Yeti Owners Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 Yeti 1.2 tsi with 50k miles, 6-speed manual gearbox. When driving without the accelerator being depressed, in other words while coasting, there is a grinding or rattling noise coming from the front of the vehicle. It gets louder as speed increases. Depressing the clutch makes the noise stop. Depressing the accelerator makes the noise stop. So I the noise is only there when the engine (and gearbox?) isn't under load. It isn't partiularly loud, but I think it may have become a litle louder over the last few thousand miles. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
There are some similarities with this thread: Knocking sound | Yeti Owners Club

I think your description points to progressive failure of the Dual Mass Flywheel.

Repair requires the gearbox to be removed so renewing the clutch and the release bearing at the same time is sensible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I read the thread you refer to. But it isn't a knocking sound and it doesn't only happen when the engine is cold. Its most noticeable at 60mph on the motorway and is a kind of thrumming, scraping sound. It disappears when the accelerator and clutch are pushed down.

·
Premium Member
Yeti S+ 2010 2.0TDi CR110 2WD Manual
6,858 Posts
Does the 1.2 TSi motor have a DMF? In either of that engine designation’s two guises?

Edit: Consensus of opinion on the Dark Side, summarised in 2019 by MuddyJim, seems to be that while 1.2 motors coupled to DSG boxes have DMFs fitted, those engines coupled to a 6-speed manual box have a Single Mass Flywheel. Supported by reports from mechanics who have changed clutches on the manual versions. Although there does appear to be a distinct lack of clarity from either VW or Skoda UK.

Davedd - if you plug your car’s registration into the CarParts4Less web site, then look for transmission and flywheels, does it indicate a single or dual mass unit?

Alternatively, could the noise described be a noisy air con compressor? Our Yeti has had one of those for over 130,000 miles, but that is more noticeable at idle than at speed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Flintstone, I went to that site and it lists the engine as having a DMF. Will investigate further the possibility of that being a cause of the noise. Regarding aircon compressor, wouldn't that only make a noise when the aircon is switched on?

·
Administrator
15,744 Posts
I just took the liberty of adding your vehicle details to your signature line, that saves having to go up and down the posts to see what vehicle you are asking advice for.

·
Premium Member
Yeti S+ 2010 2.0TDi CR110 2WD Manual
6,858 Posts
Regarding aircon compressor, wouldn't that only make a noise when the aircon is switched on?
That could what you might expect. The opposite is the case in practice however. A noisy AC compressor (mine is not the only one) is most audible when the unit is DIS-engaged. It seems to be the pulley that is the origin. When the AC is engaged and the compressor under load under load, the noise is (almost) inaudible.

Incidentally, for those who have never experienced it, the noise in question is a sort of mild "graunch, graunch graunch" noise. A bit like scraping two rusty metal plates against against each other. At about 1/3 engine speed. Most audible at idle. And, even more oddly, more audible from inside the cabin, rather than from under the bonnet. At higher engine speeds, other noises tend to drown out this particular noise. Same when moving, when tyre noise is much louder.

·
Administrator
15,744 Posts
Mine sometimes makes that type of noise but with mine it is the fan in the dashboard. If I increase the speed and then reduce it to where it was originally it goes away. It sounds like a dry bearing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts