Yeti Owners Club banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
Yeti Outdoor 2017 SE L 2.0TDi 150 4x4 Manual
7,449 Posts
Also thanks to Flintstone for the comprehensive coolant table. I've printed it off for safe keeping.
Much as it might be tempting, I cannot claim sole authorship. :LOL: I think the original was from a link posted by either Cubes or Mark in another thread about G40 coolant. That set me on a research journey of my own that uncovered a couple of extra snippets. Thinking the same as yourself, I created my own spread sheet to hold the info. (Spread sheets and databases far more complex than this used to be my daily bread and butter). Recently updated a tad further with info from the link in #13. The innovation I can claim as my own is the attempt to match the actual coolant colours with header colours in the spread sheet and the colour indication which mixtures result in brown coolant. Not 100% accurate but may help? (Isaac Newton quote: "If I have seen further than most, it is only by standing on the shoulders of giants!"). Like working with electrical fittings, it would not help to be colour blind when working with the complexities of engine coolants? o_O

At one point I did consider adding columns and rows for the yellow and green coolants used by several other car manufacturers. Then decided "too complex". Plus not relevant to Yetis. Unlikely that any of those would be mix-compatible with the G12 to G13 ranges used by VW during the Yeti build period.

The bit about some mixes resulting in a brown coolant was highly relevant to my own experience with the Octavia in my servicing fleet. During a routine inspection service its owner and I discovered the coolant was a muddy brown colour. Which created some anxiety about internal corrosion possible somewhere in the system? We fully flushed the system and replaced the header tank. Only to discover the brand new tank for an Octavia was made from the same brown tinted plastic (doesn't help!). So the colour of the original tank was not the rust deposits we had feared. Re-filling with G12++/G40. It was a couple of months later that I learned about this brown effect from mixing earlier types of coolant. Possibly/probably brought about by the mixing of original coolant remaining in the system, with newer coolant used to top up following the replacement of the cam belt and water pump. 12-months further down the line, the G12++ in the car remains bright red/violet with no sign of rust or any other contamination and is full strength according to the Gunsons tester. Anxiety levels dramatically reduced!! :D

* N.B. *
The remaining area of greatest doubt about the veracity of information in the table, concerns the dates when each type was used as "factory fit". I may have G13 and G12++ mixed up there (ironically in view of the purpose of the table :(). Further reading and re-reading of earlier references suggests G12++ actually post-dates G13. Rather than the sequence suggested by the G numbering. So G12++ is a return to Ethylene Glycol based technology, following the bad experience with G13 in practice, as reported in #1 of this thread and the quote from "another place" reported by The Hood.
A further update to the table hence coming up. I'll place/replace that in #13 to avoid that containing "bad" information.

Edit:
After some time combing BASF's own web site (as distinct from whatever VW or others say), The table displayed in #13 has now been revised and updated. Particularly in respect of the colours and chemistries. "New learnings" (= main differences from previous versions of this table) include:
  • The entire range of coolants is known by BASF (the manufacturer who supply VW) as "Glysantin". Not just G13or G12++. Hence the "G" numbers?
  • Some of the earlier colour designations, gleaned from other sources, have been updated with what BASF say themselves, particularly G12++/G40 is believed to be "red/pink". I.E. A deeper shade of pink than G12.
  • The G12 and G13 designations referenced by VW and used on the header tanks are not referenced by BASF directly.
  • The VW approval codes (back label of packs) quoted by BASF are now included in the table.
  • There's a new Glysantin out according to BASF, called "G65". Coloured a mix of the earlier types. Its VW designation unknown at this stage. Manufactured since June 2018. That means unlikely to have ever been used as factory fill in Yetis (ceased production Sept 2017). But may be relevant to Karoq owners and other VAG brands? So included for completeness. Or been used in a Yeti that has its coolant replaced since 2018?
  • "G12evo" is referenced by some other sources. I've not yet been able to figure if this is synonymous with "G12++" or is some other, intermediate designation? Possibly a copy/alternative made by someone other than BASF?
-

Reactions: Robjon
21 - 23 of 23 Posts