Yeti Owners Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I've scoured this forum for an answer but most seem to relate to the pre f/l model with the HT lead issue. I have a 2016 1.2 TSI SE Outdoor and my issue seems very similar, with the revs jumping/engine surging and then dropping back again. The problem tends to occur in higher gears around the 1.5-2.2k rev range and under very light throttle/slight acceleration but I understand this model doesn't have HT leads.

It's been into the dealership and they were unable to diagnose a fault so I'm really hoping someone out there might know a fix? I've only had the car a couple of months and it's done 56k miles. It came with a pretty comprehensive service history but I can see no mention of spark plugs being changed so I thought that might be worth a relatively cheap punt to see if that solves the problem? Or potentially the coil pack?

Here's a video I uploaded demonstrating the issue.

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
Yeti S+ 2010 2.0TDi CR110 2WD Manual
7,039 Posts
Slightly different symptoms to yours, but an intermittent misfire on the Ford KA in my fleet (see list in my full signature), turned out to be coil packs. That would post up misfire codes on cyls 2 & 3 every now and again. Sometimes 3-4 weeks apart. Sometimes longer up to 2-3 months. Always on 2 & 3. SWMBO reported it as "going into limp mode". That could be cured temporarily by switching off for a few minutes. Then would be fine after restarting. continuing fine for several weeks after.

Like you suggest, I started by fitting new spark plugs (twice, 12 months apart, 2nd time NGK). Then new HT leads - the KA has leads 3-4" long from coil pack to plugs. Finally I unlocked the wallet and stumped up the £100 for a new Hella coil pack from CP4L. The KA shares a platform and ALL mechanical bits plus the same assembly line in Poland with its sibling the FIAT 500. That means it while it does have an individual coil pack for each cyl, those are not separate, but all contained in a single unit, with one ECU input and four HT outputs. Been fine since. The new coil pack was made by Hella. The original by Champion. Which could account for a lot?

Reactions: Skandahooligan88

·
Registered
2014 Yeti S 1.2TSI
19 Posts
When you say dealership, was it a Skoda/ VAG dealership with the appropriate diagnostic equipment?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When you say dealership, was it a Skoda/ VAG dealership with the appropriate diagnostic equipment?
Hi, it was a Motorline Skoda dealership in Canterbury so I'm assuming they have all the necessary gear? The feedback when I picked it up was that it might be an electrical fault but that they'd have to spend more time diagnosing it. As they charge £96/hour, I thought I'd turn to the internet first.
Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Slightly different symptoms to yours, but an intermittent misfire on the Ford KA in my fleet (see list in my full signature), turned out to be coil packs. That would post up misfire codes on cyls 2 & 3 every now and again. Sometimes 3-4 weeks apart. Sometimes longer up to 2-3 months. Always on 2 & 3. SWMBO reported it as "going into limp mode". That could be cured temporarily by switching off for a few minutes. Then would be fine after restarting. continuing fine for several weeks after.

Like you suggest, I started by fitting new spark plugs (twice, 12 months apart, 2nd time NGK). Then new HT leads - the KA has leads 3-4" long from coil pack to plugs. Finally I unlocked the wallet and stumped up the £100 for a new Hella coil pack from CP4L. The KA shares a platform and ALL mechanical bits plus the same assembly line in Poland with its sibling the FIAT 500. That means it while it does have an individual coil pack for each cyl, those are not separate, but all contained in a single unit, with one ECU input and four HT outputs. Been fine since. The new coil pack was made by Hella. The original by Champion. Which could account for a lot?
That's really interesting to know. I've just asked my local garage to quote me for replacing the coil pack and plugs so if it's not exorbitant I might just go for it and hope that solves the problem.

·
Registered
387 Posts
That's really interesting to know. I've just asked my local garage to quote me for replacing the coil pack and plugs so if it's not exorbitant I might just go for it and hope that solves the problem.
My brother had the plugs,leads and coil pack replaced for £200.In his case it was a 2010 1.2tsi,at about 60,000 miles.He had the EML light on with the misfire!

·
Registered
419 Posts
If you're near Canterbury, have a chat with the chaps at The Motorist Centre in Heresden.

Ben, Nathan and Jame are great guys and will give you good honest advice .

No connection, just a happy customer. We've been using them for years for various VAG cars.

Ian

Reactions: Skandahooligan88

·
Registered
Yeti 2017 2.0TDi 4x4 L&K DSG
498 Posts
On a TSi plugs and coil packs are the go to culprits for hesitation.

But for surging if the engine revs are hunting but there's no corresponding surge in speed it could be a DSG issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you're near Canterbury, have a chat with the chaps at The Motorist Centre in Heresden.

Ben, Nathan and Jame are great guys and will give you good honest advice .

No connection, just a happy customer. We've been using them for years for various VAG cars.

Ian
Thanks Ian, I'll give them a call.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts