Manufacturer Böhmisch-Mährische Maschinenfabrik, Škoda
Produced 4 March 1944 – 11 May 1945
No. built Approx. 2,827
Notta lotta people know that!
;)

·
Administrator
4,561 Posts
You would have liked oneof those Colin, as it's got a petrol engine. Fuel economy not much to write home about though.

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wonder if I could borrow that for the next 4x4 Response training day?
I'm sure Bovington Tank Museum could oblige.........for a price!
Did anyone see the programme on Tanks on BBC2 last evening?

After I was made reductant from Shell I did a 2 year full time Poole College course on historic vehicle restoration.
This involved 8 weeks working int e Bovington Tank Museum workshop........
https://www.tankmuseum.org/home
When it's open again and you can travel the distance, it is one of THE BEST days out you can have if you are interested in the history of the tank from day one to the present day. They have hundreds of tanks from all around the world.
I worked on what is now the now only working Tiger in the world..
It was captured in the North African campaign by a squadron of British tanks.
When a round from our side hit the mantle of the Tiger, didn't explode, ricochetted up to the under side of the barrel and then down into the turret ring gear, jamming it. The Tiger crew thought they were goiig to 'brew up' and legged it. We jumped into it and drove it home.
The marks are clearly visible on mantle, barrel and base of the turret.
For all my hard work I was presented with one of the knackered wheel bearings, about 6 inch diameter ball race.
The even have a TIGER DAY every year (covid notwithstanding) when it can be seen in all it's magnificence actually being driven. A truly awesome machine.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Tanks for the memories Colin.

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:giggle:BOOM BOOM!:LOL:

·
Registered
92 Posts
When confronted head-on with either an active Tiger or Jagdpanzer, I'd be tempted to bugger off fairly rapidly and try get a rear shot into them ...I watched both the programmes earlier this week about 5RTR and the design of the British tanks (not the USA Shermans though they left a lot to be desired too ) was nothing short of criminal with the straight armour rivetted on. The RAC should have dragged the designers out to the battlefront and let them see how pathetic the armour was ! Every tanker in the RAC was a hero going out to face the Panthers/Tigers/Jagdpanzers & the .88 Anti Tank guns.....Rant over . End.

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Blimey Bantam you MUST be old!:oops:
As I am a great fan of the Bovington Museum I know what you mean about the build quality of some of the inhabitants of the museum. Brave chaps indeed, specially with the Matilda's 2lb'er pea shooter (same as the Bofors) against the 88s and similar.
As a 'Tanky', I am sure you know exactly how the Bovington Tiger was 'acquired'. An amazing story and an amazing piece of luck.
Over the M,B to the G,Fs beyond!;)

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So do I. I am a huge fan of that very strange but very clever chap. I have seen all his loony projects.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I’m a great fan of Guy Martin too. I was talking to a chap (non motorcyclist) a while back who mentioned that he had read GM’s autobiography. I asked him what he thought of it. He replied it was OK except for all the boring bits about racing circuits......hmmmmm....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts