Yeti Owners Club banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
I have various machines that run on petrol, so I wondered what exactly a tank full is.

Looking at Wynne’s site, 1ml treats 1 litre, so the bottle in question will treat 250 litres.
That works out at roughly 5p/litre, depending on where you buy it from. ECP are charging £1 more than Wynne’s price, which isn’t surprising.

I think I will put 97 octane petrol in, saves a lot of messing around for not a lot of gain.

·
Premium Member
Yeti S+ 2010 2.0TDi CFHA 110 2WD Manual
7,242 Posts
Additive only needed if your car is made prior to 2001ish (a few specific cars slightly later) with seals and pipes in the fuel system that are susceptible to being rotted by the solvent effects of ethanol. Even pre-2001 some cars are OK. Depends on the manufacturer. Ironically VW were fairly "alive" to the possibility, due to Beetles made in Brasil that have been running on E85 since the late 1960s, or thereabouts. The additive mitigates the effects of the ethanol.

In theory though, as the additive is a further diluent to the overall energy density of the "petrol", then should in theory cause a further, tiny deterioration in fuel consumption?

Trilux/Jim - petrol engine lawn mowers and power saws are another case of engines that may need additive to protect the fuel lines. Although in power saw case, the 2-stroke oil additive probably has a similar effect anyway? Or just strip the fuel system and replace any vulnerable pipes and seals with ethanol friendly equivalents?

·
Registered
908 Posts
Trilux/Jim - petrol engine lawn mowers and power saws are another case of engines that may need additive to protect the fuel lines. Although in power saw case, the 2-stroke oil additive probably has a similar effect anyway? Or just strip the fuel system and replace any vulnerable pipes and seals with ethanol friendly equivalents?
There is the additional problem I mentioned on a previous thread that you can’t keep two stroke mix using E10 for more than 30 days. Life.will be so much easier using the new style E5. It just takes all the problems away in one stroke with a not much greater cost than putting the additive in E10.

My petrol fleet: Quad bike, large rough grass cutter, 2 x chainsaws, hedge cutter, lawnmower, leaf blower, brush cutter. I use about 40 litres a year, the additional cost over using an additive would be about £1.50 pa. If you include P&P on the additive, it would actually be cheaper to use Super Unleaded.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I have seen what happens to countries where no-one is paying taxes. It is not pretty.
Isle of Man is very pretty! I've been there many times. :ROFLMAO:
A tongue-in-cheek comment, but it got me wondering.

The income tax burden on the Isle of Man is not a whole lot lower than the UK for someone earning, say, £50K...
Font Rectangle Material property Pattern Parallel

That's certainly a much smaller difference than I had previously assumed.

They also have National Insurance at a minimum of 11%.
When it comes to higher earners, the more you earn the better you fare. Any earnings above £200K are not subject to income tax.

·
Registered
908 Posts
A tongue-in-cheek comment, but it got me wondering.

The income tax burden on the Isle of Man is not a whole lot lower than the UK for someone earning, say, £50K...
View attachment 6441

That's certainly a much smaller difference than I had previously assumed.

They also have National Insurance at a minimum of 11%.
When it comes to higher earners, the more you earn the better you fare. Any earnings above £200K are not subject to income tax.
Not to mention VAT at 20% but it is a lovely place.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Indeed it is. I thought Douglas was bang average, but the rest of it is very nice.
It has been 25 years since I was there, though.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Apologies.
It's still nicer than my home town, though!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Apologies.
It's still nicer than my home town, though!
No need to apologise. Most towns have a few run down area's. The government are in the process of modernising the prom. The best thing is within 10 minutes drive we can be in the forest or up the mountain road. We moved here for quality of life and feel very safe walking around Douglas at night.

·
Premium Member
Yeti S+ 2010 2.0TDi CFHA 110 2WD Manual
7,242 Posts
Yes I do. We are 10 minutes walk from the the centre just behind the TT grandstand.
Visited many times for rallies (4 wheel motorsport variety), usually based at TT Grandstand Service Park.
Also have farming friends up near Andreas, one just outside Glen Vine and another in West Baldwin.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Visited many times for rallies (4 wheel motorsport variety), usually based at TT Grandstand Service Park.
Also have farming friends up near Andreas, one just outside Glen Vine and another in West Baldwin.
We had the Manx rally last weekend. Great seeing the cars driving around from stage to stage amongst the local traffic.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I wasn't long out of university when I visited, and didn't have much money. We stayed in a B&B towards the north end of the prom, for the princely sum of £12 a night!! You might imagine what it was like inside!

That place did put me off a bit, but I will return one day. I've been planning a lap of Britain by boat for a while now, and Peel marina is slated for one of my overnight stops.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I wonder how long until the add something to diesel to reduce its economy too?
They have been adding biodiesel for years, slowly increasing the %, although this has less of an effect on MPG as E10 is reported to have.

·
Premium Member
Kia Niro HEV2 and MG Midget
5,799 Posts
Well I did a hospital run to Shrewsbury yestrtday, total of 91 miles , and averaged 69.8 mpg so I'm not complaining.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Well I did a hospital run to Shrewsbury yestrtday, total of 91 miles , and averaged 69.8 mpg so I'm not complaining.
Diesel of course,I had a Tdi Passat with the AFN engine before the Yeti,and on a trip to Devon once at about 2000rpm managed 71mpg,the computer read more but they can be up to 10% optimistic.I believe the AFN 1.9 Tdi is the best engine VW ever made!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Diesel of course,I had a Tdi Passat with the AFN engine before the Yeti,and on a trip to Devon once at about 2000rpm managed 71mpg,the computer read more but they can be up to 10% optimistic.I believe the AFN 1.9 Tdi is the best engine VW ever made!
I had the AFN engine in an A4 Avant, that would return 50 mpg around town and it was 18 years old with 180K on the clock, fantastic engine.

·
Registered
2017 L&K Outdoor 1.4 TSi
61 Posts
Over 3 years of ownership, my Porsche 928S4 averaged 17.15mpg. The least I got on one tank was 12.46mpg, and my best ever was 21.24mpg. :)

21 - 40 of 55 Posts