationary with the footbrake on, though,the first clutch is almost completely disengaged. I've never found the need to use the Tiptronic, the gear changes are that good - particularly the way it drops a gear or two when you're going downhill and braking.
I think it's a really good gearbox and well matched with this engine; my brother reckons it's the best auto gear change he's experienced, and although I don't think it quite matches my Jaguar in smoothness it's certainly faster at changing on hard acceleration.

Edited by: Gnomeface

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Does the 2 litre diesel have the Dual Mass Flywheel? I understand that there have been issues in the past with the DMF's. Possibly the problem isn't quite sorted yet?
There are numerous alternative explanations for explaining vibrations associated with clutch pedal activation.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Gnomeface said:
my brother reckons it's the best auto gear change he's experienced, and although I don't think it quite matches my Jaguar in smoothness it's certainly faster at changing on hard acceleration.
When talking to interested others I often refer to the DSG gear change as "the best 8 milliseconds of your life".

·
Registered
26 Posts
I dont see how anything can be smoother then adual clutch transmission. I owned a jaguar XKR and you could feel every change even though it was real smooth you could still feel it. With a DSG you cant even feel the change you just see how your revs are dropping every now and then its so instant and smooth.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts