Yeti Owners Club banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I am looking to buy a 2015 TSI 7 speed DSG Yeti as a private sale, the car ticks all the boxes for me but I have come across the many concerns on this forum regarding the DQ200 DSG issue, with advice from various places that the 7 speed VW group box has known issues?

Before I make a costly mistake is there a list of checks that would be advised before I part with my money?

The car I am looking at was main dealer serviced until three years old but since then its less clear, what exactly is required to check and maintain health.

e.g. does the 7 speed box need something regularly done to maintain it?

I would really appreciate some reassurance as its a car I really want to buy!

Many thanks

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Hi and welcome. I have a 2016 1.2 SEL with DSG and I have not had any problems, in fact its the best driving automatic I have had. It needs no maintenance as its a sealed unit, so no oil changes. Recommend that when stopped in traffic or at lights to shift it into neutral to save wear on the clutch.

Reactions: Flintstone

·
Administrator
5,792 Posts
Welcome to the forum Zippy

The DQ200 is perhaps more prone to issues than the 6-speed DSG found in the diesel Yeti but that doesn't mean that they all are likely to suffer problems if treated properly. Forums by their nature tend to have more people reporting a problem than coming along and saying everything works fine so you can get a bit of a wrong impression but you are wise to take the trouble to get yourself informed.

Have you driven this car yet? How many miles has the car done? Did you notice any delay in changing gear as it should be almost imperceptible when everything is working fine and no noticeable noise or clunks or jerkiness. Some simple steps as Ruari suggests above about not leaving the gear in Drive when the car is stationary is a good practice to get into but what you won't know is how the car was driven by previous owner(s) as excessive clutch wear can be a more expensive repair on the DSG compared to a manual box.

There is no service of the 7-speed DSG, unlike the 6-speed, so if you have service records and there is any mention of work done on the DSG that maybe a warning flag. Unfortunately, no mention doesn't mean much though as regards future reliability. If you have a fault code reader maybe check the car via the OBD2 port for any faults logged if the seller will let you. A private sale means no warranty so you would need to take that into consideration in pricing.

Reactions: Ruari

·
Registered
Yeti 2017 2.0TDi 4x4 L&K DSG
571 Posts
My own personal experience.

Four different 6 speed DQ250 wet clutch DSG vehicles covering over 300k miles and not a single issue.

Our 7 speed DQ200 dry clutch history isn't as good.

2010 Golf 1.6TDi 20k miles no issue
2011 Fabia 1.2TSi, Clutch pack and flywheel replaced at 11k miles due to judder.
2014 Octavia 1.6TDi, Clutch slip in all gears and error messages. Replacement Clutch packs, flywheel, mechatronic, 2x new gear levers at 36k miles. (£5500).
2016 Yeti 1.2TSi, Clutch Slip and judder 2nd, 4th, 6th. New Clutch pack at less than 20k miles.
2016 Yeti 1.2TSi, Clutch Slip, near end of lease so returned slipping,
2017 Fabia 1.0TSi so far so good at 15k miles.

On the test drive ensure there's no judder from the clutch when pulling away and check for any amount of slip when changing up. Try to find a hill so you can check for slip when putting load through the gearbox.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts