Yeti Owners Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Skoda yeti 2.0 elegance tdi cr 4x4
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting intermittent electrical issues - started off couple weeks ago the wing mirrors not always folding when I turn switch but has progressed to starting issue
9 out of 10 starts ok but occasionally turns over doesn’t fire - “stabilisation error” message on the dash and engine symbol stays lit - turn off and on a few times and it usually clears - tonight took about 7 or 8 switch off and back on to get started . Also tonight came up with no bending lights error message .
stopped at paper shop on way home after 5 minutes driving - when I started car again no faults no messages no lit engine symbol and the lights working correctly again

seems to be kind of like when used to get bad earth on older cars many years back

was in local independent garage for oil change and winter check last week I asked them to check earths etc they said they found no issues .

Any advice welcome please 🙏

·
Administrator
5,842 Posts
First issue you mention was wing mirrors which would point to a common issue on Yeti's of the age of yours of a problem in the wiring loom to the front doors. See if you can pull back the rubber cover between the door and the A pillar and check for broken wires. Given the Canbus system in the Yeti a broken wire in one part can give strange errors that appear to be elsewhere. Having said that earthing does also sound a possible cause and problems are not easy to see if the garage just did a manual inspection, as corrosion occurs inside the earth strap covering.

·
Premium Member
Yeti Outdoor 2017 SE L 2.0TDi 150 4x4 Manual
7,449 Posts
seems to be kind of like when used to get bad earth on older cars many years back

was in local independent garage for oil change and winter check last week I asked them to check earths etc they said they found no issues .
What SnowGood just said, plus:
Just because an earth cable looks OK on the outside, does not mean it is OK on the inside. Especially the cable between the car's body frame and the engine / gearbox. Which is harder to check visibly, but much more prone to failure than the easily checked battery to body cable.

I had a group of weird issues on my daughter's FIAT last year. Dealer workshop said: "Needs new steering column to fix the power steering fault". A £30 new earth strap fixed that permanently instead.

Reactions: bryetian and Robjon

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What SnowGood just said, plus:
Just because an earth cable looks OK on the outside, does not mean it is OK on the inside. Especially the cable between the car's body frame and the engine / gearbox. Which is harder to check visibly, but much more prone to failure than the easily checked battery to body cable.

I had a group of weird issues on my daughter's FIAT last year. Dealer workshop said: "Needs new steering column to fix the power steering fault". A £30 new earth strap fixed that permanently instead.
I had same issue on a Fiat grande punto - the Fiat forum said change earth so I did and it was fixed

·
Administrator
16,376 Posts
Fully agree with the loom and earth suggestions above, how old is the battery? A failing battery can cause all sorts of problems and there is always a chance that you might have two problems rather than one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fully agree with the loom and earth suggestions above, how old is the battery? A failing battery can cause all sorts of problems and there is always a chance that you might have two problems rather than one.
I have no idea how old battery is …
Will check cables etc on my next day off on Thursday …
Thank you all for the replies

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Replaced battery with new heavy duty unit - no problems currently but original problem was intermittent so can’t say it’s cured yet .
thanks again for the advice .
haven’t had time to take the door skin off yet as packing for a house move …

·
Premium Member
2015 Elegance Greenline II
7,023 Posts
Is that to check wiring between A pillar and door?
If yes have you tried pulling back the rubber boot each end to check the wires?

·
Premium Member
Yeti Outdoor 2017 SE L 2.0TDi 150 4x4 Manual
7,449 Posts
Replaced battery with new heavy duty unit - no problems currently but original problem was intermittent so can’t say it’s cured yet .
thanks again for the advice .
Replacing the battery with a heavy duty unit may well hide the problem for a time. But highly likely it will come back when the new battery gets depleted due the original, underlying cause. Like treating the symptoms of an illness, rather than the cause.

As Urrell said in #8 - no need to take the door card off to check the wiring. Just unclip and pull back the rubber boot where the wiring loom passes from door frame to A-pillar. If any of the wires inside show signs of cracked insulation or broken copper - that is the classic door loom issue. (See other threads on the specific subject). If no signs of cracked or fraying wires - that's not your problem. :)

8 times out of 10 intermittent electrical problems, including reduced battery life due to incomplete charging, are caused by failing electrical earth cables. Particularly the one between chassis frame and engine block or gearbox casing. As mentioned in #3.

Meanwhile a cheap voltmeter like the link below, can tell you a lot about both the state of the battery and the effectiveness of the charging circuits. This one also allows two gadgets like mobile phones or dash cams to be charged at the same time....

·
Premium Member
2015 Elegance Greenline II
7,023 Posts
Good idea thanks - need to have a look at the switch for the mirrors too it seems to be a bit hit and miss
That could be a broken wire inside the rubber boot too.
First place to look under the boot.

Reactions: Flintstone
1 - 11 of 11 Posts